• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Long range pistol scope advice

Any advice on a long range pistol scope? To give you idea of what I am looking for. On my Tompson Contender chambered in 300 blackout today I was shooting at 2080 yards. I currently have a 2x7 BSA on it. At this distance I am finding as I get setup with the proper eye relief as I move my eye around the cross hairs move a couple MOA on the target. I have seen this once before on a rifle scope to say the least that scope is long gone. Louplod has a 2.5x8 I am leaning in that direction. Any advice?
NDR

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you’re going to be shooting that 300 blackout at 2080 yards, you may need more magnification and a LOT of adjustability. What distance did you zero it in?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
The parallax error is going to be unavoidable at those distances without a scope that adjusts for it, which may not even be possible in a pistol scope with extended eye relief. It's even a problem with "scout" rifles using intermediate eye relief at moderate distances of 400-600 yards.

If your target is about 6' in diameter, you should be able to see it with just iron sights! No parallax! But you probably don't have a ladder or tangent with that much elevation!

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I've got a bunch of tracers I made in 300 Blackout with 145-gr pulled military bullets. It would be fun to watch the trajectory.

Probably burns out halfway. Don't know what the change in bullet weight during flight does.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I've got a bunch of tracers I made in 300 Blackout with 145-gr pulled military bullets. It would be fun to watch the trajectory.

Probably burns out halfway. Don't know what the change in bullet weight during flight does.
That would be very cool to see, at dusk / gloaming time.

If you’re going to be shooting that 300 blackout at 2080 yards, you may need more magnification and a LOT of adjustability. What distance did you zero it in?
I have a heritage arms cold shot on it no need for scope elevation adjustment. It is zeroed at 100yds. Seven power is enough to see the 12 inch wide by 18 inch tall target
NDR

The parallax error is going to be unavoidable at those distances without a scope that adjusts for it, which may not even be possible in a pistol scope with extended eye relief. It's even a problem with "scout" rifles using intermediate eye relief at moderate distances of 400-600 yards.

If your target is about 6' in diameter, you should be able to see it with just iron sights! No parallax! But you probably don't have a ladder or tangent with that much elevation!
Interesting reply. A scout scope should increase the choices of scopes to choose from. I have never checked out scout scopes time to learn about them. My heritage arms cold shot has 300 MOA of adjustment. Only needed 244 MOA to be successful thats just over 4 degrees of elevation. Also you don't need a 6 foot target to use iron sights just a six foot bare spot to park your target in. One of my goals is one mile with my 45-120 Sharps. I can't make out the target at 1 mile looking through the peep sight but I can make out where the center of the area where the target is located.
NDR

Curious , why a 300 b.o. at that distance?
Let me count the reasons. I dont suffer from the cancer that is political correctness which means I can ask why not a 300 b.o. at that distance? Why do people climb Everest? It is cheaper to shoot per round than a 50 cal. Anybody can get hits at that distence with a 50 cal. These days I can only buy powder at 1 or 2 pounds at a time when I can find it. CFE BLK is one of 2 powders I see for sale regularly so I have lots of it. Last look at the handle you choose under your avatar the 300 b.o. can be chamber in any wheelgun that can be chambered in 460 SW Mag. Think about that a 2000yd Wheelgun?
NDR
P.S.
With my 460XVR I have had real good success out to 1200 yards so far next stop with it 1400yds.