sks vs ak47

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911
I am thinking about purchasing a 7.62x39 rifle to complement my m4 in the SHTF arsenal. What the pro and cons of each and what shoul i look for when buying a used SKS or AK. Thanks in advance for input and advice.

Hands down AK47, (I own both), the AK is simpler, takes 30 round or bigger magazines, and more reliable. I personally would look for a converted saiga (if you can find one for a decent price) or a VEPR.

SilverStatePatriot

...from my cold dead hand
I love the SKS. What a great rifle. The only real advantage/drawback verses a AK-47 I can think of is the magazine consideration. The AK uses them the SKS uses stripper clips (unless you convert it to use AK mags, which is questionable at best). The stripper clips would mean you could carry more ammo for less weight, the draw back is that you would have longer reloads. Either way both are great choices.

Should you get a SKS do one simple up-grade.

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

This well help prevent slam-fire. (Uncontrollable full auto, it sounds cool, but believe me it is not)

Mooman76

Obsessed Member
The SKS is plenty reliable. It usually starts having problems when people start changing things on it with after market gear in particular the internal mag. It is more accurate than the AK. The AK though has a certain fun factor and stigma about it. It doesn't matter which you get, both are good fun guns and eventually you probably will have at least one of each.

Honestly this is going to turn into a SKS vs AKM47 debate. I own a VZ58, AKM-47, and a Chinese Type 56 SKS. I would grab the VZ58 over all of them myself.

The AK47 has a clear advantage for a in the field type of gun, field stripping a AKM47 only takes a minute. There is nothing precise about the guns so they will run forever without cleaning of any sort. Only thing I do not like about the standard AKM-47 is no bolt hold back but that can be fixed.

Also a AKM-47 that is well built with a new barrel is just a accurate as a SKS. That is a myth from when the AKMs being built were being built with used barrels. Now since the BATFE requires the barrel to be chopped up before importation.

Ed1963

Pro Constitution
I've owned SKS Mac90's and AK I currently own

hands down the AK unless you find a Chinese military grade SKS norinko comes to mind

all AK's SKS imported now come in a parts kit they require an American receiver and barrel. also in the parts kit is a paper with parts count of the 22 parts in the kit 8 must be American plus the receiver and barrel makes 10 us parts

my brother just built a Bulgarian few months ago

even the arsenals for sale have American receiver and barrel thx to the Clinton AWB this is what we get now although 1st Bush banned 35 types of assault weapons in 1989

my Egyptian Maadi AK imported in 1993 has the original receiver and barrel and 8 us parts for 922 r compliance.

trust me if I didn't have an emergency now I wouldn't be selling my Maadi

Early this year I had the same question. I ended up choosing the SKS for a couple of reasons, but it's really personal preference. A good SKS and a good AK should both function just fine and be decently accurate. That said, SKS are cheaper, so if money is a consideration you may want to go that route. In a SHTF scenario the shorter barrel length on the AK may come in handy, and of course they use detachables mags, although the Tapco SKS mags work very well; I use them myself.

I'm not entirely sure what Ed1963 is saying regarding imports. While it's true that AKs currently being imported have to be assembled here with some US-made parts due to regulations, there are still places importing SKS in original configuration, since they are C&R guns. That said, any modification done to such an SKS would require the replacement of 4 (or 5 for a Yugo) parts to be 922r compliant.

Hope that helps,
Alan

ZEN

Zen Warrior
even the arsenals for sale have American receiver and barrel thx to the Clinton AWB this is what we get now although 1st Bush banned 35 types of assault weapons in 1989
Sorry friend but your very wrong arsenal SLR ,the old SGL, saigas, veprs, and others have foreign made receivers.

ZEN

Zen Warrior
http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SLR-107_SERIES/

SLR-107 SERIES
7.62x39 Caliber Bulgarian Stamped Receiver Rifles

SLR-107 7.62x39 caliber rifles are top notch, Bulgarian made, stamped receiver, semi-automatic variants remanufactured by Arsenal, Inc in Las Vegas, Nevada. All SLR-107 rifles feature original Bulgarian made 1mm stamped receiver, original Bulgarian chrome lined hammer forged barrel,

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SAM7R.html

Arsenal’s Exclusive Milled And Forged Receiver Each SAM7R receiver is milled from a hot-die hammer forged receiver blank by the Arsenal Co. of Bulgaria.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/james-grant/gun-review-zastava-n-pap-ak-47/

Ed1963

Pro Constitution
right on sure but the receiver is more then 1mm :)

and the only thing they have on mine is they are perty lol

my maadi original stameped 1.6mm thick receiver original barrel imported 1993 most likely still has threads on end of barrel and bayonet should still fit with different muzzle device. if not any welder worth his salt can run fine bead down each side and grind so it fits lol

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911
I was just on slickguns.com and Pioneer arms has good price on their AK sported. I am really leaning toward getting one of those. Thanks for all the valuable input.👍👏

Ed1963

Pro Constitution
I was just on slickguns.com and Pioneer arms has good price on their AK sported. I am really leaning toward getting one of those. Thanks for all the valuable input.����
right on glad you've chosen if you have the funds I'm selling mine it's listed here in the private sales section

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
My Chinese SKS will out shoot my MAK90 any day of the week, I have a 20rnd "Star" fixed magazine in my SKS but I have a 75rnd drum for my MAK90 so it more fun to go "Full retard" with, not that I do it that often.

Casey

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
So someone commented on your old tread.

Curious what you decided on the sks vs ak five years ago?

I am thinking about purchasing a 7.62x39 rifle to complement my m4 in the SHTF arsenal. What the pro and cons of each and what shoul i look for when buying a used SKS or AK. Thanks in advance for input and advice.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
I would forget about another semi, you already have a M4 and find a good bolt action with a scope in a common caliber say .308 Win, I would not try to build a all out sniper rifle most hunting rifles will shoot plenty accurate and they are not as heavy.

Casey