Steel targets for ELR

Roach

#operator
Found a good spot for 1500 plus but my standard 12"x18" target is a little small. What are the best options locally for larger AR500? I checked gotgun (sponsor I think) and the site was down. All of my targets have come from Kurt but he's a bit pricey.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
you dont need AR for that distance just buy a piece of cold rolled plate...you can probably find a piece of drop pretty cheap if you call around the steel suppliers.

Roach

#operator
you dont need AR for that distance just buy a piece of cold rolled plate...you can probably find a piece of drop pretty cheap if you call around the steel suppliers.
I'd like to be able to shoot at less distance without having to lug around multiple targets. Was thinking maybe 1/4"?

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The price can be a little prohibitive, but I’ve been really happy with everything I’ve bought from action target.

I think the biggest target they have is 18”w by 30” tall

Last edited:
Talk to Mitch at MOA Targets, and the ATF Convenience Store

He just moved his operation down there from the Reno area.

He can do whatever you want.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have six target stands and 12 target heads. Six HV targets and six 22lr targets. I’d be happy to take some pics if you’d find it helpful.

Roach

#operator
I have six target stands and 12 target heads. Six HV targets and six 22lr targets. I’d be happy to take some pics if you’d find it helpful.
Appreciate it, no feed though. Just looking for something bigger than what I have now. I have a half dozen now with stands just not big enough for my limited skill set.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I'd like to be able to shoot at less distance without having to lug around multiple targets. Was thinking maybe 1/4"?
cold rolled i would not shoot closer than about 500yds and id go at least 5/16s 1/4" is pretty thin...just an FYI...i shot a piece of 5/16s cold rolled at 330yds with a 105g berger hybrid and it went right through it...that same combo at 425yds did not go through but was doing some pretty bad craters...speed is what causes damage to steel thats why most matches have a 3150 speed limit.

cold rolled i would not shoot closer than about 500yds and id go at least 5/16s 1/4" is pretty thin...just an FYI...i shot a piece of 5/16s cold rolled at 330yds with a 105g berger hybrid and it went right through it...that same combo at 425yds did not go through but was doing some pretty bad craters...speed is what causes damage to steel thats why most matches have a 3150 speed limit.
I was thinking AR500 in 1/4" to save money. Funny thing is nowadays you cant seem to find any targets that aren't AR500. I might have to fish around for some steel scrap. I'd be shooting 140s in 6.5 and 300s in .338, cant see the Lapua doing much is any damage at distance.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Check out the plate these guys use. Go to around 3:25 for the hit

I’ve seen them use these in other videos and they seem very thin. At extreme ranges they just seem to dent and not go through.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I was thinking AR500 in 1/4" to save money. Funny thing is nowadays you cant seem to find any targets that aren't AR500. I might have to fish around for some steel scrap. I'd be shooting 140s in 6.5 and 300s in .338, cant see the Lapua doing much is any damage at distance.
oh gotcha...1/4" AR 500 would be ok.

The work has been done for you.
Look at the MOA Targets flowchart

https://www.moatargets.com/static-steel-targets

Target materials have been tested by MOA Targets with everything from rimfire to 20mm

The flowchart is solid
If you don't see an answer to your questios just call Mitch
He's easy to talk to and he knows the material
Also he's sponsored more events than I can think to count - there's piles of data and truckloads of fragged targets supporting the flowchart

Last edited: