• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Best 22 Rifle I Ever Owned

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Savage Model 72. Great little gun, excellent for kids! Got it passed down through the family. Gun is from mid 70s.

Bob R

My first gun was a Winchester Model 67. A single shot bolt action that was given to me in 1961 (8 y/o), so nearly at the end of the run for the model. I still have it and it still shoots. There are prettier and more accurate 22s out there but this one will never leave me while I can still shoot.

bob

akaTrex

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Purchased a Ruger 10/22 a year ago.
Most recently a Blued, Octogon barreled HENRY Frontier.
I figured a better choice in the Las Vegas Sun. Avoiding the glare of the Golden Boy / Golden Boy Silver.

Just installed a set of Skinner Peep Sights. Can't wait to shoot both of them thar Virgins!

Last edited:
I like the older Remington 572 tube fed pump 22's. The thing I like about a pump is that you can keep your eye on the target while cycling. A close second would be the Browning lever action with the short throw lever.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
The best one is probably my Mossberg 146B(a) from the 1950’s. Peep sight, barrel sight, 4 front post options, 15 round tube fed. Adjustable trigger. I’ve placed in a few rimfire silhouette matches with it. Crazy accurate with just plain standard velocity .22lr.

Don’t have any pics because every old wooden 22 looks about the same

Bumper

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
As a young'un in the mid 50's, I sure wanted a Winchester 62a, (sometimes referred to as a "gallery gun" (though that one was more properly made for .22 short only). Anyway, dang near burnt a hole in that page of the "Shooter's Bible", stared at that pump action exposed hammer gun so much. As I recall, it was about $59, we were poor, no way that was happening. I probably have half a dozen of them now, as well as another very desirable .22, a Marlin Mountie in like new condition (pre cross-bolt safety). This is the straight stock carbine length version of Marlin's popular 39a .22 lever gun.

This Henry Silver Eagle has become my favorite,most accurate,quality 22 I have.I have a 10/22 with 25 round mags but there's something nostalgic about a lever rifle that's slower but is just as fun in different ways.Never for sale and is a keeper to be handed down.With a little persistence there is no 22lr.shortage at Sportsmans Warehouse,Cal-ranch or Ventura Munitions a sure bet.The action is very smooth and easy on the fingers.
I miss this rifle

ACP1

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Browing SA 22, 41 years old, fun gun to shoot. Light and simple to break down to carry in a back pack.

Aswild

Ez come ez go
As a young'un in the mid 50's, I sure wanted a Winchester 62a, (sometimes referred to as a "gallery gun" (though that one was more properly made for .22 short only). Anyway, dang near burnt a hole in that page of the "Shooter's Bible", stared at that pump action exposed hammer gun so much. As I recall, it was about $59, we were poor, no way that was happening. I probably have half a dozen of them now, as well as another very desirable .22, a Marlin Mountie in like new condition (pre cross-bolt safety). This is the straight stock carbine length version of Marlin's popular 39a .22 lever gun.
Bumper if u ever want one to go to a good home I would love to get one off u. Just a FYI