• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starter Precision Rifle?

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
Why not the Ruger Precision @Facejackets ?
Price and I am not the biggest fan of super high speed “chassis” guns. Man...sucks to hear that I shouldn’t even bother with this until I have about $3k to drop.

A lot of the stuff I’ve read is that the Savage is a pretty good rifle for the money. One of our distributors is having a really good sale on them right now as well. I’ve been playing with an AAC-SD all day and I like the action, just not the stock and trigger.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link. I thought about the AAC-SD, but, I don’t like how flimsy the stock is, which brought me right back to the magpul version. But even at dealer cost, I’m looking at about $1k just between the gun and base. So I’d be adding $800+ between the optic and rings, almost doubling my ideal price range. I understand that the 700 might be better if I want to recoup money later, but, I don’t plan on selling a gun I don’t even have yet. I also don’t want to price myself out of the gun. And $2k is something I can’t justify to myself any time soon.

Is there a way to make the AAC-SD more rigid?
im not saying your going to sell it right away im just saying if you decide its not for you then your better off...i just hate to see ppl spend twice the money trying to save a buck...and you dont need $3k to get started.

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
You could probably bed the stock in some way. If you like the 700 platform, I would save some extra cash and go with a Bergara. On a base model 700, you’ll end up threading the bolt handle and getting an oversize knob, switching their trigger and stock. All of that is almost $600 at best, more if you buy a better stock. A buy once cry once scenario. And I speak from experience!

even if he buys a savage(trying to save money)hes going to do most of this and then some...i shot savage for 7yrs and had i known what i know now i would of saved a lot of money...theres places to save money but i dont think the brand is the place to do it...and i kind of agree about the bergara.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
This tread has a ton of valuable information in it. Everything being discussed here has been gone through many many times. There is more to the features and functionality than just a stock vs chassis. My 1st rifle that I started this thread with was a Remington Light Tactical Rifle (police rifle). By the time I got it setup properly I had more into the changes and rifle than if I had gone custom build.

start adding in things like::
thread muzzle and add a brake, thread change bolt handle, add cheek riser, change trigger, add scope base and we haven’t even talked about the barrel quality, magazine ready and if the action is reliable enough to be run hard and dirty. Then there is also the question about whether or not you can do the work yourself or it requires a gunsmith. Stop by a local match and see what is in the rifle rack. It is usually custom builds for the serious regional competitors and RPR’s for the newer guys.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
This tread has a ton of valuable information in it. Everything being discussed here has been gone through many many times. There is more to the features and functionality than just a stock vs chassis. My 1st rifle that I started this thread with was a Remington Light Tactical Rifle (police rifle). By the time I got it setup properly I had more into the changes and rifle than if I had gone custom build.

start adding in things like::
thread muzzle and add a brake, thread change bolt handle, add cheek riser, change trigger, add scope base and we haven’t even talked about the barrel quality, magazine ready and if the action is reliable enough to be run hard and dirty. Then there is also the question about whether or not you can do the work yourself or it requires a gunsmith. Stop by a local match and see what is in the rifle rack. It is usually custom builds for the serious regional competitors and RPR’s for the newer guys.

this is what im trying to say but like always QD puts it into words better.

like i say i started with savage and by the time i had EVERY upgrade made for that gun i could of bought one of my full customs including the scope and when i finally decided to move to a custom i got less than half of what i had in the gun...again my suggestion is to start with a better base to build off of or if you really want to save then just go with a custom now.

@Facejackets do you have an idea of the set up you want? i mean do you prefer traditional stock or chassis? heres a couple of options...a little more but will save you a LOT in the end...

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/barreled-action/

you also might want to take a look in the for sale section on the hide...theres a bunch of great deals on some nice customs right now.

Last edited:

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
this is what im trying to say but like always QD puts it into words better.

like i say i started with savage and by the time i had EVERY upgrade made for that gun i could of bought one of my full customs including the scope and when i finally decided to move to a custom i got less than half of what i had in the gun...again my suggestion is to start with a better base to build off of or if you really want to save then just go with a custom now.

@Facejackets do you have an idea of the set up you want? i mean do you prefer traditional stock or chassis? heres a couple of options...a little more but will save you a LOT in the end...

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/barreled-action/

you also might want to take a look in the for sale section on the hide...theres a bunch of great deals on some nice customs right now.
I prefer more of a modern looking traditional stock. Also, I am completely unwilling to spend $2k on a base rifle at this point. I don’t even want to have $2k into the entire package. I just want to get something that I can learn the basics with. I have no desire to do the matches or have a competitive rifle. Just want to spend 4-6 hours shooting 100 rounds or less with some buddies. Reading through the thread is getting disheartening to say the least. The general consensus seems to be “don’t do this if you’re not going to drop a ton of cash up front”.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I just want to get something that I can learn the basics with. I have no desire to do the matches or have a competitive rifle. Just want to spend 4-6 hours shooting 100 rounds or less with some buddies.
If that is your end criteria, and you have no plans, or desire, to upgrade in the future, chasing the Nth degree, then you would probably be fine with a serviceable Savage with the best glass you can afford.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I prefer more of a modern looking traditional stock. Also, I am completely unwilling to spend $2k on a base rifle at this point. I don’t even want to have $2k into the entire package. I just want to get something that I can learn the basics with. I have no desire to do the matches or have a competitive rifle. Just want to spend 4-6 hours shooting 100 rounds or less with some buddies. Reading through the thread is getting disheartening to say the least. The general consensus seems to be “don’t do this if you’re not going to drop a ton of cash up front”.
yeah if you just want to hang out on range 9 out at sportsman’s and schwack some steel at 600-1000 yards for fun any of the mid cost rifles should work.

A used option may include the FN TSR if you can find one. Back when they were being discontinued I picked up a 300wsm chambered one at a fairly decent discount. It won’t shoot 1/2 MOA but with careful shooting and good ammo it will do 1 MOA or a little less, which for my goals (the same as yours) is acceptable.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Take this with a grain of salt from someone totally inexperienced with "Long Range"

I built a 223 AR a few years ago as a hillbilly, "I can shoot that rock as well as your 308 Ruger Precision" gun.... 😂 I haven't taken it past about 640 yards or so, but it does keep pace within that 640.

Recently, and I mean weeks ago, I decided I wanted to push it further. So I decided to simply buy a 224 Valkyrie upper and use the existing lower. The existing lower already has a great 2 stage trigger and PRS stock. Figured this would be my most economical way of reaching out to 1k yards.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x44(?) scope that I'll be using for it.

Sure, I won't be hitting the 1500 yd club, but I'm not shooting competition either.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Take this with a grain of salt from someone totally inexperienced with "Long Range"

I built a 223 AR a few years ago as a hillbilly, "I can shoot that rock as well as your 308 Ruger Precision" gun.... 😂 I haven't taken it past about 640 yards or so, but it does keep pace within that 640.

Recently, and I mean weeks ago, I decided I wanted to push it further. So I decided to simply buy a 224 Valkyrie upper and use the existing lower. The existing lower already has a great 2 stage trigger and PRS stock. Figured this would be my most economical way of reaching out to 1k yards.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x44(?) scope that I'll be using for it.

Sure, I won't be hitting the 1500 yd club, but I'm not shooting competition either.
If you’re willing to live in the AR world this is a pretty good idea as well.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
As I read these last few posts, I’m playing with an 18” AR I built to do this. But haven’t. Lol. I love AR’s. But, definitely want a bolt gun.

And my apologies if I wasn’t clear enough with my end-game with the 6.5 desire. I just want a fun range toy, that is 1k capable. I just don’t want to buy a complete trash rifle. Just something to put a smile on my face that won’t break after only a few years of shooting.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
For a precision AR, upgrading the FCG from a standard mil-spec to something better is a must. LaRue MBT-2S is very cost effective way to go ($80) to start. It scales up fairly quickly from there.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
For what it is, I like it. I’ll probably upgrade the trigger at some point.

View attachment 55186

View attachment 55187
Throw a precision trigger in that thing and shoot it at 600 plus. Buy some 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match and get a feel for whether you like shooting distance. If you do, get the Rem 700 and upgrade the parts as you go along if you feel the need to. If you are not in a hurry, you are more than welcome to come out and shoot my rifle at Desert Sportsman in the next week or so (R700 SPS Tactical with some upgrades like I spoke of). This will give you a feel for what it's all about.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
For a precision AR, upgrading the FCG from a standard mil-spec to something better is a must. LaRue MBT-2S is very cost effective way to go ($80) to start. It scales up fairly quickly from there.
absolutely.

This one breaks at about 4.5-5ish. But needs to be better. However, it’s really low on the priority list.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
Throw a precision trigger in that thing and shoot it at 600 plus. Buy some 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match and get a feel for whether you like shooting distance. If you do, get the Rem 700 and upgrade the parts as you go along if you feel the need to. If you are not in a hurry, you are more than welcome to come out and shoot my rifle at Desert Sportsman in the next week or so (R700 SPS Tactical with some upgrades like I spoke of). This will give you a feel for what it's all about.
I really appreciate it! I’ve got a lot going on in the next month or so, so I probably wouldn’t have much time. Trying to pack for a move and then SHOT the next week. Poor me, right?

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
I really appreciate it! I’ve got a lot going on in the next month or so, so I probably wouldn’t have much time. Trying to pack for a move and then SHOT the next week. Poor me, right?
Sounds like a fun time :eek: I'm up there 2-3 Sunday's a month so hit me up with a pm whenever you are ready.