• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Best 22 Rifle I Ever Owned

This Henry Silver Eagle has become my favorite,most accurate,quality 22 I have.I have a 10/22 with 25 round mags but there's something nostalgic about a lever rifle that's slower but is just as fun in different ways.Never for sale and is a keeper to be handed down.With a little persistence there is no 22lr.shortage at Sportsmans Warehouse,Cal-ranch or Ventura Munitions a sure bet.The action is very smooth and easy on the fingers.

Attachments

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
This Henry Silver Eagle has become my favorite,most accurate,quality 22 I have.I have a 10/22 with 25 round mags but there's something nostalgic about a lever rifle that's slower but is just as fun in different ways.Never for sale and is a keeper to be handed down.With a little persistence there is no 22lr.shortage at Sportsmans Warehouse,Cal-ranch or Ventura Munitions a sure bet.The action is very smooth and easy on the fingers.
While I am undoubtedly younger than you, my first rimfire.. first weapon at all actually was a ruger 10/22 my stepfather got for me when I was 13. I remember it being bone stock and over the years, putting the overmolded stock, scope, bull barrel....

Its a rifle that has never jammed, never had a problem with ammo and up until recently, never expensive to feed. I would have shooting sessions with this thing firing 1000 rounds at a time in an afternoon. The nostalgia of that is why I wouldnt even consider selling my 10/22. I have it to this day, 17 years later and it continues to shoot flawless and accurate. Only thing I have ever changed is a firing pin and extractor after they both wore out.

Not bad for a rifle that at the time, ran $200. I still think about picking up another one, maybe a takedown, but nothing could ever dethrone my 10/22 as having the #1 slot in my safe.

I have yet to shoot a lever action but lately I have been looking for some older Marlins or perhaps one in .357. Something unique to me about a lever action but not nostalgic because I have never fired one...but even to us younger guys, lever actions have their place and someday I WILL own one.

While I am undoubtedly younger than you, my first rimfire.. first weapon at all actually was a ruger 10/22 my stepfather got for me when I was 13. I remember it being bone stock and over the years, putting the overmolded stock, scope, bull barrel....

Its a rifle that has never jammed, never had a problem with ammo and up until recently, never expensive to feed. I would have shooting sessions with this thing firing 1000 rounds at a time in an afternoon. The nostalgia of that is why I wouldnt even consider selling my 10/22. I have it to this day, 17 years later and it continues to shoot flawless and accurate. Only thing I have ever changed is a firing pin and extractor after they both wore out.

Not bad for a rifle that at the time, ran $200. I still think about picking up another one, maybe a takedown, but nothing could ever dethrone my 10/22 as having the #1 slot in my safe.

I have yet to shoot a lever action but lately I have been looking for some older Marlins or perhaps one in .357. Something unique to me about a lever action but not nostalgic because I have never fired one...but even to us younger guys, lever actions have their place and someday I WILL own one.
By nostalgic I mean symbolic of the old West with the octagon barrel and lever action old school.I know what you mean about shooting lot's of rounds in a 10/22.A couple of days back I went shooting my 10/22 stainless breakdown and went through 500 rounds of the federal blue box.I had 4 mags with me and I couldn't believe I shot so much ammo.Hey!What makes you think I'm so old?Ha!Ha!
P.S.Yes, Ruger makes good stuff I have many of them,flawless and accurate.Like you say!

I am with you on the lever guns my gun of choice is the Marlin 39A got a pair of them one Mountie one pistol grip both are great shooters

5.56 AP

Another 10/22 owner here too, but I know what you mean about a cool nostalgic style rifle. For me it's this one. My Rossi Model 62 pump action takedown .22lr. It's a copy of Winchester's Model 62.

I added a Henry Evil Roy .22 a few months back to my lever action collection. this puppy is one heck of a shooter. from 25 to 100 yards it is the most accurate shooter in my .22 rifles.

NASA

Obsessed Member
In 1959 my Mom bought me a Remington Nylon 66 for my birthday. Never had a single issue with it. My first gun and I still have it.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I've got a Henry H001. I really enjoy the reliability of the gun, and I would agree it is probably my favorite .22 rifle. But, I really wish there was a way to load the magazine through a sidegate like a centerfire lever-action gun usually can.

numba1stunna

Live.Laugh.Love.<3
In 1959 my Mom bought me a Remington Nylon 66 for my birthday. Never had a single issue with it. My first gun and I still have it.
My first gun was a Remington Nylon 66, handed down from my dad as his first gun. Have probably close to 50,000 rounds through it....

Not once had a problem with it. Took it out two weekends ago!

NASA

Obsessed Member
My first gun was a Remington Nylon 66, handed down from my dad as his first gun. Have probably close to 50,000 rounds through it....
Not once had a problem with it. Took it out two weekends ago!
Yep, great rifle. Mines over 50 years old and still going strong. It shoots anything I feed it.

Wow memory lane. I had a Rossi Model 62 years ago and boy was that a fun 22. I gave my youngest son my 10/22 this week so he would have a 22 rifle in his collection. I still have a few 22 rifles, of those that remain I like the Browning Buckmark rifle best. But I will have to get a replacement 10/22, everyone needs one in the collection... But I do have a Ruger Charger to hold me over.

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
I believe the most accurate 22 I have owned, as well as the most accurate 22
I've shot, is my Mossberg Model 44USc. It was made in the early 40s as a military training rifle. What an amazingly good shooting rifle.
As a matter of fact I am getting ready to go to the range this morning, and my 300 win mag and my Mossberg are already sitting by the front door waiting for me.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I believe the most accurate 22 I have owned, as well as the most accurate 22
I've shot, is my Mossberg Model 44USc. It was made in the early 40s as a military training rifle. What an amazingly good shooting rifle.
As a matter of fact I am getting ready to go to the range this morning, and my 300 win mag and my Mossberg are already sitting by the front door waiting for me.
I just opened this thread thinking of my mossberg m44. Great target rifle that gives any modern rifle a strong run for its money.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
"Nostalgic" "antique" "old design" Good golly, I guess some of you seem to forget those "modern" 10/22's are virtually identical to the original from 1964, that's 52 years ago!

I just opened this thread thinking of my mossberg m44. Great target rifle that gives any modern rifle a strong run for its money.
My friend has one of these. He said his dad bought it in thr late 50's maybe early 60's.
Really solid gun with like new walnut.
He hits anything he aims at out to 50 yards. After that the old man eyes start to hinder his performance.

My dad has an old beat up Remington single shot bolt action he got at a police auction. That gun is ugly as hell, but i can shoot shotgun shells off the top of the target stand at 50 yards all day. Really the first gun i learned to shoot well.

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911
I just purchased a Ruger American 8334 bolt action 22lr. This rifle is quickly becoming my favorite 22. My Marlin 25 stays in the safe next my 10/22. I have redfield 2x7 on her as she is just a whole lot of fun to shoot.

Beefstews

Where's the Beef?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
My Dad's Model 60

I have memories of my dad target shooting with his Marlin Model 60 somewhere near Lake Mead. When he passed away, my mother gave me the rifle. I cleaned it up and mounted it on the wall of our game room. My best .22 rifle I own...