• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Suppressors

Looking to suppress a 300 blackout. And I would like to suppress other calibers with the same suppressor.

What do you recommend and why?

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
That is like asking "what is the best car?" You will get a lot of opinions. There are some great 30 caliber cans out there. A direct thread will always be a bit lighter weight, but it is more time consuming than a QD mount. It also leaves the issue that when you take it off, it is a good idea to put something on the host to protect the threads on your host. They can get dinged up pretty easy (experience). I have really liked my YHM cans for QD. I have an older Titanium Phantom. It was the best in it's day, but the newer Resonator and Turbo are even lighter and work just as well. They all work on the same QD flash hider and the mount is rock solid.

The old and new YHM cans I have rotate between a couple of 300blk's, a 308 Savage bolt action, a 300 Win Mag, and a 5.56 AR.

Don't ever use your center fire cans on a 22lr. Have a dedicated can for 22lr that is cheap and easy to clean. Form 1 and make one yourself. They get REALLY dirty really fast.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
With most of us, we won't each have experience across multiple brands, so there will be limited interbrand experience. I'm all AAC, from long before they were acquired by Remington, so I've stuck with them. I have way too many centerfire rifles equipped with their 51-tooth adapter to ever consider getting anything else.

I have two 762-SDN suppressors, rated up to 308, a short one and a long one. They are exceptional for suppressing 300 Blackout. I also use them for 223, 308, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

They do NOT have a rock-solid lockup. It MIGHT be one of the limiting factors on my long-range accuracy, which is still very good.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
With most of us, we won't each have experience across multiple brands, so there will be limited interbrand experience.
Like MAC said, some of us tend to be brand-centric. I'm pretty much all SilencerCo (with a few notable exceptions). That said, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably have picked up Q for the bulk of my cans instead. But, once you're sphincter-deep in ASR QD adapters...$$$ :) However, some new 'industry standard' mounting options will allow you to mount QD adapter across some brands. Yay.

The above aside, I am very pleased with my SiCo Omegas and my Chimera (all 30cal cans). The Omegas are light, and do fantastic on 300BLK. The Chimera is a tank and laughs at FA 5.56. I have a Hybrid46 that works as a 'one can' for 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 30cal, and even 450 Bushy and 458 Socom. That said, its performance is...okay. Better with the right end-cap, but still, just okay.

In general if you are not planning on going over 30cal, I'd look at the best 30cal can you get for your budget (buy once, cry once). Look at FA-rated, short-barrel rated (or no barrel length restrictions) if you plan on shooting any AR 'pistols'/SBRs. You can look at 'wonder materials' or not. Titanium is great for weight, but not so much for heat. If you plan on running 5.56 with more than a casual pace, I'd look at Iconel and stainless.

I've, uh, cooked my Omegas enough running 5.56 at even a 1 shot ~2 seconds to get them scorching and cooking the ceracoat (and that was with a 20" barrel just leisurely chipping away at clays setup on a hillside). They are full-auto rated and I'm sure they can take a lot more punishment but that smoking ceracoate was interesting. The Chimera just shrugs, mag dump after mag dump. The difference in materials shows. That said, 300BLK subs barely make either of them more than uncomfortably warm to the touch.

There is a new 'wonder can' out now, the Griffin Bushwhacker. (.22 to 45-70, very user-serviceable) I'd love to get my mitts on one to try out.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a few Q cans, AAC cans, and YHM cans and they've all done yeoman's work. The YHM cans really seem to be at a sweet spot on 'bang for the buck' if you're trying to stretch your budget (particularly the new ones) I've been making eyes at the new Resonator K since it comes with 1.375x24 threading at a very sweet price point (I need another 30 cal can like a hole in the head, but, hey...)

I've got a friend with Liberty Mystic-X (a 'wonder can'), it is much like the Hybrid that I have in performance, however, it is very user-serviceable, which I consider a plus. Mounting options are a PITA, however.

Last edited:

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Good responses here. Make your decision carefully, as Janizary points out, once you are deep into QD adapters, you likely won't change brands.

WantaG18

Geisterfahrer
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
These threads always get me thinking of busting my tax stamp cherry. May just spend the stimulus dollars on a suppressor.

Now we need a Congress critter to slide the hearing protection act into the next stimulus bill.

Depends on the other calibers you want to suppress. I love Dead Air because they have great customer service and one of the best warranties. if it was 300 blackout and 9mm subguns. Dead Air wolfman. It can also do 556. But if you want a more dedicated Rifle can. Sandman S or Nomad are both great cans also.

+1 for both YHM resonator and turbo
+1 for anything Dead Air makes
Nothing but great experiences with both. For what it’s worth, my SiCo hybrid is nowhere near the quality or noise reduction I get out of the others. (IMHO)

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
When I SBRed my p90 the Smith put on a gemtech flashhider so I became a gemtech guy. So far I’ve been pretty happy with their products.

Dragon40

Gun Enthusiast
I'm with MAC702 in I have an AAC SDN6. I use mine on .223/556,308 and 300 blk. The best advice I could give is do the research and pick one that has a multi-caliber use. Remember the decibel level is subjective, check on you tube or the suppressor maker website for suppressor videos for a demo on how they sound. OPS Inc, YHM and Dead Air make very good cans as well as Silencer Co.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
I run an old SWR Omega 30 can on my 300 BLK. Direct thread and love it. You can put it on anything with that 5/8-24 thread that's smaller than .308, so it could get moved from platform to platform...although I tend to leave it in one spot.