Shotgun Chambering Reno

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A friend's at work has a old gun chambered in a 2 5/8 and would like to get it redone for 2 3/4. Anybody know a place in the Reno area that can do this ?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Don't know of anyone off hand, but any decent gunsmith should be able to do it.
First thing is to make sure the gun will handle the lengthening of the chamber(s), and that the barrel(s) are modern steel, not Damascus.
Measuring the wall thickness is the next step after determining the barrel(s) are steel, because you have to lengthen the chamber and the forcing cone to do it right.

Then it is just a matter of running the chambering reamer, and then the forcing cone reamer into each chamber, cleaning it up after , a little light polishing and it is done.

You could rent or buy the reamers and do it at home, it's not difficult.
Here's a good video from Larry on how it is done.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...71BF452EFF46345F853A7&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

Lengthening the forcing cone is the same process, just a different reamer is all.
Same for back boring the barrels if you need to remove light pitting and the barrel wall thickness is sufficient.

If you do it yourself, remember to always turn the reamer CLOCKWISE, never counterclockwise, not even when withdrawing it from the chamber, as this can dull or chip the cutting flutes, use lots of good quality cutting oil, withdraw and clean the reamer and chamber after every one or two full turns of the reamer, re oil, and continue.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Definitely nothing I'd try or would recommend him to do ... Iol
The only guy I know of is in Carson City and he balked at driving down there. I also gave him a link to a company making shells that fit. It's on him now

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If you do it yourself, remember to always turn the reamer CLOCKWISE, never counterclockwise, not even when withdrawing it from the chamber, as this can dull or chip the cutting flutes, use lots of good quality cutting oil, withdraw and clean the reamer and chamber after every one or two full turns of the reamer, re oil, and continue.
I'm always amazed, at how many people, that claim to be machinists, don't know this! As usual great advice from NYECOGunsmith! NEVER loan a reamer to a millwright! They can't seem to get the concept figured out!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Auto mechanics are another group who often abuse reamers.
Another option I should have mentioned is to use a hull trimmer, and cut empty hulls back to the appropriate length and then reload them yourself.
Pretty easy to do , and only has to be done once.