• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Side mount or railed gas tube for red dot?

Going to put a red dot on my WASR. Trying to decide between getting an ultimak gas tube to put the dot out front, or one of the side mounts like a midwest industries to put the dot above the action.

Opinions either way out there? Pros and cons in your experience with either?

inhiliator5000

Avtomat Kalashnikov
I prefer the ultimak. Never had a problem. Another cool thing is the attero arms mount.

Personally i dont ljke the look of side mount rails although the rs regulate looks great and has had nothing but great reviews

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Have both on different guns. For a small red dot, I prefer the Ultimak tube mounted rail. I also have an Attero, but on a mini Draco that there is no Ultimak for.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have the 30mm Midwest industries mount on mine. It fits the tube on larger red dots. There's no rail.
Only issue is that it sits to low to mount some red dots like the Vortex Strikefire.
I think I have a Firefield, which is holding up surprisingly well for a cheap one.

Always been an ultimak guy myself. Ive seen midwest come up with tube mounts that integrate with their handguards but I am an AK purist.

If you do go the side mount route, i wouldnt try to cut any corners and I would go straight towards an RS regulate mount.

Also worth noting, I bought a TWS Dogleg for my mini draco since there is no option for an ultimak and I have to say I am very impressed by how well it holds zero.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I bought a TWS Dogleg for my mini draco since there is no option for an ultimak and I have to say I am very impressed by how well it holds zero.
I have a TWS dogleg on my SGL21-61 and was floored by how well it has held zero over time, cleanings, etc. Very, very impressed. Wish I'd picked it up sooner.

I still prefer the ultimak for rifles but for folks who are more accustomed to the AR15 style of optics mounting, I have no issues recommending the TWS.

Update. After way to much consternation I finally ordered an ultimak. Now... what red dot?

Pretty sure I am going vortex for the warranty given the heat and beating this thing will get. Between a reflex sight like a venom for a more open sight picture with the long eye relief, or a crossfire to get the closed emitter and a little more robustness.

Any suggestions?

inhiliator5000

Avtomat Kalashnikov
Ive had a cheap bushnell trs25, and a cheap gen 1 primary arms micro dot on an ultimal. Neither failed me.
I now have the vortex red dot and its going strong.
If you have the money get an aimpoint but if not the vortex is great

Update. After way to much consternation I finally ordered an ultimak. Now... what red dot?

Pretty sure I am going vortex for the warranty given the heat and beating this thing will get. Between a reflex sight like a venom for a more open sight picture with the long eye relief, or a crossfire to get the closed emitter and a little more robustness.

Any suggestions?

IMO the Venom (I have a couple of them on handguns) is way too small too use as a primary sight on a rifle, mounted near the front on a gas tube.

I have a Primary Arms Advanced micro dot on one of my AK's, mounted in the same location, but on a Krebs keymod forend - it works great.

If you want to stick with Vortex, maybe something like a SPARC.

On an AK you DON'T need the taller mounts that are sold with many red dots intended to be used on an AR, FYI.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
I also have Bushnell TRS-25's on a rifle or two. While those work great, Bushnell has discontinued them. I think I'm going to try out the Primary Arms and the Sig Romeo 5 and probably use one of those.

I'm really fond of the holosun 403 and sig romeo 5. They've basically got Aimpoint battery performance, at a fraction of the price. Some people complain about FOV with their small lenses. But the housing on them is thin enough, it's not a big difference IMO.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Primary Arms is supposed to be releasing a red dot next year with a 25mm objective, like the TRS-25 was. I'll be watching for those when they come out.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I put Ultimak rail/red dots both both RD 701 and Arsenal pistol couple years ago. Both have worked out great

DeanD

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Never a fan of top cover mounts or gas tube mounts. Not a solid system for removing and replacing in the same place for accuracy. I would opt for the solid side mount attached to the receiver with rivets or screws. Just have to get it located and aligned to the bore perfectly before permanently attaching it so you don't run out of adjustment. Just my two cents.