• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

The Best 22 Rifle I Ever Owned

we're a dying breed

Not many of us are left who remember going to a fair/carnival and actually shooting a Winchester pump 22. To me at least, nostalgia equals the Winchester 61 or 62. This Rossi 62 pump is a tasty piece of cake given those Winchesters are getting hard to find. A 22 rifle, in my feeble mind, is a pump. (Like the pump BB guns.)

Another 10/22 owner here too, but I know what you mean about a cool nostalgic style rifle. For me it's this one. My Rossi Model 62 pump action takedown .22lr. It's a copy of Winchester's Model 62.

My dad has a Winchester 1890 in 22 short.
Guy he got it from said it was a gallery gun. Its well worn but still pretty accurate.
The problem is the chamber is worn out so when shot, the case bulges and it fails to extract.
Id like to get the barrel sleeved or replaced, but you know how it goes.
Another project on the list.

My dad has a Winchester 1890 in 22 short.
Guy he got it from said it was a gallery gun. Its well worn but still pretty accurate.
The problem is the chamber is worn out so when shot, the case bulges and it fails to extract.
Id like to get the barrel sleeved or replaced, but you know how it goes.
Another project on the list.
There were two things I did at the carnivals, The first was immediately go to the shooting gallery. The second thing was just walk around after spending all my money shooting. Those days feel like a million years ago.

Savage MKII FSS

[/IMG]This is my first 22 and I guess it is my current favorite .....I changed the stock to a Boyd's with DIP hardware.

My favorite 22 is a Winchester model 90 WRF I picked up at a gun show last year which is a twin to the one I inherited from my Dad, in fact, they were both built in the same year. I don't like shooting Dad's because of a cracked and repaired stock and the overall sentimental value. This one however shoots like a dream, shinny bore with good grooves, tight action and lyman peep sights.

My best shooting 22 is my Marlin 60SS which I picked up at Wally World a few years ago miss-marked at $158. I added the CNC'd trigger group and McCarbo spring set and it will flat out shoot any 22 I own including my 10-22's. This and a Speed-e-loader makes for a great afternoon.

I just finished upgrading a Remington Model 12a with a Williams peep sight and a Lyman front Globe sight to use in a Steel Match they hold once a month. Hopefully I'll get time to take it out tomorrow to test the new sights. It could unseat my Marlin as my go to rifle.

By nostalgic I mean symbolic of the old West with the octagon barrel and lever action old school.I know what you mean about shooting lot's of rounds in a 10/22.A couple of days back I went shooting my 10/22 stainless breakdown and went through 500 rounds of the federal blue box.I had 4 mags with me and I couldn't believe I shot so much ammo.Hey!What makes you think I'm so old?Ha!Ha!
P.S.Yes, Ruger makes good stuff I have many of them,flawless and accurate.Like you say!
After I got my .30-.30 Henry with an Octagon Barrel, I inquired about an Octagon Barrel in .22 Mag. Alas, the material for the barrel is not conducive to an Octagon. Eventually, I am thinking of getting one anyways, then switching out the barrel with a new one from 3rd party. I just think the Octagon has the really cool factor, but in addition in regards to my .30-.30, after firing it, the heavier barrel comes back down on target quite quickly, though I have nothing to compare to. It works for me! :)

My henry in 30-30 does come back to target faster than my Winchester round barrel. It also took many days of polishing of parts the get the Winchester CLOSE to the smooth action of my Henry rifles.

NvPirate

IBEW Electrician
My first 22 was an Ithaca falling block single shot. I don't remember the model number, but it was my go to squirrel gun of choice.

When Henry announced a lever with specs to my liking I immediately went down to my LGS and ordered one. Two days later, I was fortunate enough to receive #...500! It is a .30-.30, Color Case Hardened with an Octagon Barrel. I made a couple of mods to it. I did not like the wide-open semi-buckhorn rear sight and replaced it with a square notch (just my preference). I switched out the lever to a large loop which fit my hand better and the weekend after Halloween, went to a Pumpkin Shoot out where I wore gloves due to the cold and was happy I had switched levers. Henry makes a great rifle, but when I emailed the prez of the company about a CCH .22 Mag., he said that the metal used in making the .22's is not conducive to CCH as it was too soft. :(
While a Winchester '94 is in my future, I have thought up some modifications that I would like to do to it, to make it shootable, but still give it a cool factor.
Here is a pic of my .30-.30.

Attachments

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
I've got 5 or 6 (maybe more, I'd have to go count them) .22 rimfires, but my favorite .22 rifle is a Rugger 77/22. Bagged many a squirrel with it over the years.

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I have an old Winchester 190 semi-auto from the 60s thats been in the family since new. Its nothing fancy or high end but Id put it up against anything for accuracy. Fun little rifle to shoot.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
i was torn on a 22, when i wanted to buy my first 22, WAY back in the late 80's.

2 cousins. one had a ruger 10/22 the other had a remington speedmaster. both were 70's vintage, iirc.

we used to shoot with the speedmaster, right out side the back of the house, down onto a target bench. never a problem, shorts, longs, lr's.

so when i got my 1st 22, it was the speedmaster.

fast forward to late may'18. i sent my wife to the range for ladies rifle night, with the remington. she said the instructors were curious about such a "different" rifle in the black gun world. she had a good time shooting, even with the cheapie scope that's been on there since day 1. tore up the target pretty well.