• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Threaded barrels & California

RadTrashMan

Radiation Wrangler
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Has California outlawed or restricted handguns with threaded barrels?
Glock 19 Gen 3 with threaded barrel?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
CA Penal Code 12276.1
(a) ..."assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and ...:
(A) A threaded barrel...
So, specifically, it's semi-auto pistols, not all handguns.

Last edited:
So, specifically, it's semi-auto pistols, not all handguns.
According to the statute you posted it is ANY gun with a threaded barrel as it says ANY of the following, not a combination of:

CA Penal Code 12276.1
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and ...:
(A) A threaded barrel...

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
According to the statute you posted it is ANY gun with a threaded barrel as it says ANY of the following, not a combination of:

CA Penal Code 12276.1
(A) A threaded barrel...

The big A is a subset of paragraph 4, where it says a semi automatic pistol “and” one of the subset features.

If you went off of the lower case a’s use of “any” and looked at the subsets individually, then a semiautomatic pistol alone would be an assault weapon.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter

CA Penal Code 12276.1
(A) A threaded barrel...
I think you are misreading my snips of the code to present only the applicable clauses in a clear manner for the OP.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
The big A is a subset of paragraph 4, where it says a semi automatic pistol “and” one of the subset features.....
Yes, I see his confusion now. There was no indented paragraphs in the source I quoted. That would have made it easier.

a. blah blah blah
..........4. blah blah blah
....................A. blah blah blah

I compounded the confusion by removing the nonrelevant parts of the outline format, even though I indicated it with ellipses.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
So back to the point of the question, can you use a "bullet button" or "disassembly" feature on a Glock and make the threaded barrel legal, or have they already fixed that loophole?

Yes. the gun must be assembled and operational to be an Assault Weapon. If you take the slide off, or remove the barrel, it is not an Assault Weapon.

As soon as you assemble it, it is an Assault Weapon.

This is in the state register of regulations, and not stated in the penal code.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I meant, can you "fix" the magazine in a Glock (or other pistol) in such a way, like the "bullet button" or takedown pin trick fixed the magazine in an AR to be non-detachable, thereby allowing other features.

Legally you could. What practicality would be another question. You could build a glock with a built in 10 round box mag, that is loaded via stripper clips.

Any separation of frame/slide trick would have to prevent the mag from being released until separated, and separate enough to make the weapon inoperable.

RadTrashMan

Radiation Wrangler
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Pretty clear - the law against modern amenities on weapons in still debatable.
I will keep my weapons free like our country meant them to be.
Not subject to the "Let's do something " politicians.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Besides, what does a threaded barrel get you in CA? About the same as the wing on the back of your Mazda.

It’s all cosmetic or incidental features that they read about in a spy novel or something. At the end of the day an AR and a Mini function and perform the same, but one is an evil felony with no peaceful purpose, and one is ok.