• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Super Capacitor Jump Starter

GlenBaker

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Here is what happen to my first schumacher red fuel jump starter just sitting in my car. Not Good.
Last time I tried using it was to help out a elderly motorcyclist at walmart. I had not charged it in maybe 6 months was down to 50% and wouldn't turn the motor over. Battery based chargers are only good if they are kept charged. Where as capacitor based (as many as 8-12 capacitors in one unit) may give someone a chance and Super Cap jump starters can be charged off someones good battery with out ether having jumper cables.
Replaced under warranty. redfuel split case 2.JPG RedFuel split Case 4.JPG

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Here is what happen to my first schumacher red fuel jump starter just sitting in my car. Not Good.
Last time I tried using it was to help out a elderly motorcyclist at walmart. I had not charged it in maybe 6 months was down to 50% and wouldn't turn the motor over. Battery based chargers are only good if they are kept charged. Where as capacitor based (as many as 8-12 capacitors in one unit) may give someone a chance and Super Cap jump starters can be charged off someones good battery with out ether having jumper cables.
Replaced under warranty. View attachment 76231 View attachment 76232
True, the super cap jump starters could be charged off someone's good battery, but if that battery is close enough by to do that with, just jump starting the car with it would be more practical I would think, assuming of course that jumper cables are available.

But I really doubt that you can charge a super cap system to a point it will start a car , using the dead battery in the car as the charger for the super cap system.

The battery jump starter system, if kept charged ( I recharge all 4 of mine once a month to be on the safe side, and I carry regular jumper cables in each car/truck as well) will let you try cranking an engine a lot longer than a super cap can on a single charge, if the engine doesn't start at first with the super cap, say, because it's flooded, you will have to recharge it again.

Now if the super cap was previously charged and doesn't slowly bleed down, it would be always ready to jump start a vehicle, and it would last through thousands of charge cycles unlike the battery style ones. Although a good lithium ion battery can usually handle 500 to 1K discharge charge cycles if it isn't drawn down too deep.

SixshooterSam

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Yikes! I'm guessing it got too hot sitting in the car. Lithium batteries can't take intense heat like that.

Yes, battery based jumpers do have to be charged to work. But the laws of physics and electricity are what they are, they can't be beaten. I would think the only way a capacitor based jumper would have any hope of working at all would be on a battery that is only just barely depleted below its ability to start the engine. Even then, I seriously doubt it.

Sounds to me like a gimmick product, to be honest.