• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starter Precision Rifle?

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I prefer more of a modern looking traditional stock. Also, I am completely unwilling to spend $2k on a base rifle at this point. I don’t even want to have $2k into the entire package. I just want to get something that I can learn the basics with. I have no desire to do the matches or have a competitive rifle. Just want to spend 4-6 hours shooting 100 rounds or less with some buddies. Reading through the thread is getting disheartening to say the least. The general consensus seems to be “don’t do this if you’re not going to drop a ton of cash up front”.
ok so now we are on the same page here...if you have no intentions of up grading or like @Janizary said chasing accuracy to the Nth degree, then by all means buy a savage or what ever rifle you like...theres not really any factory outta the box rifle that will not do what you want....i had 2 guys come out this year shooting cheap outta the box factory rifles hitting steel at 850yds with hornady white tail ammo.

and dont be discouraged by me or anyone else trying to get you to spend more money its just ive never met anyone yet that didnt upgrade.
if you do pick up an inexpensive rifle id be interested to hear how it shoots.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
To follow up on the conversation here about .223 as a precision Rifle. One of the Savage rifles I owned was a 10PC (Precision carbine). I developed a round for that rifle that shot very well. Inside 700 was sub moa. My wife would clean the paint off of the 797 and 870 yard targets all day long... until the wind got up to about 10mph. No rifle can change the external ballistics of a cartridge.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have less than $2k into one of my rifles but it has a chassis style stock. RPR with Vortex PST II scope. One thing we’ve all learned in this game is that it is all about compromises unless you have a very fat wallet. The other thing is that you can learn from the experience and mistakes of those that went through this before you or pay to make them all over again. I’m not trying to be rude , just trying to help out.

Let me know when you are going out. If I’m free I’ll bring out a few guns.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Whatever happened to the get together training sessions that @Quickdraw used to hold? I made one and then life got in the way.
That was a long time ago in our desert shooting days. I had wanted to do a more comprehensive style thing at DSRPC but well no one out there is forward thinking enough to see the value in that. Maybe now that I mentioned it here a light bulb will be turned on.

That was a long time ago in our desert shooting days. I had wanted to do a more comprehensive style thing at DSRPC but well no one out there is forward thinking enough to see the value in that. Maybe now that I mentioned it here a light bulb will be turned on.
Yes doing some form of mixed training / competition at a known distance range would be a good thing.

I bought a 700 sps varmint in 308. After I started reloading I wished I had went with a 6.5CM. Besides the brass they cost the same to reload. Reloads made a significant improvement in my groups and cut the cost of the rounds in 1/2.