Post your offroad vehicle

swagger

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
OOOHHHH The Burn. Nissan steaming pile of :crap:
I've seen Nissans on the trail twice. Once was a group of Pathfinders on an easy to moderate trail, and they were doing fine. Safety in numbers, I guess.

The other time, it was a guy who was wheeling ALONE in a STOCK Pathfinder with his young son (under 10 years) coming up the Odessa trail, near Calico ghost town in California. He had a broken tie rod end after trying to force his way up an obstacle he had no business trying to overcome. Actually, he had no business on the trail to begin with.

If you know the trail, you know that you're basically traveling at the bottom of a narrow canyon, with vertical rock cliffs on either side of you. When he broke, he blocked the trail. Our club was stuck there for several hours trying to fix his truck for him, and eventually, a couple of the guys at the end of our pack had to turn around, go back up Odessa, down Doran and then back up Odessa from the exit, so they could get behind him and drag him back to a point that was wide enough for the rest of us to pass.

I saw the same problem (broken tie rod end) happen with another Pathfinder on an off road video I bought a while back. Don't remember the name, but the guy that puts it out has a whole series of these videos. But between those two things, I've been left with the impression that Nissan doesn't know how to build an vehicle that's truly meant to be taken off road.

I do like the Z cars, though. That's the one thing they've gotten right.

I agree with Nissan doesn't mix well with wheelin. However, they got street performance handlers pretty well with their sport cars. The Z's and the skyline are hard to beat. Id gladly take the motor out of either for use in a rail or Baja.

kboxvegas

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
Nothing with the Nissan badge can be labeled as the "best" anything. :driving:
I wouldn't go that far, the Silvia's and Z's pretty much dominate most drifting circuits. I would also pick the GT-R as the best supercar as it mostly out performs anything within 2-3x it's price range yet is still somewhat in reach of the average Joe at 80k. But obviously this is apple's to oranges as you guys are talking about off-road.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Tapatalk 2

nemotheangler

Active member (5.56mm)
ummm have any of you watched the link? or for another one look up nissan patrol climbs crazy dune. they are an amazing vehicle. that said, I will NEVER buy a nissan, only because the patrol isn't sold in the US.(I own a 4runner, looking for a landcruiser. FZJ80 if anyone has one...)

I agree those were some bad ass clips of the rig. However, what I saw was more of a display of skill behind the wheel. Not trying to take away from the rig at all, they appear to be pretty dam capable, but if you put an average driver in some of those situations, the video would've like been display of what it looks like to have the wheels pointing to the sky.

Pale Rider

Obsessed Member
I agree with Nissan doesn't mix well with wheelin. However, they got street performance handlers pretty well with their sport cars. The Z's and the skyline are hard to beat. Id gladly take the motor out of either for use in a rail or Baja.
Technically the R35 is not a Skyline even though it continues with the chassis designation predated by the former Skyline. No four-wheel steering or straight 6 which the R32-34 featured. The Infinity G is labeled as a Skyline overseas, which is a disgrace to the platform name. I would take a motor out of a MK IV Supra, even non-turbo over a 350z any day of the week.

I wouldn't go that far, the Silvia's and Z's pretty much dominate most drifting circuits. I would also pick the GT-R as the best supercar as it mostly out performs anything within 2-3x it's price range yet is still somewhat in reach of the average Joe at 80k. But obviously this is apple's to oranges as you guys are talking about off-road.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Tapatalk 2
You are talking used prices right? A '14 BASE is just under $100K before you even add destination, they were $80K in 2009.
You could substitute the the STI, especially the pre-Toyota owned versions with regards to this thread.

mdashoot

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
Are you sure about that?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

Are you sure about that?

Well played sir! Lemme remove this foot from my mouth.

Just looked back through the beginning of this thread. Earthquake, that's a helluva scout! I was wondering if there was someone around here with one! I'd trade my truck in for one in a heart beat!

'03 F150 Flareside FX4. Basically stock. Been keeping up on the mild trail with it as is so far!

mdashoot

Forum Supporter

Just looked back through the beginning of this thread. Earthquake, that's a helluva scout! I was wondering if there was someone around here with one! I'd trade my truck in for one in a heart beat!

'03 F150 Flareside FX4. Basically stock. Been keeping up on the mild trail with it as is so far!
It's all good. I have never had a problem getting through stuff I probably shouldnt have attempted in my Frontier. I do need a lift and I'm in the process of that, next is the offroad bumpers.

mdashoot

Forum Supporter

Even got some Video action for ya. This is an awesome vid they put together.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Well since there were a couple jeeps in that video I will let it slide. They obviously were there as the rescue vehicles for the Nissans. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk