• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Scope experience

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
So I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a new 6.5 creedmoor rifle. Now it is time to mount an appropriate optic. I started with the idea of a Vortex Razor HD Gen II. It seems to get rave reviews and do all that I want. However, it is a 4 lb scope, and this is a Tikka lightweight rifle. It doesn't seem to be a good combo.

So, I started looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II. It has pretty similar features to the Razor, but is made in the Phillipines, and half the price. It is also a svelt 3 lbs, and not so bulky looking. It also comes in black, as opposed to the brown Cerakote of the Razor. It is about a grand.

In the same price range is the Leupold LRP. Very competitive on features and price. Both scopes are about 8.5 to 25 power.

Anyone here have experience with either of these optics?

You need a scope that lets you see what you want to hit, size and range what you want to hit, and allow for accurate elevation adjustment/holdover for what you want to hit.

There currently is no better reticle for long distance shooting at a reasonable price than a Leupold TMR FFP, First Focal Plane reticle.

The Leupold VX-3i LRP is by far the best value in a First Focal Plane scope. The reason you want a FFP scope is the crosshair stays the same size IN RELATION to the magnification. In other words, as you dial up the magnification on the scope the image gets bigger AND the TMR reticle gets bigger.

The VX-3i LRP is available in 4.5-14, 6.5-20, and 8.5-25, all with 50mm Objective and 30mm tube so they are very bright, clear scopes, and all are $999.99 currently at Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse here in Vegas. They were on sale earlier this year for $899.99 so if you are patient they will go on sale again, maybe around Thanksgiving/Black Friday. They weigh less than 3 pounds.

The reason you DO NOT want a Second Focal Plane TMR (which costs slightly less) is that the reticle is only accurate for shooting "math", which is sizing the target, ranging the target, and the crosshair holdover lines are only "accurate" at the scopes MAXIMUM magnification. This is true for all Second Focal Plane scopes.

Your 6.5 Creedmoor is capable of pretty accurate long rang shooting and you want a scope that will let you take advantage of the distance you can reach with your rifle. Leupold's are Made In USA so more Americans work than a foreign made product, and Leupold has a no questions asked Lifetime Warranty on the Scope, if you give it to your kid or sell it to another shooter the Leupold will ALWAYS be under warranty so it will hold value better.

One thing I found in dealing with Leupold is if the scope is no longer made and needs to be replaced Leupold will ALWAYS send you back the current similar scope of the same value, or the next scope UP from the one you sent in if they don't have a current comparable replacement.

Check out the .224 Valkyrie cartridge as an option for longer distance shooting, it does everything the 6.5 Creedmoor does, only better, further, and cheaper to shoot! You can get a .224 Valkyrie complete upper with BCG and charging handle from PSA for a little over $300 and pop it on any .223/5.56 lower. You'll need different magazines for the .224, they use 6.8 AR mags which fit in a standard .223/5.56 lower. Ventura Munitions carries a decent selection of .224 Valkyrie cartridges at good prices.

Happy Shooting!

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the input. I'm looking at the 8.5 to 25, and I really would prefer a Leupold. My old VX-2 has treated me very well for a lot of years.

I am going to stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have "sufficient" AR platform rifles. I love shooting them, but I don't enjoy carrying them out deer hunting. Too many things sticking out to jab me somewhere on long hikes.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
What do you want to do with the rifle? Hunt? What distances?

My hunting rifles have compact scopes. My Ruger GSR with its Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x32 just returned from humping through the Northern NV wilderness. I practice using its standard duplex reticle out to 400 yards. But I can't range with it, so have a Leupold 1200 laser rangefinder, too. That adds no weight to the rifle, and most of the time, I've ranged various objects in my field of fire before I need to shoot.

I'm not a fan of high mag in hunting scopes. Mine stays on 3x until I know I want to go higher on a steady target that won't be hard to find once I mount the rifle.

Vortex is (will be) discontinuing their Vortex Viper PST Gen II so expect to see it at close-out prices through the remainder of this year. (E.g., Sportsmans Warehouse currently has the 5-25x with EBR-2C (MRAD) reticle priced at $770, limited to "Available In-store Only.")

A few PRS shooters I know use it and recommend it.

ETA: Sportsmans has the 3-15x with EBR-4 (MOA) reticle priced at $600, also "Available In-store Only."

Last edited:
We'll find out at SHOT show 2020 what will replace the Viper PST Gen II, i.e., a Gen III, or what?

The Viper fills a niche and I have to presume it will remain in their lineup.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
I just came from Sportsman's Warehouse on Ann and 95. They didn't have Viper, and the Leupold was over a grand. Bummer

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
What do you want to do with the rifle? Hunt? What distances?

My hunting rifles have compact scopes. My Ruger GSR with its Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x32 just returned from humping through the Northern NV wilderness. I practice using its standard duplex reticle out to 400 yards. But I can't range with it, so have a Leupold 1200 laser rangefinder, too. That adds no weight to the rifle, and most of the time, I've ranged various objects in my field of fire before I need to shoot.

I'm not a fan of high mag in hunting scopes. Mine stays on 3x until I know I want to go higher on a steady target that won't be hard to find once I mount the rifle.
Maybe it's a ton of shotgunning, or maybe a lot of scoped pellet-gunning as a tyke, but the crosshairs are on target immediately upon mounting my rifle..no searching, ever.
Friends who have had that issue have mediated it by dry-fire exercise...pick a small spot on the wall and mount the gun again and again until the target spot is usually crosshaired, repeat until it always is.
That being said..usually the magnification is on 5/6. It gets cranked to 12 while sitting down if they are way out.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Maybe it's a ton of shotgunning, or maybe a lot of scoped pellet-gunning as a tyke, but the crosshairs are on target immediately upon mounting my rifle..no searching, ever.
I'm not as good at that at 300 yards with magnification as I am at 30 with irons. :D