Want some feedback/advice on Polytech/Norinco M-14s

My local gun store has a Norinco M1A or M-14s in stock, when I went in all I saw was the weapon in the rack behind the counter and the price tag $899.00 thinking it was a Springfield I asked to see it...much to my surprise it was a Chinese make. I heard about these years ago, but had never seen one.. Rifle looked OK, fit and finish were acceptable and better than I expected, the Flash Hider had the slots cut out, the ones I saw years ago were solid but looked fluted... if it had been a Springfield I would have left the store with it at that price, but when I got home I decided to do some research. I read all about the headspace issues some have had, the soft bolts and the op rod ( or springs ) as well as very good things such as a forged receiver, HOWEVER, I would love to hear from anyone here who owns or has owned one, who has actually SHOT one... please no opinions if you have not actually owned/shot one I have read all the opinions you probably have in online forums as well I am looking for Practical experience and opinions please, Looking to buy this for my son as a gift...

Thanks in advance

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I carried them briefly in my shop, for less than a half a year, and stopped carrying them because of off center bores, soft barrels, soft bolts, op rods that bent easily head space issues, sights that flew off after a few dozen rounds, FTF, FTE and lousy accuracy.

I sold between 25 and 30 of them in a 4 month period, all of them came back and I refunded their money and got my costs back from the distributor.

Don't know about the quality NOW, but back in the late 90's they were junk.

One of the gun magazines did a destruction test on a Norinco M14 copy, a PolyTech copy (also Chinese) a Springfield Armory M1A, and an original TRW M14 , goal was to fire 10,000 rounds through each as fast as possible , no cleaning , stopping to test accuracy at the beginning and every 1,000 rounds after that.

The Norinco made it to less than 600 rounds before it came apart literally, the PolyTech lasted to almost 800 rounds before it self destructed, the Springfield and the TRW went the full 10,000 rounds and the Springfield's accuracy as I recall actually tightened up by a few tenths of a inch at the 10,000 round accuracy testing point.

They fired them so fast that the hand guards caught fire on all of them, and every 500 rounds they were having to dunk the entire gun into a barrel of cold water, shake it out and resume firing. The barrels got to something over 600 degrees between dunkings as I recall, they measured barrel, receiver and bolt temps with a non contact thermometer.

I carried them briefly in my shop, for less than a half a year, and stopped carrying them because of off center bores, soft barrels, soft bolts, op rods that bent easily head space issues, sights that flew off after a few dozen rounds, FTF, FTE and lousy accuracy.

I sold between 25 and 30 of them in a 4 month period, all of them came back and I refunded their money and got my costs back from the distributor.

One of the gun magazines did a destruction test on a Norinco M14 copy, a PolyTech copy (also Chinese) a Springfield Armory M1A, and an original TRW M14 , goal was to fire 10,000 rounds through each as fast as possible , no cleaning , stopping to test accuracy at the beginning and every 1,000 rounds after that.

The Norinco made it to less than 600 rounds before it came apart literally, the PolyTech lasted to almost 800 rounds before it self destructed, the Springfield and the TRW went the full 10,000 rounds and the Springfield's accuracy as I recall actually tightened up by a few tenths of a inch at the 10,000 round accuracy testing point.

They fired them so fast that the hand guards caught fire on all of them, and every 500 rounds they were having to dunk the entire gun into a barrel of cold water, shake it out and resume firing. The barrels got to something over 600 degrees between dunkings as I recall, they measured barrel, receiver and bolt temps with a non contact thermometer.

WOW thanks Steve, with that in mind I will pass on the Norinco and look for a Springfield, besides I spotted an M1 Garand at another shop just this morning... so looks like I will go that direction,, Thanks again

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I heard about the bolts being soft as well, over on the m14 forum.

Go with an american built unit, but most purists will tell you to go for the big dollar builds and USGI parts. I just have a springfield standard. It sits in my safe, I hardly ever shoot it anymore. I dunno why. ITs nice at the range, but probably one of the last guns I would grab in an emergency or SHTF situation.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Biggest issue with the non-USGI parts on Springfield Armory Inc, from lots of research and from personal experience of a failure, is the extractor. If it's a critically-needed rifle, make sure it has a USGI extractor. If it's a range rifle only, and you can live without it for a few days, the SAI commercial part on its rifles might break, but it still has their lifetime warranty, and all you need to send them is the bolt.

I'm gonna call BS on this because there were none coming in after 94... So I don't know how the hell you were carrying them, there was no more supply. I think you have the poly/norinco (all factory 386) mixed up with the armscorp rifles from this era... M14 parts kits were drying up and armscorp was having major quality control issues with their parts. Have you been living under a rock? You're talking about these in present tense, there haven't been any coming into the country almost 25 years.

The factory 386 M14s have awesome receivers and barrels. Forged 5100 is stronger than what the military guns were made with. The bolts had heat treating issues, some were good... Some not so much but a more or less simple fix.

A quarter century is still a quarter century... Some people know chinese firearms, some people know Fudd guns... IS what it is.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Well BrettBoat, considering I SOLD the shop in 2004 after having worked in it since 1955, and owned it since 1969, I may have made it sound like it was present tense, and yes, they did stop importing them some time in the 90's, I don't remember exactly when, so maybe I was off with the comment about the "late 90's.

The Poly M14's were junk and stayed that way to the best of my knowledge. The Norinco's , early on , were also of sub standard quality, I can't attest to their current quality, the Chinese have made great improvements so they may be
OK now.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I'm gonna call BS on this because there were none coming in after 94... So I don't know how the hell you were carrying them, there was no more supply. I think you have the poly/norinco (all factory 386) mixed up with the armscorp rifles from this era... M14 parts kits were drying up and armscorp was having major quality control issues with their parts. Have you been living under a rock? You're talking about these in present tense, there haven't been any coming into the country almost 25 years.

The factory 386 M14s have awesome receivers and barrels. Forged 5100 is stronger than what the military guns were made with. The bolts had heat treating issues, some were good... Some not so much but a more or less simple fix.
Brett,

You’ve been here for 6 months resulting in 25 posts. Perhaps you haven’t had the opportunity to get to know everyone around the board.

NEYCO knows more about firearms and gunsmithing than 95% of people in the business period. There is a very good chance that he has learned, applied, and subsequently forgot more about firearms than the combined kowledge of everyone else on the site.

I’m not saying that it isn’t possible that he may be mistaken. Not saying you shouldn’t question something you don’t agree with. However I would approach it in a more tactful way than calling “BS” and implying he’s a Fudd.

Just a few electrons for thought.

Brett,

You’ve been here for 6 months resulting in 25 posts. Perhaps you haven’t had the opportunity to get to know everyone around the board.

NEYCO knows more about firearms and gunsmithing than 95% of people in the business period. There is a very good chance that he has learned, applied, and subsequently forgot more about firearms than the combined kowledge of everyone else on the site.

I’m not saying that it isn’t possible that he may be mistaken. Not saying you shouldn’t question something you don’t agree with. However I would approach it in a more tactful way than calling “BS” and implying he’s a Fudd.

Just a few electrons for thought.
Well he's wrong.... So I don't know what exactly you want from me.

Decorum would be a good start.
No I'm good. If that got y'all so upset than I don't know if there is a good way to get that across...

More experts on the M14 side of things and the chinese firearm side of things agree with my standpoint than y'all... Sooo... Most people would put a chinese barrel and receiver on par with a current production LRB rifle. The downfall is the bolt and those can be had for 200-300 bucks

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Well he's wrong.... So I don't know what exactly you want from me.
Good lord really? Okay let’s try again. As said above...

So instead of “calling BS” or implying that he’s a fudd you could instead try this track.

“Hey NYECO, that’s not my experience with Chinese M14’s at all. Mine have all been great. Here are the threads at M14.com that also agree that they’re great. Can you expand on your experience with them?”

That’s how two civil people engage in a discussion about a topic they don’t agree on. Especially over the net when you and he don’t know one another. Especially when you’ve been around here for all of two seconds. Calling BS on a friend is far different from doing so to some faceless username on the net.

You’ve also happened to disagree with the one person here who has the extent of knowledge to have a well respected opinion.

Sorry you didn’t happen to pick up on civil discourse somewhere along the way from your parents or in school. Take this as a chance to learn, grow, and we can all move on.

Just a few more electrons for thought.

Last edited:
Good lord really? Okay let’s try again. As said above...

So instead of “calling BS” or implying that he’s a fudd you could instead try this track.

“Hey NYECO, that’s not my experience with Chinese M14’s at all. Mine have all been great. Here are the threads at M14.com that also agree that they’re great. Can you expand on your experience with them?”

That’s how two civil people engage in a discussion about a topic they don’t agree on. Especially over the net when you and he don’t know one another. Especially when you’ve been around here for all of two seconds. Calling BS on a friend is far different from doing so to some faceless username on the net.

You’ve also happened to disagree with the one person here who has the extend of knowledge to have a well respected opinion.

Sorry you didn’t happen to pick up on civil discourse somewhere along the way from your parents or in school. Take this as a chance to learn, grow, and we can all move on.

Just a few more electrons for thought.
He can look up all the threads himself. Or call Tonyben, Jon Wolfe or any of those M14 nutjobs and they'll get the same opinion I gave out.

I'm gonna call it how I see it. That opinion is bull(crap) and it's filled with holes.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
He can look up all the threads himself. Or call Tonyben, Jon Wolfe or any of those M14 nutjobs and they'll get the same opinion I gave out.

I'm gonna call it how I see it. That opinion is bull(crap) and it's filled with holes.
Ah, got it. You’re one of “those” guys. The “I’m right and everyone else can go F themselves.” Guys. Ever notice you have a hard time making friends and you always had to play alone on the playground? Some introspection may provide you with some answers. However, I’ll be willing to bet if you haven’t come to realize this yet that there isn’t much sense in holding out hope.

Just as an aside, when you’re the one making a claim in a discussion it is up to you to provide the evidence, not tell someone to go look it up themselves. At least NEYCO is upfront that he is giving you his opinion and what he bases it on. You are making your claim because someone else on the net says so. If that’s your tactic then you have to give us the place to find “someone else says so”.

So I’ll stop pussyfooting around. You’re an ass. I’ll buy most anything NYECO is selling a million times over before I’ll pay your opinions the first thought. There is a very good chance he’s been building and repairing guns longer than you’ve been alive. I’ll also be willing to bet that 90% of the members of this site have a similar opinion.

Enjoy spending all your time alone in your sandbox, your fortress of solitude, at least you’re right, right?