• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

You have to love FedEx - Missing trailer hitch

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
So I ordered a new hitch for the SUV I just picked up on Monday. It was supposed to arrived Tuesday (shipper sent priority overnight. Hey, it was free shipping for me so I wasn't complaining).

I work from home most days currently and my office looks right out on my front porch. Nice big 'ring the bell please FedEx' sign on my front door and a doorbell that could wake the dead. All day nothing. Checking tracking all day, nothing. Finally, around 445PM tracking is updated with "Delivery exception: Package refused 9:31AM".

Pardon me? To refuse delivery you'd actually need to try to deliver it and I was right there all day. Rrrrr. Now, I have to go into the office the next day, so I setup a delivery drop request to ship it to my FedEx drop at Walgreens (where I've had several FedEx packages dropped). Next day, nothing again all day. Finally, at around 645PM the tracking is updated "Delivery exception: Business closed - Holiday"

WTF? Its a Walgreens. They are open from like 7A-10PM weekdays. I know my counter guy there so I call and he's like "nope, we've been open all day". Double, rrrrrrr.

The FedEx customer service number is worthless and they won't tell me where my package is. So it sits with no updates for 2 days.

I go to a local FedEx shipping place and the manager there is kind enough to contact FedEx CS directly and the lady tells him they have tried to deliver the item 3 times (yeah, no) and it is now waiting (waiting? Waiting for what? Tracking says nothing!). He is able to get the warehouse location that is at (thankfully) so I drive my happy arse over there and speak to the counter person there. Her co-counter person says "oh, yeah, that is that giant empty box". (What!?!) Sure enough the person drags out the empty box with the end flaps torn open. She says its been sitting in the 'RTS Floor" since Tuesday and there is already a claim filed.

I start laughing. Get the claim number. She seems confused at to why it shows 'failed delivery attempts' (yeah, so am I, given I was just told it was sitting there since Tuesday when it arrived). Heading home, I stopped back at the other FedEx place to once again thank the person (Scott, manager at the FedEx shop at 215 and Stephanie) that actually helped me since everyone else had been worthless up to that point. Called the vendor, gave them the story and the claim number and hopefully a new hitch will be shipping in the next few days.

I should be angry at this point, but I'm really just chuckling and a bit irritated that they went out of their way to cover up the problem. If the box was empty, why not just put up a delivery exception on the tracking for a damaged package? The whole 'attempted delivery' stuff was just stupid. Come on... ;)

Eric S.

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I used to be a working trumpet player in Vegas and once ordered a $3,000 horn with "Signature Required" from FedEx. I walked up the block to get the mail and came back to find the box left on the doorstep.

Sorry to hear about what you’ve had to go through. Fed Ex is absolutely horrible. I once ordered a rare guitar (that cost $1,500) only to have it arrive demolished to all hell. The headstock was snapped, the neck had a huge crack down the center to the body, and there were other issues. Apparently, someone at Fed Ex dropped the package so hard that the guitar broke through the guitar case and damaged it like that. I will avoid buying from anyone who uses Fed Ex, I’ve had nothing but issues with them on countless occasions. They also seem to ignore the “signature required” instructions for every delivery.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I used to be a working trumpet player in Vegas and once ordered a $3,000 horn with "Signature Required" from FedEx. I walked up the block to get the mail and came back to find the box left on the doorstep.
Fed EX did the same with my sons Yamaha Xeno Trumpet years ago. I wanted to kick that delivery person ! Left it right on the door step , in plane view of the street. Was supposed to be signed for too.

Right now I am waiting on a package that left Indiana on the 1st, it was originally showing delivery of 6th , here we are on the 10th, and it now shows delivery on the 11th. Even though each day their " tracking " showed delivered by that day by 9pm , each morning it changed to the next day.

I guess it is pulling a Rolling Stones US Tour.... so far it has been to:
Indianapolis Indiana - Olathe KS - Edgerton KS - Wellsvile KS - Summerfield TX - Navajo Nation AZ , Flagstaff AZ , Glendale - AZ - Phoenix AZ.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Was that a "Fedex Express" or "Fedex Ground" package?

They're different organizations and packages are handled differently

It was shipped priority overnight by the vendor so I was guessing express? Got the shipping notice on Monday, arrived in town on Tuesday very early AM.

bcrich

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
dam that sucks !!! 3 yrs ago FedEx delivered my SSA-E trigger to American tire across the street from the apartment I used to live at & the tracking said it was delivered & signed by some name I had no idea who it was so I called fedex & told them you didn’t deliver it to my residence & she was a biatch big time telling me no sir it’s been delivered ….opened up a claim & at that point I was pissed as hell $180 down the drain then 10 min later I get a call from American tire telling me I don’t know what this is but it has your number so I’m calling to tell you I have your SSA-E so I walked my happy arse across the street ti get my trigger from the tire shop ? F fedex !!

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
(lov)ing delivery people are pissing me off lately. Had USPS deliver a box yesterday and no nice gesture door knock. I saw him coming to the door. I open it after he leaves it and said thanks for the door knock.

Not my job he says. I said packages get stolen more at Christmas time than any other time. I don’t care he says. I said pick another career you worthless (lov).

WTF is wrong with people today? I wasn’t asking for your first born you POS. Lazy ass mofo’s in this world today.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
... I will avoid buying from anyone who uses Fed Ex, I’ve had nothing but issues with them on countless occasions. They also seem to ignore the “signature required” instructions for every delivery.
I have stories like this with EVERY carrier, so it doesn't matter, unless you already have a great driver for one of them on your route. If it DOES matter, you drive to a store and buy it and bring it home. Everything else is a lottery. I'll still play it most of the time, but one should just ASSume it will be f-ed up so you can be pleasantly surprised when it isn't.

Last edited:

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
(fack)ing delivery people are pissing me off lately. Had USPS deliver a box yesterday and no nice gesture door knock. I saw him coming to the door. I open it after he leaves it and said thanks for the door knock.

Not my job he says. I said packages get stolen more at Christmas time than any other time. I don’t care he says. I said pick another career you worthless (fack).

WTF is wrong with people today? I wasn’t asking for your first born you POS. Lazy ass mofo’s in this world today.
Yeah past month UPS, FedEx, GLS, Ontrac, Amazon every time, all have dropped off items with no knock, many sig required.

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
Wow... All these crazy stories.... Where I live there is NO delivery at all... No USPS, not UPS and no Fed-anything.. If I order online I have to drive into town to pick it up at a local mail delivery shop... Otherwise I just drive 70 miles into a bigger city and buy it..

Most of the time though... I just enjoy my peace and quiet here well, except when I am shooting long range in the back yard then it might get noisy.

I have stories like this with EVERY carrier, so it doesn't matter. If it DOES matter, you drive to a store and buy it and bring it home. Everything else is a lottery. I'll still play it most of the time, but just ASSume it will be f-ed up so you can be pleasantly surprised when it isn't.
Personally, I’ve only experienced so many constant issues with Fed Ex. Other carriers haven’t given me hassles that Fed Ex has, not even close. To assume that every shipping carrier is that unprofessional and every physical store will have what you need is ASSuming poorly.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Personally, I’ve only experienced so many constant issues with Fed Ex.
I hate it when I see my stuff has been shipped via FedEx. It is very far and between that I have any issues with my UPS deliveries. With FedEx the delivery date is almost never the date it actually makes it, at least 1/10 deliveries they drop it on either my neighbor or my cross the cul-de-sac neighbor's house. And the best: two of the streets in my development have 'similar' names. The guy at 'my' address on that other street and I usually end up trading packages at least once a week from FedEx and USPS. Never UPS.

I had so many issues with fedexsux years ago people look at me funny now whenever I mention them because without thinking fedexsux comes off my tongue. Done even get me started with the post office.
NDR.

Px4Shooter

Well-known member (45 ACP)
FedEx is known for now saying they attempted delivery without attempting it. They do this so the drivers aren't penalized and they don't pay OT for it. It also covers the "guaranteed" delivery date.

As for UPS, they played a similar game after Thanksgiving this year. Said the business was closed for the holiday, except they weren't. After the 2nd day of this, I called the main number. The local office called me back in 15 minutes. They had me on the phone, called the driver and asked how far away and if I wanted the package right then. I said yes and they explained the holiday issue with businesses. I told him our driver is in there every day and knows how to open a door and where to drop packages. The guy has been spot on. I asked if it was our normal guy or a fill in. It was a filler. There was NO way he even went into the business lot to see if we were open.

totenschadel

"Don't let your inspector be your teacher"
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
FedEx left my friends Signature Required RMA'd Ruger 10/22 on his porch the other day. WTF?

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
FedEx left my friends Signature Required RMA'd Ruger 10/22 on his porch the other day. WTF?
Yep. UPS does it all the time with C&R guns, all marked signature required. Two of my MidwayUSA orders this year were 10 days lost. UPS Tracking just kept showing the long-past expected delivery date.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yeah (lov)ing holiday season sucks for deliveries. I remember when I was 14 I caught our mailman at the end of a dead end street opening Christmas cards. Remember back then when a lot of relatives would send cash in the cards. (lov)er was opening other peoples cards and stealing the cash.

My older brothers saw him at a local tavern after that. Told him keep that (poop) up and you won’t be delivering mail for a while.

I am expecting a package from Suck Ex Tuesday. Keep my fingers crossed until then I guess.

totenschadel

"Don't let your inspector be your teacher"
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Yep. UPS does it all the time with C&R guns, all marked signature required. Two of my MidwayUSA orders this year were 10 days lost. UPS Tracking just kept showing the long-past expected delivery date.
That said, my RMR bullet order was lost through USPS for three weeks in November, Jake at RMR was kind enough to claim insurance and re-ship This isn't isolated to one carrier then.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Midway shipping sucks when they do the UPS/USPS. Had one that was lost for a week in Las Vegas this past year. Sent Midway an email complaining about it and they responded back with "You could have upgraded shipping". The amount I order from them has gone way down.