• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Communication for SHTF...

Ogre

20.7984° N, 156.3319° W
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
What would y'all recommend for SHTF scenario as far as handhelds.

A few needs below.

1. Possibly four units but starting with two then adding a couple later.

2. Nothing that breaks the bank but with decent quality.

3. Could move onto a plate carrier eventually so versatility would be great.

4. Ease of use and possibility to communicate with other like minded individuals..
(1/2 Answered below)

Hopefully this won't take much time and a few recommendations would be appreciated..

Ogre.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I recommend not communicating with anybody in a SHTF situation because that is something I strive for in every day life, and SHTF sounds like a great excuse to make that work.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Ps in sorry Nobody is actually helping you. But you might have better luck in the actual radio communications section of this forum…….

echo1er

Active member (5.56mm)
FRS ,GMRS , or HAM...
Options to consider and how to communicate it to your circle. Cause you may get the radio but doesn't mean anything if you no one is on the other side of it.

My experience so far I carry FRS bubble radios (retail store) for administrative use on the range on outdoor adventures. Then for long ranges I deep in to GMRS radio that can talk FRS. GMRS is like getting a fishing License that's less then $40 that last for 10 years. Also you can. Share your call sign to family members including inlaws according to FCC rules.

It is like ammo you got to pick what's for you.
I have a mini cobra (FRS) that you see at best buy or Walmart $35 for 4. Then I got a garmin rino 755t gps and if you get two it does track each other and have messaging option with out service. I just got my GMRS license so I deep into BTech pro gmrs that is 4x cheaper then garmin. I also got boafeng gmrs 15 pro but you will need a chirp programing cable and software.

Garmin 755t I used in the Marine Corps that I can convert to 10 digit grid and do overlay mapping on areas of operations and creating waypoints.

Betech pro I used for 2023 at the local blm ranges and hunting (scouting, bird and big game). One battery didn't make it but customer service did replace express.
Also things to consider. Who is in your shtf group because private channels in frs and gmrs are not. If you go ham who else will have.
I have a parrot repeater that is in the valley. I can data collect data on my gear. To see how FARS my radio can go with oem to aftermarket 3db to 6db.
Not a Rubicon youtube channel has got me this far and local community like the 625 and 700 net for gmrs has been guiding me.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
GMRS radios.. ...Radioddity GMR30, $39, on sale, $33, easy to program, very rugged, great radio, add a super rubber ducky antenna for flexibility, and it does GMRS repeaters and GMRS simplex, and FRS. Available directly from Radioddity or on Amazon.
50 watt GMRS mobile, Midland MXT500, comes with mag mount antenna, everything you need, simple to use and program. Runs about $400.
Radioddity has some great mobile GMRS that run from 10, 20, 25 and 40 watts, and from $100 to $300. Also easy to program.

Step up, get a ham license, greater range, greater power, far more frequencies.

Tech class license is easy to get, $35 for 10 years, same as GMRS, but requires an exam, GMRS does not require an exam, and as noted above, entire family can use radios with just one license, ham, each person has to be licensed.
But, that's a great family project, study together and everyone gets their own license.

I can provide free study materials for all three classes of ham license, free online practice exams, and locations to take FREE ham exams in Vegas and Pahrump, most places / Exam teams charge $15 per exam, but the Laurel VE (Volunteer Examiner) teams in Vegas and Pahrump are FREE of charge to take the exams.

echo1er

Active member (5.56mm)
Radios do get addicting.
I was also going to get t800. I saw at sportsman. It's a frs radio bluetooth and can connect to your phone for GPS location. It is a frs so no lic required.

Also for comms. I got into meshtastic. You create your own mesh network and not relay on service provided. A burner phone these are Incognito device that you can place around the neighborhood or dead zones.

Ogre

20.7984° N, 156.3319° W
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Thx for the info, there's a lot in those responses....

Hacker

Active member (5.56mm)
BTW, if you want some interesting basic-level individual and unit comms reading, you can find "The Guerilla's Guide To the Baofeng Radio" as a free PDF online in numerous places.

It has nothing to do with learning how to use a Baofeng Radio, but discusses basic radio comms network and use if you have no background in it.

Ogre

20.7984° N, 156.3319° W
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Fortunately when SHTF, you won't have all the Ham guys Karening your unlicensed Baofeng use because there won't be an FCC for them to threaten to report you to.
Lol...

Ogre

20.7984° N, 156.3319° W
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
BTW, if you want some interesting basic-level individual and unit comms reading, you can find "The Guerilla's Guide To the Baofeng Radio" as a free PDF online in numerous places.

It has nothing to do with learning how to use a Baofeng Radio, but discusses basic radio comms network and use if you have no background in it.
Much appreciated!

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Who knows what the true jamming capacity really is of our "government" - might be down to smoke signals, pigeons and runners ...........

Hacker

Active member (5.56mm)
Who knows what the true jamming capacity really is of our "government" - might be down to smoke signals, pigeons and runners ...........
Isn't the scenario we're talking about the breakdown of social and civil society? The government won't be doing a whole lot of anything in the paralysis of widespread disorder.

Either way, all jamming has a limitation: it is either a lot of range and power on a narrow band of frequencies, or a low power over a wide band of frequencies.

What people should be a lot more concerned about is the ability to geo-locate the user of a push-to-talk comm radio, even one using encrypted secure comm.

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
GMRS radios.. ...Radioddity GMR30, $39, on sale, $33, easy to program, very rugged, great radio, add a super rubber ducky antenna for flexibility, and it does GMRS repeaters and GMRS simplex, and FRS. Available directly from Radioddity or on Amazon.
FYI anyone interested GM30 deal lowered price last night $55 two pack on Amazon, $52 Walmart online....