• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My recommendation for your first $35 ham radio

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Over the years, many first time buyers of ham radios have gone with the Bao Feng UV5R. These can be found for as low as $21 today.
There is a new player, probably a re-branded Bao Feng, selling for not much more, only $35 (as of 2/16/23) (two pack is $60) and it is better than a UV5R in every way.

I'm talking about the Retevis RT85. AFAIK it is an upgraded clone of the UV5R. The case is a higher grade, less brittle plastic. The design is more attractive and the radio has a good feel. The modulation of the radio is better controlled. The audio is loud and clear.

A small but important feature is that the RT85 takes an SMA-Male antenna. The UV5R is probably the only radio in the world that takes an SMA-Female antenna. If you have a collection of radios, it is nice if they all use the same type antenna and SMA-Male is the standard.

The RT85 can be unlocked with a simple combination of key presses. This allows it to be programmed outside of the normal ham bands. It can be programmed for GMRS, FRS, MURS and NOAA. However, be aware that it is illegal to do so and this should only be done in an emergency. I believe the UV5R also has this capability.

The TYT TH-UV88 is the exact same radio with a different face plate.

Here is the first part of a 4-part extensive look into the RT85 on YouTube

It's not all rainbows and unicorns though for a $35 price tag, though most, if not all of the negatives are simple convenience features. For example, it has only one bank of 200 frequencies. It would be nice to have two banks of 100 frequencies each. I wrote to Retevis about this. There are times when scrolling would be nice but it's not available. This can be a big pain.

One last thing. Since this is a Chinese radio, it is possible that they have put in a Kill Switch which they could activate during any conflict with the U.S.
If that is the case, it could be that all Chinese radios would not work and many people would be without emergency comms. It may be worth paying $150 for a Yaesu FT60r, of Japanese manufacture, to hopefully circumvent this problem.

Last edited:

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A couple more things...

I use Chirp to program my RT85, rather than the Retevis software because Chirp offers direct importation of frequencies from RepeaterBook.
This makes things so much easier. However, the FM Radio function cannot be programmed with Chirp.

Very few hand held radios come with a good antenna out of the box. I recommend replacing the stock rubber duck with a quality 16" SMA-Male antenna such as the...

Nagoya NA-771 SMA-Male 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna for YAESU, Vertex, TYT, and Wouxun Radios $21, Amazon

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yaesu FT 4 XR at $89.99 regular, $69.99 on sale is also a good step up in quality and reliability over the Bao Feng UV5R , if the price of the FT60R ($154.99), or the FT65R ($99.99) or FT70DR ($174.99) is a hindrance.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yaesu FT 4 XR at $89.99 regular, $69.99 on sale is also a good step up in quality and reliability over the Bao Feng UV5R , if the price of the FT60R ($154.99), or the FT65R ($99.99) or FT70DR ($174.99) is a hindrance.
Once again I feel like the town idiot lol. I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about. When it comes to this (poop) though NYECounty has it down.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It's all in code, and you ATE your secret decoder ring again, didntcha! o_O:ROFLMAO:
I keep telling ya, there's a prize in every package of Cracker Jack, look for it before ya dump the whole dang box down yer pie hole!

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My buddy called my Bao Feng a Butt Fong one, and I haven’t been able to call it the correct name since lol.

I wonder if these clones fix the frequency bleed that the Butt Fong has. Saw an article years back that generally complimented the model, but did testing and observed like a 15% bleed into adjacent frequencies, had all kinds of tech jargon to show you’re not transmitting at the advertised power because of it.

I’m not technical enough to really care. I bought the bright red BF to find it if I drop it on a 4x4 group run, and like the hand held over mounted radios so I can hear the chatter when I’m out of rig spotting.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The early Bao Fengs are now banned by the FCC because of their inability to stay within the 25KHz margins of the ham bands, and because they would transmit on pretty much any frequency they received on, so you could transmit on the commercial bands above and below the 2-meter ham band, and the same on the commercial bands above and below the 70 CM ham band.
Those require different licenses, such as a GMRS license to use the 462 MHz band for GMRS simplex and GMRS repeaters.