• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starter Precision Rifle?

Both are great scopes
The USO is a Ffp and the nf is a sfp scope, that's where most of the price difference is.

Ffp means the reticle is true at any magnification.
Sfp the reticle sub tensions change through the magnification range.

There's pros and cons to both styles, you'll have to look at a few and see which one you prefer.
The first focal plain, second focal plain actually didnt even cross my mind. Something tells me i am going to have to go to the next Sin City Precision match and talk to the shooters.

I know this may be a really stupid question... But I need help..

I've been itching to start with long precision shooting and am confused on the caliber to start with. My choices, in order, are: .260 Rem, .270 win, .30-06 or .308... I want to ultimately get out to 1000m without having to get a new caliber. I'm looking at the .260 since it's close to 6mm.. or so I've read. Any input on what to start out with? :blink:

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Forget the rest, they will get you there with factory ammo and with better ballistics.

I've been itching to start with long precision shooting and am confused on the caliber to start with. My choices, in order, are: .260 Rem, .270 win, .30-06 or .308... I want to ultimately get out to 1000m without having to get a new caliber. I'm looking at the .260 since it's close to 6mm.. or so I've read. Any input on what to start out with? :blink:

260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Forget the rest, they will get you there with factory ammo and with better ballistics.
Thank you! I know this will be an expensive project but I've been putting this off for a long time. Another dumb question. How is the .260 in defensive shooting? I know it's a preferred competition caliber, just want to know how this applies to hunting or defensive events.

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
Thank you! I know this will be an expensive project but I've been putting this off for a long time. Another dumb question. How is the .260 in defensive shooting? I know it's a preferred competition caliber, just want to know how this applies to hunting or defensive events.
260 is great hunting round for thin to medium thickness skinned game. It carries more energy and has less drop than a .308 at 1,000 yds due to the higher ballistic coefficient and higher speeds.

I would not use a 260 in a defensive situation during normal times. Defensive situations should be pistol distance unless the SHTF.

BUT, a 260 will create a massive wound on whatever it hits. Research sectional density of bullets. 6.5 have some of the best sectional densities.

260 is great hunting round for thin to medium thickness skinned game. It carries more energy and has less drop than a .308 at 1,000 yds due to the higher ballistic coefficient and higher speeds.

I would not use a 260 in a defensive situation during normal times. Defensive situations should be pistol distance unless the SHTF.

BUT, a 260 will create a massive wound on whatever it hits. Research sectional density of bullets. 6.5 have some of the best sectional densities.
Dang, 6.5 does have a great track record on chuckhawks.com! This is great information! Thank you again!

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Actually not all that expensive....I just built a 260...
savave target action..$560 shipped
28" shilen match select barrel...$325 shipped
bell carlson A-5 fully adjustable stock... $530 shipped
Murphy precision 20MOA base $125 shipped
I had a scope and rings so $1540 buck minus scope for a tack driver not bad.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter

There are different directions to go and they are generally wrapped around you budget. One route to go is a factory rifle that can be gotten into a little quicker, cheaper and developed as you go and your skill develops. The other way is a custom build to get a rifle with more capability for a dedicated precision rifleman but takes more time and money to get started. Both the 308 and 6.5/260 will get you out to 1000m but the 6.5/260 will do it with superior ballistics. Really the biggest questions involve your budget and dedication.

Actually not all that expensive....I just built a 260...
savave target action..$560 shipped
28" shilen match select barrel...$325 shipped
bell carlson A-5 fully adjustable stock... $530 shipped
Murphy precision 20MOA base $125 shipped
I had a scope and rings so $1540 buck minus scope for a tack driver not bad.
That's a decent price! What I'm looking at is coming around $2400 with reloading equipment included.

There are different directions to go and they are generally wrapped around you budget. One route to go is a factory rifle that can be gotten into a little quicker, cheaper and developed as you go and your skill develops. The other way is a custom build to get a rifle with more capability for a dedicated precision rifleman but takes more time and money to get started. Both the 308 and 6.5/260 will get you out to 1000m but the 6.5/260 will do it with superior ballistics. Really the biggest questions involve your budget and dedication.
I'm dedicated to where I want to do competitions. Of course there's always going to be a budget involved. That's where my dedication is kind of restricted. Make enough for a living but not enough to enjoy my hobbies :p Budget is the killer in my case! Haha

are you buying a used riffle or off the shelf? If new what brand?Also what brand of RL equipment? $2400 for a riffle scope and RL equipment is a smokin deal if its new or good used.
I'm getting a new savage model 11 trophy hunter. And for reloading I'll be using a mix of lee and hornady. I have a few selections of glass that I'm trying to get my lady to get for me as a gift! :001_tt2:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I'm getting a new savage model 11 trophy hunter. And for reloading I'll be using a mix of lee and hornady. I have a few selections of glass that I'm trying to get my lady to get for me as a gift! :001_tt2:
good deal keep us posted on how it all goes...also id go 260 as there are way more choices for brass.

So there's going to be a delay in my LR project.. I was swooned into another project lol. I will start to post updates as soon as I start up again with my LR project! Thank you all for the great advice and info!! Definitely a great community here!!! :thumbup:

Ok so I have decided to go 6.5 Creedmoor for my rifle. I am looking for opinions on what brand to go with. This will be my first precision rifle and would like to start out with a good one and have been saving for a while so budget isn't a huge deal but would like to keep it under 2000 for the rifle

RPR

Ok so I have decided to go 6.5 Creedmoor for my rifle. I am looking for opinions on what brand to go with. This will be my first precision rifle and would like to start out with a good one and have been saving for a while so budget isn't a huge deal but would like to keep it under 2000 for the rifle
The Ruger Precision Rifle would be hard to beat. It will also leave you extra for your optic and ammo.

loic1

Obsessed Member
Cant really help here, my 6.5 Creedmoor is/was my rem 700 in 22-250 . It was the sps varmint but i changed the stock to an hs precision, shillen barrel and added a muzzle break new trigger. Action trued when they installed the barrel. So, when you add all the cost from the rifle to all the add on it add up. BUT it also give you time to learn the rifle and to have what you want when you want .
If i had money and knew what i wanted to do in the begining, i would have probably bought a rifle from ga precision

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk