• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Target shooting north of Verdi/Northwest Reno?

Is it permissible? Hawk Meadow Trail is a dirt road heading north from a Reno Fire Station located at the Somerset development. We plan on heading out there to scout it out but was wondering if anyone shoots up there. Looking at the maps it appears to be fairly hilly. We are looking to shoot long range (900 yards minimum) if possible.

Thanks!

I don't shoot anywhere near that distance but if I wanted to I'd probably head out Winnamucka Ranch road or out through Golden Eagle park a couple of miles, hang a left and head Northeast out to the dry lake beads. Check out the areas on Google and the website I noted, lots of easy access BLM.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
900 is a hard distance within the county with private property and congested areas to contend with. Check Washoe County Sheriff’s website for the official congested area shooting map. I vote the official range up off of Pyramid. Yeah, long drive, but you’ll spend at least that much time finding a safe spot in the open BLM.

I don't shoot anywhere near that distance but if I wanted to I'd probably head out Winnamucka Ranch road or out through Golden Eagle park a couple of miles, hang a left and head Northeast out to the dry lake beads. Check out the areas on Google and the website I noted, lots of easy access BLM.
Thanks....it looks like there may be some shootable areas west of Moon Rocks.

900 is a hard distance within the county with private property and congested areas to contend with. Check Washoe County Sheriff’s website for the official congested area shooting map. I vote the official range up off of Pyramid. Yeah, long drive, but you’ll spend at least that much time finding a safe spot in the open BLM.
Jfrey, So the regs say no shooting within 5000 feet of an occupied dwelling. Google maps show it may be ok. Thanks for your post; I will call the Sheriff and see what they say.

Phil

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
i think your going to be hard pressed to find a spot closer than 30-45mins from reno.
personally i would not shoot 900+ at Winnemucca Ranch road or Golden Eagle park unless you can find a spot where there is one road in and out and a mountain to shoot into...theres a lot of quads,side by sides dirt bikes ECT out in both those areas and ive found most do not have enough sense or respect to go around.

i think your going to be hard pressed to find a spot closer than 30-45mins from reno.
personally i would not shoot 900+ at Winnemucca Ranch road or Golden Eagle park unless you can find a spot where there is one road in and out and a mountain to shoot into...theres a lot of quads,side by sides dirt bikes ECT out in both those areas and ive found most do not have enough sense or respect to go around.
It doesn't have to be closer than that. Looking at satellite maps there are no dwellings up north near Moon Rocks and west of Winnemucca Ranch Road a few miles. Another area that looks like it might work is north of Fernley a few miles. Looks to be uninhabited, fairly flat for a couple of miles and a mountain backdrop.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
like i said the problem any where near the moon rocks is off road vehicles...not near moon rocks but other places...ive had guys ride/drive right past me and clearly see that i was shooting then go right past...had one guy drive right up to my targets get out and look at them before everything clicked in his small mind.

just curious...what are you shooting and have you shot this far before?

thanks for your words of caution. yes I have shot long range. I compete at pvgc with 6mmbr and 6 competition match. varmint steel matches out to 850 yards I live in California and have a place where I can shoot 650 yards but it's in the valley which is not the right altitude to verify scope dope

Rangemaster

Step Back Behind The Line
thanks for your words of caution. yes I have shot long range. I compete at pvgc with 6mmbr and 6 competition match. varmint steel matches out to 850 yards I live in California and have a place where I can shoot 650 yards but it's in the valley which is not the right altitude to verify scope dope
Hey Phil me and longrange both shoot at the match. See you at the next match.

Go north of the shooting range. Hang a left just before the Res. and go back into those valleys a ways. There’s plenty of open space back there. The only problem I see is the cheat grass might be too tall to get prone. You could bring a bench and be fine.