• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APRS?

RoundEye

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Is APRS not a thing in the Southwest Valley?

I set my radio to 144.390, turn on APRS, and there’s like very little to no traffic. If I try and send a beacon, I never get an Ack or anything. I’ve checked APRS.fi and there’s a few people out there, but not many. I also don’t think many of them are out West like me.

If I use the same configuration in Los Angeles there is so much traffic it annoying and if I send a beacon, I’ll usually get an ack back within a few minutes, and then I can see my position on APRS.fi. Are there like no repeaters or something?

tremors834

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Can you elaborate on what the "Southwest Valley" is?
APRS is very active in Las Vegas. You can check all the activity on www.aprs.fi

tremors834

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Generally, if you send a position beacon you do not receive an Ack.

I sometimes send APRS text messages back and forth with other operators, so we're out there.

Perhaps what I consider active is nothing compared to the L.A. for APRS traffic.

The Henderson Amateur Radio Club maintains a APRS iGate/Digipeater (W7HEN-3) near Farhills and 215.

Also, there is an APRS Net every Thursday UTC. If you have APRS messaging capabilities fell free to check in. Info can be found here-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/989199962458033/

RoundEye

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Generally, if you send a position beacon you do not receive an Ack.

I sometimes send APRS text messages back and forth with other operators, so we're out there.

Perhaps what I consider active is nothing compared to the L.A. for APRS traffic.

The Henderson Amateur Radio Club maintains a APRS iGate/Digipeater (W7HEN-3) near Farhills and 215.

Also, there is an APRS Net every Thursday UTC. If you have APRS messaging capabilities fell free to check in. Info can be found here-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/989199962458033/
Interesting. I could swear that you get an Ack once it gets picked up by another radio for relay. Maybe that’s only with the SMS Gateway. Anyway, I also did try sending text messages via the gateway, and that didn’t seem to work either. Mind you if I drive down LA with the radio on its current config it starts blowing up with traffic as soon as I get in the outer area.