• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Official Motorcycle Thread!

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Had that bike up to 155 (shown on the speedo at least) back in the day, when I was a lot younger, and a lot DUMBER, too!
Yeah....I ran with a ZX10 once through the orange groves, hwy 76, on the way to Palomar. Indicated 160 and still pulling.
I thought "if I dump this I'm going a mile down the highway". I backed off and it felt like I wasn't even moving.

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Have to admit, my FIRST thought after seeing that many motorcycles, was "MUST be a lifetime bachelor - because I can't imagine many, if any, women that would allow their man to have that kind of collection"
I had four motorcycles before Tom died in 2016. Look what happened shortly after:

1971 Black BMW R75/5
1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yel Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE

2016 Org/Blk Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2016 Org/Blk Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Blue Energica SS9

-Don- Auburn, CA

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
(shown on the speedo at least)
Only American bikes are accurate (HD & Zero). European bikes always read more than 5 MPH on the freeway, 10 MPH high if you're really going fast (+90 MPH). Perhaps because of all their speed cameras in Europe.

The Japanese bikes are usually somewhere in between the two.

I have a GPS on all ten of my bikes, so I can see the real speed.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
^wow!

Are you or were you married????

Have to admit, my FIRST thought after seeing that many motorcycles, was "MUST be a lifetime bachelor - because I can't imagine many, if any, women that would allow their man to have that kind of collection"
I was single back then... Been married 10 years so, only the CBR in my garage now... lol But, kidding aside my wife doesn't care what I buy. I actually stopped riding bikes about 6 years ago and started stamp and noise maker and not so noisy collecting... lol

Last edited:

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Speedo inaccuracies aside. Let's just say that lofting a front wheel over a rise in the road while pulling 150+ mph on a public road, with side streets,
can be unnerving even if you are young and dumb.

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
Speedo inaccuracies aside. Let's just say that lofting a front wheel over a rise in the road while pulling 150+ mph on a public road, with side streets,
can be unnerving even if you are young and dumb.
Ain't that the truth... lol

I watched a turbo charged GSXR 1100 at the speed trials he was doing 175 when he hit the nos. front end didn't come back down until around 205mph...

Last edited:

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Last winter suited up for long highway ride. Rode over the hump to Pahrump. Speedo was between 108-115. I was being passed by traffic. Looked down at the pavement. Thought the medics would be removing me from the road with a spoon, and spatula. Thought it might be a long slow death. Went down to a comfy 5th gear ride at 55. Stopped at Sheri's ranch for a beer, and collected a coffee mug. No, didn't sample any of the horderves. I need to do that again.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Suited up for a long highway ride? To Pahrump???

Thats only an hour give or take!

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Didn't know we had an electric motorcycle dealer in town?
Major Powersports locally, but I visited a dealer when I was in PHX a bit back.

Its the 100% of torque from tip-in that really has my interest. I really need to stop riding like I'm 20 when I'm out bombing around the desert. I really do.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Didn't know we had an electric motorcycle dealer in town?

Not really my style, but curiosity might make me pay them a visit.
In Las Vegas? Of course they have a Zero dealer. Owned by the same filthy rich guys as the Reno shop.

I often ride with the old owner, Brad, who retired a few years ago.

There in LV it is at:

6175 W Sahara Ave ste b, Las Vegas, NV 89146

1 (702)454-6269

-Don- Auburn, CA

Jayc71

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Took the Harley plunge today, 2020 Ultra Limited. I've owned many bikes, this is the first HD and it's an amazing machine. The Mrs and I want to do some longer 2-up trips in comfort. Took her home today, somehow managed to put about 75 miles on it over the 8 mile trip home. :cool:

harley1.jpg

Last edited:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Took the Harley plunge today, 2020 Ultra Limited. I've owned many bikes, this is the first HD and it's an amazing machine. The Mrs and I want to do some longer 2-up trips in comfort.
Congrats! (y)

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Took the Harley plunge today, 2020 Ultra Limited. I've owned many bikes, this is the first HD and it's an amazing machine. The Mrs and I want to do some longer 2-up trips in comfort.
Nice! Be sure to ride it to here!

I will ride there! On my Zero DS electric. Perhaps the only bike there to have more wide range torque than your new Harley! And that is saying a lot, as those Harleys have a lot of low end torque!

Comfort you will get.

My Harley is the most comfy bike I own for a very long trip. Yours should be quite similar. Also, gets an average of around 50 MPG. A little less for the first 6K miles or so, until it breaks in a bit.

-Don- Furnace Creek, DVNP, CA

Jayc71

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Nice! Be sure to ride it to here!

I will ride there! On my Zero DS electric. Perhaps the only bike there to have more wide range torque than your new Harley! And that is saying a lot, as those Harleys have a lot of low end torque!

Comfort you will get.

My Harley is the most comfy bike I own for a very long trip. Yours should be quite similar. Also, gets an average of around 50 MPG. A little less for the first 6K miles or so, until it breaks in a bit.

-Don- Furnace Creek, DVNP, CA
Not sure I can make it due to work, but I'll try!