• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Info For Newbie Machinists and Gunsmiths

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
For those who have recently acquired a lathe or vertical milling machine (or both) or those that have been playing with them for awhile but are interested in other ways of doing things on these machines, check out the Instructional Videos at this web site.

http://tomstechniques.com/

The website is called "Tom's Techniques , Common Sense Machining.

Tom Griffin is the author, and he is not only a fine machinist but a decent instructor as well. Take a look at the video of the Steven's Favorite Single Shot .22 he is building for himself. Nice machine work all the way around.

The videos are pretty well done for a one man operation, and he speaks loud and clear in them all.

I sat down yesterday and watched them all, after being made aware of his site by a friend on a machinist forum I belong to.

They are all worth watching and for some of the folks here on the forum who have recently acquired a new "toy" or two, but have no real prior experience with lathe's and mills, these videos will answer a lot of the basic questions.

I particularly recommend viewing the safety videos first, you wouldn't believe some of the injuries I have witnessed occur on lathes and mills over the years, every last one of them preventable.

Bart Carter

Negotiator
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link. Over the years I have studied many different sources to become better at milling. I build custom car parts mostly. This is a good addition.

ScottC

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
As far as injuries I know a guy who lost part of his thumb on Lathe working on a barrel if I remember correctly. He kept it and put it up on the wall behind the Lathe to remind him to take it seriously and not rush.

Relevant to my interests, thanks! I grew up in a family own fab shop, but went to college for geology and never picked up machining. With surplus equipment being so cheap these days, I've considered picking some up. I have a wish list in with the family of stuff to try and snag for me.

Thanks for the info.