Should I get an SBR? Need some advise.

This week I'll get my NV license. I'm looking at getting an SBR. I'm looking at either the Colt with 11.5" or the FN with 10.5". I was also entertaining getting a suppressor for the SBR, but I'm on the fence about that. Let me fellas.

With the newer pistol braces, dealing with the hassle of a tax stamp for an SBR seems less attractive.

If the BATF ruling ever changes on the use of pistol braces, you can always swap your stock and get a tax stamp then.

There is never a good reason to not get a suppressor. Given our new governor's campaign ads I'd say buy now or forever hold your peace. I've SBR'd all of my lowers, the ATF can change their minds whenever they feel like it.

42tula

uber Member
Get as many tax stamps as you can before February. You may not be able to get them after that IMO.

As stated above, the ATF can change their mind at any time regarding pistol braces..

If you have a lower right now, supposedly e form 1's are getting through quite fast. Like everybody else I suggest doing it quick before the governor can start his shenanigans, and there is no time like right now to get as many suppressors as you can.

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
Not to be Mr. Negativity, but assuming Sisolak has his way (which is very likely), what makes you all think we are going to be able to keep the silencers, SBRs, "assault rifles" & machine guns we already possess?

Tozan

uber n00b
Not to be Mr. Negativity, but assuming Sisolak has his way (which is very likely), what makes you all think we are going to be able to keep the silencers, SBRs, "assault rifles" & machine guns we already possess?
Because it will be very hard for them to take those away without a fight. Even in Commiefornia they have not tried to take them outright yet. They tend to grandfather things in because they can take one at a time so less people will rise up in arms at one time... I don't think they will go after machine guns either. So it coud be worth dumping a lot of black rifles for a down payment towards a real assault rifle.

If you have an extra $200 laying around and want one do it if you plan to efile. I'm currently waiting 4 months on a current form 1 SBR and 5 months on a form 4 can; it's a PITA. Hopefully in the next month or so I'll start the whole process and corresponding waiting game over again on a pistol can.

Just personal opinion but get a suppressor you can use on other rifles and not a dedicated one. You might be shocked at how loud they are even suppressed.

Good point, 556 suppressed is not super quiet, or even quiet. My first can was a Rugged Surge. In the long config with 300blk subs it is super quiet, but $500/case ammo sucks. If you're only going to buy one can go .30cal.

Why go with just one... Build your own and they are a little more affordable and if efiling they get approved in weeks not months. Being a stamp collector is fun everyone should have at least one of each...

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
Sisolak wont be able to take suppressors because its Federal, he has to grandfather it.
There are many states that do not allow their citizens to possess silencers, machine guns or other NFA toys. Just because we have obtained "permission" from the Feds to possess our toys and paid a $200 tax on each in order to exercise this right does not mean that nefarious and anti-freedom politicians cannot conspire to make it illegal in our state.

1544082053840.png
More states are lifting bans on suppressors, I think its down to 7 or 8. Libtards been doing what they can to make everything illegal since day 1, you do not need to remind me. Most people and gun stores will tell you to get it before Feb. of next year, quit being negative and fight the anti-freedom politicians.

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
View attachment 36616
More states are lifting bans on suppressors, I think its down to 7 or 8. Libtards been doing what they can to make everything illegal since day 1, you do not need to remind me. Most people and gun stores will tell you to get it before Feb. of next year, quit being negative and fight the anti-freedom politicians.
Trust me, I will fight any attempts to further infringe upon my civil rights. I have been a resident of Nevada for less than a year. During these past 11 months I have participated in an open carry pro 2A event at Carson City, I have contacted each of my state and federal representatives via email and telephone on numerous occasions and I have voted in a primary election and a general election, all with a focus on protecting and strengthening our 2nd Amendment rights.

My point was that just because you may possess a silencer before this crop of conniving politicians conspire to enact legislation that will achieve their goals (ultimately the total disarming of the populace), do not assume that you will be "grandfathered" in perpetuity. States have in the past, and will attempt in the future, to revoke the rights and privileges enjoyed by the citizenry.

We are about to face the onslaught of a Governor who publicly stated that he wants to ban silencers and "assault rifles". I take him at his word on this. He will be enabled and assisted in his quest by a majority Democrat state senate and assembly. As far as I know, most if not all of these senators and assemblymen share his views and goals.

I have more invested in stamps than the casual shooter or hunter has in their entire inventory of firearms so I certainly hope that NFA items will not be affected by whatever results from the next legislative session. But, I am preparing for the worst and considering it a call to arms (figuratively, at least for now) and activism. The phone calls and emails from me to our representatives will be increasing in the coming weeks. I hope you all will do the same.

Trust me, I will fight any attempts to further infringe upon my civil rights. I have been a resident of Nevada for less than a year. During these past 11 months I have participated in an open carry pro 2A event at Carson City, I have contacted each of my state and federal representatives via email and telephone on numerous occasions and I have voted in a primary election and a general election, all with a focus on protecting and strengthening our 2nd Amendment rights.

My point was that just because you may possess a silencer before this crop of conniving politicians conspire to enact legislation that will achieve their goals (ultimately the total disarming of the populace), do not assume that you will be "grandfathered" in perpetuity. States have in the past, and will attempt in the future, to revoke the rights and privileges enjoyed by the citizenry.

We are about to face the onslaught of a Governor who publicly stated that he wants to ban silencers and "assault rifles". I take him at his word on this. He will be enabled and assisted in his quest by a majority Democrat state senate and assembly. As far as I know, most if not all of these senators and assemblymen share his views and goals.

I have more invested in stamps than the casual shooter or hunter has in their entire inventory of firearms so I certainly hope that NFA items will not be affected by whatever results from the next legislative session. But, I am preparing for the worst and considering it a call to arms (figuratively, at least for now) and activism. The phone calls and emails from me to our representatives will be increasing in the coming weeks. I hope you all will do the same.
I think you worry too much, trust me you are not alone. I too, have invested on stamps and don't even want to talk about it. Yes, states can ban suppressors going forward but they cant take what's already there because its regulated by the federal.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
... they cant take what's already there because its regulated by the federal.
I did not think that to be the case. I've been trying to determine WHEN California banned suppressors. Is it possible that there are some there that are grandfathered? Any of the states that have banned them?

"Regulated" by the federal government, does not mean "protected" by the federal government.

I think you worry too much, trust me you are not alone. I too, have invested on stamps and don't even want to talk about it. Yes, states can ban suppressors going forward but they cant take what's already there because its regulated by the federal.
Actually they can from what I have learned in the 80's California started to take away the ability to own Dangerous weapons by limiting who could own them and what you were allowed to do with them. In 2000 when I tried to get a permit I was denied even though I had owned machine guns for over 30 years. So, for the rest of the time I lived there my Class III stuff lived out of state well they would allow a 10 inch Remington 870...

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
I picked up my first suppressor (AAC Ti-Rant 9M) on November 30th after a 8.5 month wait and have a .22 can I hope the Form 4 is received on before January 1st as it went pending a month after the first one. Today was my first time taking it out and I'm already hooked. I'd like to get a 5.56 or .30 can but am debating the DIY *solvent trap* on a Form 1 and possibly SBRing a lower. While it won't be as quiet as .300blk, 9mm or any other subsonic capable round, I wouldn't want a rifle caliber SBR without a suppressor. 5.56 is way loud out of a short barrel. I say get both!