Post your offroad vehicle

TAGS

Well-known member (45 ACP)
^ nice. Looks like I'm going to need to replace my auto hubs with manual ones. For some reason they are not engaging, I know auto hubs are troublesome for that reason. They worked just fine before. I recently replaced my rotors and brakes so I make have assembled them wrong.

mdashoot

Forum Supporter
Yeah that sound was horrifying
I cant believe he broke the diff and transfer case. We have no idea how that happened. You can see the driver side tire slipping then it hits the ground and boom, thats the text book way to break the diff but nobody has ever broke the TC.

Not trying to get laughed at but...does anyone have a late model Explorer, and if so, would you do this kind of stuff in it? Their marketing is so vague as to the 4x4 capability but I see Metro has a ton of them and they (presumably) go into the desert often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to get laughed at but...does anyone have a late model Explorer, and if so, would you do this kind of stuff in it? Their marketing is so vague as to the 4x4 capability but I see Metro has a ton of them and they (presumably) go into the desert often.
No reason to get laughed at. The problem with the 5th gen Explorers isn't the 4WD system. The system is a lot like the ones you'll find in the current Land Rovers, and with decent tires is actually pretty capable in any conditions short of rock crawling or mud bogging. The main issue is ground clearance. Stock the new Explorer only has about 7.6" of clearance. The unibody and F/R IS design seriously limits the lift capabilities. Right now I think the best lifts available only provide a couple inches of lift and space to fit 30" tires. It's barely what a non-Pro4X Frontier has stock.

With some decent tires, skids, and recovery points for the occasional strap assist, you could probably join in on the type of trip they just went on, but it may be close to the limit of the vehicle's capability.

Metro does have quite a few Explorers, but I doubt they spend that much time taking them out into the desert. Most of the desert is patrolled by the BLM, and they tend to drive full-size pickup trucks and larger SUVs like the Tahoe or Expedition.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into my next new vehicle and want to do stuff like this but 80% of my travel is highway and would like some comfort for the daily drives.

TAGS

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into my next new vehicle and want to do stuff like this but 80% of my travel is highway and would like some comfort for the daily drives.

Too aggressive a tire will make your daily drive suck. Noisy tires get on my damn nerves.

Noted. Thanks

I'm also considering a Cherokee (maybe the grand not sure yet) would that make a difference?

I've thought about getting another Wrangler (I've had 2 but long ago) but as memory serves they weren't the best for daily commuting.

b0neZ

Noted. Thanks

I'm also considering a Cherokee (maybe the grand not sure yet) would that make a difference?

I've thought about getting another Wrangler (I've had 2 but long ago) but as memory serves they weren't the best for daily commuting.

About 10 years ago I had mid-90's Cherokee Sport. Inline 4.0L six cylinder, automatic transmission, and enough torque to pull a Crown Victoria out of mud that it was buried up to the frame in.

It did have a set of fairly aggressive tread tires, but it was still comfortable enough to drive on a daily commute, yet handled its own off road as well.

To this day, it's still cruising the mean streets of upstate Washington, with very little problems that I've heard of.

Noted. Thanks

The type of vehicle you'll get will depend upon if you're looking at the old Cherokees (or Grands) or new ones. The older XJ (up to 2001) Cherokees are fantastic off-road vehicles. Live axles front and rear and more mod choices than your wallet can handle. They're quite livable on-road when properly maintained as well. Unfortunately because they're capable and cheap, finding one that hasn't been used and abused is getting tough. ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (up to 2004) are similar, with solid axles front and rear. There are some body and suspension differences (coil versus leafs) between the Grands and the regular Cherokees which make mods for the Grands a bit more expensive, but on the flip-side on-road manners are nicer in the Grands. In my experience it's also a bit easier to find a used Grand in good condition.

If you're talking the new, current Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, they're completely different beasts than the older ones. The Cherokee is still fairly new, and I'm not sure if the jury is in on just how capable they can be off-road. They're certainly going to be more capable stock than a current Explorer. There have been some statements that lifting the new Cherokee isn't feasible, but they said the same thing about the Liberty and now there are quite a few options for adding height to that. I think the new Cherokee needs a few years before we're able to see what it's really capable of.

The new Grand Cherokee is pretty much the closest thing US car makers have to a Range Rover. It's decently capable, but those capabilities are due largely to its electronic terrain control features. They're very good, and if your use is mostly on-road with the occasional desert track or fire road, you'll probably love a new Grand.

The Wranglers built after 2012 have redesigned seats and are very comfortable. There is even a slight difference between the 2012 and 2014. They are road friendly and still maintain their off-road abilities. Here's a couple of pictures of the '12 I owned, before trading for a '14.

Here are a couple of the '14.

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
The 4 door wranglers are awesome and I do want to get one in the future when I drive my daily to the ground. For now my off road project/vehicle is a 98 cherokee sport. I cannot say enough great things about how capable the older generation Cherokees are! The good thing is that they can usually be had for cheap if you stock craigslist for deals and can be modded to be a capable off road monster as well. However they do have their pitfalls. The unibody chassis isn't the strongest and any serious dings to the rear body panels cannot be replaced. If you're getting into any serious rock crawling the frame will need to be reinforced to keep from bending the unibody. The years to avoid would be 2000-2001 since they are known to have their cylinder heads castes out of lesser grade metal which causes them to crack. All in all the vehicles are easy to work on. Head on to cherokeeforum and post in the Las Vegas section there is a wealth of knowledge on that site

Sent via pony express

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I love my wrangler. It is a '08 JKU which has gone everywhere I have asked it too. Then again I am a jeep freak and have had 5 now and love every one of them. My wife has a '14 JKU and that one is better then mine engine-wise. I have 35" KM2's and the wife's has 33" duras. Both have some noise from the tires but imo that is part of the fun. :)

Attachments

mdashoot

Forum Supporter
I love my wrangler. It is a '08 JKU which has gone everywhere I have asked it too. Then again I am a jeep freak and have had 5 now and love every one of them. My wife has a '14 JKU and that one is better then mine engine-wise. I have 35" KM2's and the wife's has 33" duras. Both have some noise from the tires but imo that is part of the fun. :)
I have always liked the newer jeeps, especialy the Rubicon. They are just expensive and cost a ton to build up.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have always liked the newer jeeps, especialy the Rubicon. They are just expensive and cost a ton to build up.

Agreed, hence why I build mine up. :) I almost always get near base levels and modify the hell out of them. Hell on mine i plasma cut and removed that stupid cubby trunk and welded in a deep trunk so I could store quarts of various fluids for in case scenarios while off-roading. I also have some other gear in there. It just boggles my mind that there was that tiny space before.