• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best bang for buck prepper radio????

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
This is interesting. Have you tried one out? (If that video is your video, that answers that question 😄 )

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Do the 2m hack for us to see if it works then! :ROFLMAO:

I don't want to brick my own!

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
All of the yellow radios in the video Tx from 100mhz to 999mhz. It definitely works. I have only tested 144mhz 220mhz and 440mhz. No issues as long as you have a proper antenna. But tx at 999mhz with no filtering? Maybe not good for the radio

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Pretty cool
I did order one.

I don't know anything about DMR or any other digital mode. I haven't really had much of a desire. But that's a topic for another discussion though.

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
It is supposedly 5watts. I will put it on the meter tonight.

Keep in mind, for small unit comms, you want to keep power as low as possible to avoid direction finding adversaries.

Also keep in mind, a DMR protocol signal can be heard with full clarity almost to the very limit of it's range. That is to say, a DMR signal will not degrade over distance like analog fm.

Additionally, power has almost no affect on range when compared to antenna efficiency and height. This is why you can hear satellites from space in full clarity despite weak yet efficient power transmitters on board the space craft. It is because they have direct Line of Sight to the radio.
Tait-DMR-vs-Analog.png

varminter22

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Pretty cool
I did order one.

I don't know anything about DMR or any other digital mode. I haven't really had much of a desire. But that's a topic for another discussion though.
I am darned sure NOT an authority/expert on the matter, but from what I'm learning the Yaesu Fusion system is the way to go (instead of DMR) these days.

I can say I have a Yaesu Fusion handheld and it is great.

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
I am darned sure NOT an authority/expert on the matter, but from what I'm learning the Yaesu Fusion system is the way to go (instead of DMR) these days.

I love the simplicity and function of fusion radios. I have quite a few. But their functionality shines in the above ground amateur world, not necessarily the tactical world.

To be sure, using C4FM digital radios in a grey man, non nefarious way, does have tactical applications. And the ability to send photos and data is great, but none of it is encrypted, and the "server " functions that DMR offers is really stand out in the SHTF scenario.

For 35 dollars, I have never seen a better value for a radio. Even while owning EF Johnsons, Motorola, Yaesu, Anytine, wouxun, tyt, icom, kenwood baofeng and so on.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

I would love to see the Fusion system, especially C4FM, used more around here. It isn't. I can't even find an open C4FM repeater on Potosi!

varminter22

Well-known member (45 ACP)

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We should break off and do a tutorial thread on this Cotre radio.

Or multiples.

Starting with how to open it up, recommended antennas

Another about how to specifically to program for DMR repeaters in Vegas; another for Reno/Carson.

This could be of great service to our members.

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Two questions...out of the box will they tx on gmrs frequencies? And to clarify to use the dmr features you need ham license to get dmr id correct?

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
They will TX on gmrs freq without modification. To use DMR repeaters you do need a DMR ID associated with your ham callsign.

However, for simplex dmr operation you can arbitrarily assign a unique radio number to each radio and realize the full dmr functions of the radio such as txt, remote monitor, encryption etc etc

I may be posting more on this soon, because you are not the 1st person to ask.

Here is a good video describing how you might do this...
DMR programming for concerned citizens

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
They will TX on gmrs freq without modification. To use DMR repeaters you do need a DMR ID associated with your ham callsign.

However, for simplex dmr operation you can arbitrarily assign a unique radio number to each radio and realize the full dmr functions of the radio such as txt, remote monitor, encryption etc etc

I may be posting more on this soon, because you are not the 1st person to ask.

Here is a good video describing how you might do this...
DMR programming for concerned citizens
See the can of worms you opened?? 😀