SKS Bolt is REALLY hard to charge back and slam forward

Alcohaulin

"I see that you have made three spelling mistakes"
Just logged back in after awhile and first wanted to say hi to everyone again.

So my Chinese Sporter had initially came with a gross rail mount top cover that I got rid of, and bought a rusted original top cover off Ebay. I took this cover to the gunsmith who filed a burr off (to make it fit) as well as blued it. I took it shooting earlier today and noticed that the poor woman who was tasked with clearing my firearm on entry to the range couldn't pull the bolt back. She asked me if it was usually this difficult to which I replied - eh, it's a ChiCom SKS (In my head I was thinking this woman was either (1) incredibly weak or (2) was attempting to be too delicate to Sun Yat-sen) so I tried to help, and (1) failed horribly. At first.

I pinned the buttstock against my leg and gripped the handle knuckles forward and finally it cocked to the rear - where it stayed. I had to hammer strike the handle to make it slam forward. Before the work, it was like the bolt was sliding on melted butter. The same process was repeated inside the range to chamber a round, but did not have any hangups in regards to actually firing it. I poured A LOT of remoil on it, and while it improved slightly it's still not ideal. I'm thinking the new top cover has to get worn in, or is that not a thing? Has anyone else experienced this?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Sounds to me like either the recoil spring is binding up, or that new top cover sits too low on the inside.
Take the top cover off and inspect it for scratches on the inside from the recoil spring or bolt.
If not sure of what you see, take a black permanent marker, coat the inside of the receiver top cover with the ink, reinstall the cover, work the bolt back and forth a few times, take the cover off and look for scratches in the ink layer.

If the spring is binding, but it fires and cycles normally, you should be able to see one or more bright spots on the cover where the spring is contacting it, and on the spring as well, and also you may see a spot on the spring where it is folding a coil and weakening it.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Odd that you first noticed it at the range. Did you never check the unloaded function after replacing the part or even just chamber-check it when handling it before transportation?

You shot it even though you couldn't manually operate the action?

No, it is not normal nor needs to get worn in. Something is binding.

Alcohaulin

"I see that you have made three spelling mistakes"
Yeah I do see a spot on the inside of the cover where it rubbed off the frog paste. It's sort of odd to me, because the old top cover and the new one are identical in all aspects except this one doesn't have a rail attached to it. It had a burr that had to be filed off to fit but that was it (And it was rusted to all hell when I got it).

I can't recall checking it, I threw it in a case and there it sat. As I said I could manually operate the action, it was just harder than usual. The process was easier after applying oil but was still not as easy as it used to be.

mpzreb17

Troublemaking Redneck
Just logged back in after awhile and first wanted to say hi to everyone again.

So my Chinese Sporter had initially came with a gross rail mount top cover that I got rid of, and bought a rusted original top cover off Ebay. I took this cover to the gunsmith who filed a burr off (to make it fit) as well as blued it. I took it shooting earlier today and noticed that the poor woman who was tasked with clearing my firearm on entry to the range couldn't pull the bolt back. She asked me if it was usually this difficult to which I replied - eh, it's a ChiCom SKS (In my head I was thinking this woman was either (1) incredibly weak or (2) was attempting to be too delicate to Sun Yat-sen) so I tried to help, and (1) failed horribly. At first.

I pinned the buttstock against my leg and gripped the handle knuckles forward and finally it cocked to the rear - where it stayed. I had to hammer strike the handle to make it slam forward. Before the work, it was like the bolt was sliding on melted butter. The same process was repeated inside the range to chamber a round, but did not have any hangups in regards to actually firing it. I poured A LOT of remoil on it, and while it improved slightly it's still not ideal. I'm thinking the new top cover has to get worn in, or is that not a thing? Has anyone else experienced this?
Sounds like the recoil is in backwards. Also check for more cosmoline.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
You say you had to "Hammer strike" to get the bolt to drop, did you push the bolt stop/follower down first? if you didn't it may have broke something, I would take it back to your gun smith and have him look it over.
Chinese SKS's are some of the best I think, same with their AK's!

Casey