• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Wife's Stolen Gun was recovered! How to get it to Las Vegas

akaTrex

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Years ago, our home was burglarized, and my wife's gun was stolen.

We received a postcard from Sacramento County that an item has been recovered and to contact them.
She contacted them, and It turned out to be her handgun.

Besides flying back to Sacramento to retrieve the gun, how can we get the firearm back to us in Las Vegas?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Ka Lbo

Curmudgeon
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Personally, I'd drive to Sacramento. Wouldn't putz around with airlines, TSA or any related lunacy.

Hopefully Sac PD can clearly articulate what your wife needs to show, beyond an ID, to retrieve the gun with ease. Perhaps a CA DoJ approved lock box for transport. That may seem over the top, but we all know CA is asshoe when it comes to guns.

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
You will probably have to get a DOJ Law Enforcement Release Letter (LERL) from CA DOJ. May require a LiveScan. Application is online at CA DOJ firearms forms. Process time is about 9 months. See if Sac PD will ship to an FFL here.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Having your stolen firearm found in California is a good case for buying a hipoint.

It is a common thing to get it back, provided they will actually release it without a fight. Some agencies are horrible!!

Now, there are a few options depending upon which course they prefer. The most common is to a FFL, since the gun was stolen from that jurisdiction and they are the ones that now possess it (if that is the case). If the recovery agency differs from the agency it was reported with, the gun must be sent back to the agency that actually took the report.

Being that CA is weird on a few things and CA has crazy gun laws, they may also want it shipped to your local PD. This is not common, but it does occur. It is definitely not the preferred method. With all the stupidity in CA, the easiest would be for them to ship it to a FFL of your choice.