• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Opinions on used police cars

Jnguyen

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I just think about the daily usage of a police vehicle, and I'm sure it's high mileage and maintenance.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I use to be a mechanic for a cab company and our whole fleet was Crown Vic Interceptors purchased from auction I personally wouldn’t touch them. They all have been rode hard.

To add: They became novelty items with the younger crowds thinking it was cool to have a former LE vehicle which made them get beat on even more.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I once owned a 1978 Dodge Polera ex-CHP car. I was a freaking blast to drive. Last year of the 440 hipo big block with a Carter Thermoquad four barrel carb.
It had a 140 MPH certified speedometer. Limited slip rear diff, giant swaybars front and rear, huge brakes, 3-row HD radiator, quick-ratio steering box. Giant HD alternator, "blue" neoprene radiator and heater hoses, dual exhaust and no cats!
It was built that way from the factory. Heavy duty police grade everything. It was built like a tank and drove like a sports car.

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
“It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.”

If it’s good enough for Jake and Elwood….atleast for one movie….

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If you can lay hands on a supervisor's vehicle, it might be an acceptable bet. NEVER buy a patrol vehicle. They spend many hours idling - the worst thing one can do to an engine - and are driven by cops whose philosophy is "drive it until it breaks, then call the motor pool for a replacement". I've seen them driven at speed over curbs, off-road and even down a flight of stairs. I've driven them in places where a car has no business... but it was what I had to do. Nope, wouldn't do it!

I forgot to add that it's scumbag chic to drive a former cop car... they love the novelty of sitting in the front seat, I guess.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
And you can get a grandma owned Grand Marquis for the same price, with the same miles if you're not in a rush to buy.
That can be just as bad if all granny did was go to the corner market 2 blocks over for the past 10 years.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We bought dozens of them years ago for teaching evasive/defensive driving techniques. I agree with trying to get a supervisors vehicle. It didn’t matter to us as the vehicles were getting banged up and then shot at and towed away. Patrol cars are beat to (poop) by LEO and some of them can’t drive worth (poop).

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I would, for the nostalgia. Just know what is is and expect it won’t be perfect.

I have a retired ambulance now. 96,000 miles, 4000 hrs on engine, 2200 hrs idling. It runs strong and everything on it is super heavy duty.

But I have also drove the (poop) out of both ambulances and police cars over the years.

Save up your money and get a nice clean Mercury Marauder.

Gunhand

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
During a 31 year LEO career, by the time a vehicle had reached its service life it was usually a steaming pile of fecal matter. We had assigned vehicles, so even the Agents that took great care of their vehicles, they were still driven over 100,000 miles before they were eligible to be replaced.

Because of my main assignments I had mostly 4X4 trucks and SUVs. They were driven into many back country locations, and that too takes a toll on them. So unless you want to have a project car and spend many hours repairing/rebuilding a former LEO vehicle, then I would advise you avoid them like the plague.

Mr. B

Curmudgeon In Training
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Re: Idling

Our (USAF) motor pool was giving us grief about our patrol trucks requiring so much maintenance for the miles on them. We tried explaining about the amount of time spent sitting in them, going nowehere, but with the enfine ruinning. I finally convinced him to put an hour meter on one of them, like they used on generators.

Suddenly, he understood why we needed more maintenance than the mileage would indicate, since the test vehicle had more hours than miles per month.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I remember vividly one night in the parking lot of Main Street Station, walking in for the Monday Night Football party. The security guard was driving by and you could hear this god-awful clacking coming from the engine. I was with a guy who knew engines, and he explained how this guy does nothing all day/night except drive around the parking lot at idle speed, probably never actually touching the gas pedal. This caused the exhaust valves to cake up, or something like that, and that's what we were hearing. Engines need to run hard every once in a while to clean themselves out.

I've done my best since then to do 90 mph as often as possible!

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Our maintenance guys say they are to be serviced to be in "as new" condition every time they leave the shop. Of course, I believe that's mechanically sound, not cosmetically.

We have 4 Crown Vics with still within the police department. 1 is still in service as a patrol vehicle. The other 3 are used by the police volunteer program. I wouldn't hesitate to use any on a long road trip- meaning I'm confident they wouldn't leave me stranded.

I think part of the equation should be what department the vehicle is coming from, and their maintenance policies.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Our maintenance guys say they are to be serviced to be in "as new" condition every time they leave the shop. Of course, I believe that's mechanically sound, not cosmetically.

We have 4 Crown Vics with still within the police department. 1 is still in service as a patrol vehicle. The other 3 are used by the police volunteer program. I wouldn't hesitate to use any on a long road trip- meaning I'm confident they wouldn't leave me stranded.

I think part of the equation should be what department the vehicle is coming from, and their maintenance policies.
To add, its also the mechanics. sometimes they do half-ass jobs. Other times they are under a lot of pressure from the higher-ups to get these fleet vehicles back on the road and end up having to cut corners. Dig deep enough, especially in those Crown Vics and you will find evidence of that all throughout the vehicle.