• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best bang for buck prepper radio????

varminter22

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I've never been able to make any contacts on that repeater, unfortunately. C4FM or analog. I do hit other repeaters on that site marginally so maybe that's why. 🤷
As I understand, that Angel Peak fusion repeater does NOT cover all of Vegas. Maybe that is why?

And it seems that Fusion just doesn't (yet) have widespead popularity in Vegas?

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I am not in Vegas. But I hit some repeaters on AP.
Hmm, I see anger management classes in your future, boss, not good to go around hitting poor little repeaters, what did they ever do to you?
Garble a message or two, refused to transmit your traffic just because you got the CTCSS PL wrong?

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just an fyi radios are now mia on Amazon...

tremors834

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've never been able to make any contacts on that repeater, unfortunately. C4FM or analog. I do hit other repeaters on that site marginally so maybe that's why. 🤷
You may want to give it a try again, the repeater owner replaced the K5BLS Angel Peak Fusion capable repeater last month, same frequency (449.550-, C4FM, no PL). Receive seems a bit more sensitive now. I believe there's plans for a new antenna as well once the weather breaks.

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You may want to give it a try again, the repeater owner replaced the K5BLS Angel Peak Fusion capable repeater last month, same frequency (449.550-, C4FM, no PL). Receive seems a bit more sensitive now. I believe there's plans for a new antenna as well once the weather breaks.
Clear as a sunny day now! I think part of it was forcing my radio to stay in C4FM instead of AMS.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I was able to set my Cotre up with a hotspot today. Talked to a gentleman off Red Mountain with his DMR radio. Neat little radio to get into hotspots with.

If they had more I'd get another.

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
Nice! We are lucky to have so many DMR repeaters around. And yeah, they are unbeatable for 35 bux. I don't know how they are doing it. But I did reach out to the OEM manufacturer rep about a bulk buy. I met him at IWCE. The OEM radio is called "Mount Tai."

Also, the auctus chips that drive them are used by Hytera, Motorola and multiple others.

Picked up a couple of these from amazon, pretty new at this. Is anyone willing to share a starter code plug for the Vegas area SW. Thanks in advance.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Picked up a couple of these from amazon, pretty new at this. Is anyone willing to share a starter code plug for the Vegas area SW. Thanks in advance.
Lucky dog!
I've been trying for weeks to pick up a few more, but they are out of stock

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've been looking for at least a month using the listing I bought it from before. Shows "currently unavailable" every day. I check it like clockwork daily.
If you see them back in stock, please post here if you can. Thanks in advance!

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Haven't seen them in stock in 5 months. Maybe I'm missing it every time when they do become available.

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
Haven't seen them in stock in 5 months. Maybe I'm missing it every time when they do become available.
Yeah, I don't know where they went. You can still get that $16 one though. Not great for ham stuff, although usable, but good for basic encrypted SHTF comms.