• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Starter Precision Rifle?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Precision rifle is about to take a new twist, 22lr Precision Rifle. This is like time warping back 10years and starting over for me...well almost. With a new match coming to town, NRL22 and a new match at DSRPC I find myself trying to gather an education on the subject.

Coming from a 10 year history of using my own handholds where I control the entire loading process, going to bulk processed 22lr ammo is scary at best. Most of what I've seen in Precision/Target rifle design for 22's seems to be wrapped around much tighter tolerances. This seems to be an attempt level out the inconsistencies within the ammo.

Here is what I currently use for my 22lr. It's a Savage FV Mark II in a Boyds stock. I have an Athlon Talos BTR 4x14x44 on it. The CZ455 will probably be the preferred 22lr along with the custom Ruger 10/22.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
QD...if you want a bolt gun id suggest a CZ455...

if you want a semi auto id suggest you spend the money and buy a Kidd...

this is at 50yds with my Kidd supper grade....

the Kidd will shoot SK pistol under an 1" at 100yds. i have 3 barrels for my CZ455 and all three will shoot under an 1" at 100yds.

personally i love my Kidd but i prefer my CZ455...only because its a great trainer rifle and more closely mimics my surgeon...i like the CZ so much i bought a GEN2 PST for it...i shoot it pretty regularly out to 300yds.

be careful the 22s are like crack LOL!!

6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle

I really like my gen. 1 RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I put a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope on it with a Horus H59 reticle.

With factory Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo I can get 1/2 MOA fairly regularly and never bigger than 3/4 MOA.

Yeah, there are a lot of other good competition rifles out there like the Savage Ashbury but I feel the RPR gives at elast equal accuracy and more for the money than any of the similar or higher priced options.

Eric B.

This is my set up, a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, topped with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP scope with the EBR02C reticle. With scope base, scope rings, Vortex bubble level and scope caps put about $2000 into this rifle. Have not as yet done any reloading, but with Hornady 140gr match ELDs get 1/2 MOA repeatedly out to 300 yards (have yet to push it further - photo shows 4-round group at 100 yards as an example). Edit - this one might be on the chopping block - medical bills and trying to build a business - not a good mix lol.

Attachments

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
My metal AI and Accurate mags are getting a little beat up and not running correctly. At todays match I decided to take the factory mags that came with my RPR out and use them. That was not a good decision. I had multiple failures to feed or similar events. I came home and worked on my old metal mags and hopefully got those back into operating condition again. I also ordered a few of the new Ruger branded AI-style polymer mags. I've heard good things about them from a few people.

I have a GA Precision Crusader in .308 with muzzle brake and a Vortex Razor HD EBR-2C scope with an Atlas bipod on it. I have 4 10 round magazines for it since I bought while I was still living in CA. It has been a safe queen for several years. It is a heavy rifle and almost feels like carrying an M60 and not my weapon of choice to take to the range. Should it remain a safe queen or should I consider selling it? I am not getting any younger.

I also Spartan Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor almost outfitted the same but a Vortex Razor HD EBR-2C Gen II which my weapon of choice. As you know it is a real flat shooter and not affected by the wind so much.

I am in Carson City and want to know if there is any other range longer than the Carson City range.

Last edited: