• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Winchester model 1903 win22Auto

Hi,

So this last week I inherited My father's Winchester model 1903 witch was his fathers and his fathers before.. the gun has been around the block a few times but I think it wears its "age" good. My issue is the barrel it is not the original barrel from I have been able to find out it is a barrel from a Winchester model 1906 pump it says model 06- & says it takes 22lr, long & short it has a divit for were the feed tube of the 06 would be. My Father says it shoots the win22Auto like it Originally would have. I haven't tryed to fire the rifle yet But have ran 22lr snapcaps and it jammed up so bad i had to use the handy dandy takedown feature, took so tapping with a mallet to get the parts apart as I don't think it's been apart in the last 55 yrs as I never saw grandpa shoot it or dad for that matter. I ordered a box of win22Auto just in case..... I just want to know if the rifle fires I have no problem with it being a wall hanger I already have idea's for that... So after my long-winded story has anyone heard of the 06- conversion and was it successful, would the barrel have been chambered for the win22Auto as my father has said, a person on youtube also says to be very careful it might slamfire.. the serial lookup says it ws born in 1912 making it the oldest rifle in the collection be nice to get that 108 yr old lady back on the dance floor...

anyways thanks for taking time to read my dilemma

Bruce

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
It's possible that whoever replaced the barrel might have rechambered it to the other cartridge. I've never seen a 22 Auto to know how close they are, but just read that they don't get along.

Im not really inerested in removing the patina, that's all stuff my father and grandfather's added to the rifle. Id like to add some too besides just dust for my offspring : MAC702 that could be entirely possible. I didn't get to spend to much time with greatgrandpa before he passed and, grandpa never said anything about the gun. I saw it in the closet all the time but that was all didn't mess with the guns we knew the rules and grandpa passed in 1980 probaly last time I saw the gun till a week ago..

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Nice old gun, with a great history.
The only gun ever chambered for the .22 Winchester Auto was the Winchester Model 1903 Semi Automatic Rifle, like yours was originally.

Unless a very competent gunsmith worked on it, it is NOT going to fire .22 shorts, longs or Long Rifles, at least not reliably.
The problem comes from several areas, all related to the dimensional differences between the .22 Winchester Auto cartridge and the standard .22 LR round.

The .22 Win Auto had a larger rim diameter, .310", versus the more common .22 with one of .278", so to get the .22 round to center up reliably on the breech face for ignition, you have to hard face the bolt face and then recut the breech face to the correct diameter for the .22 S/L/LR.

Next, since the case length of the .22 Win Auto was .665" versus the .22's .613", and the .22 Win Auto's case diameter was .250" versus the .22 at .226", and the .22 Win Auto's overall length was .915" versus the .22's longer 1.000" , you can see where there is going to be a good bit of slop in the carrier / lifter going from the .22 Win Auto to the .22 LR, width wise, necessitating a reworking of the carrier/lifter.

Also a bit more work has to be done on the bolt to get the needed travel distance to handle the longer .22 LR, and of course you have to fiddle with the springs to get the timing correct for all phases of the feed, fire, extract, eject, feed cycle.

I've only done two of these conversions in the last 60 years, and after the second one I swore I would never do another, talk about fiddly, frustrating, losing money work.

Someone may have come up with parts that will let the conversion be done more simply, but I doubt it. There just never seemed to be much demand to make these fine little rifles shoot the .22 LR.

Same scenario for the .22 Remington Auto.

The reason both Winchester and Remington went with dimensionally different rounds for their Semi Auto .22's back then was simple. There were still .22 LR black powder powered cartridges being made and sold, and they didn't want anyone using them in their .22 semi auto rifles , as with black powder rounds only a very few shots fired would gum up the works and bring shooting to a halt until the mechanism was thoroughly cleaned.

Thank You Steve,

Im hoping that 06- barrel was rechambered to fire the .22 Win Auto. I don't know what my Great Grandfather did he may have been a machinest or gunsmith? but being that my father told me it shot the "weird 22" I will take that as it might have been rechambered and can egnore the "22lr long & short" on the 06- barrel

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
There is that possibility, get some Cerrosafe® and make a chamber cast, easy to do, then with the cast and a micrometer, you will know for sure.
Or have a gunsmith do it for you, charge should be $30 or less, it's only a 15-30 minute job.

Steve,
The Cerrosafe® i don't have the facilities to do that probably blow the house up! LOL but i'll youtube it just to see what it intels I also got my grandfather's Arisaka type99 war bring back but, its been "sporterized" i don't know if that it was rechambered to a modern caliber. I'll take them by the LGS here in Mesquite they are only open 3 days a week "Covid" and only allow one person in at a time the rest have to stand out in the sun LOL You know like the Nevada DMV ;) or might try try to take it down to wildwestguns

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Has anybody ever been able to stump NYECO? At first glance, that doesn't look much different than my Winchester Model 63..... But I'm sure it is.....

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Some similarities to the model 63, some changes in internals that made the 63 more reliable and easier to work on.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Has anybody ever been able to stump NYECO? At first glance, that doesn't look much different than my Winchester Model 63..... But I'm sure it is.....
He helped the Chinese develop gun powder and was probably the test dummy for every new gun from the 1200's until he retired.

Colt had a commemorative plaque with his picture that read,. "Hey NyeCo, come shoot this new gun" motto in the 1800's

For us youngsters, please define "old" (when I was 16, I thought 28 was old). Now I've come to realize "old" is sort of a moving target. Though at 75 I suppose I'm getting a little closer to the target. Then some might say 75 is near "too dang old" - sometimes it is.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Well, my wise @$$ apprentice says I am 4,675,437,482 years old, he's off by a full billion, but hey, if he thinks I look a billion years younger than I am, far be it from me to correct the pup.