• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Savage Rascal short Review

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
For Christmas I bought a Savage Rascal, a .22 single shot kids’ rifle, for the grand kids to shoot. It has a cheap, but effective peep sight, and one of the BEST triggers out of the box that I’ve ever seen. It feels like it’s about 3 to 3.5 lbs, with no creep or over travel! Apparently, it’s user adjustable, but I wouldn’t touch it, it’s great as is, and I’m very much a trigger snob!

It’s quite small, and I haven’t yet seen where you can buy a larger stock for it as kids grow, but it will be great for a few years. Maybe by then after market stocks will be available…. I have no idea how many .22s I own, but that trigger is making me think I need a Savage of some sort….

If your looking for a kid’s rifle, check out the Savage Rascal….

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
It's a nice rifle.
It is small however. I wonder if they make a bigger stock that one could use when the kid outgrows the existing stock.

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
Yeah I went with Savage Rascal for my niece. Only thing that I have found annoying is the safety can get flipped on really easy operating the bolt so then I have to find out why it wont fire...

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Yeah I went with Savage Rascal for my niece. Only thing that I have found annoying is the safety can get flipped on really easy operating the bolt so then I have to find out why it wont fire...
I have a couple Savage Mk II rifles, and use one for NRL22 matches. I have the same problem, but "solved" it by shoving two squeezed fired cases into the slot behind the safety lever. I don't use the safety anyway, but if I needed it, you just flip out the two cases.

YoungGun

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
We have the Rascal and the discontinued Cub. I prefer the Cub better but the girls like the pink stock Rascal.

Yg

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
The color options are a nice touch. I was looking forward to getting a pink one... but she liked blue. And at least two years later she still does.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Here's a clue for you, my young apprentice.....it won't fire because the safety is on!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Oh damn, so I shouldn't have cut the barrel down to 12 inches, cause that seemed to fix it!
You got lucky, that only works when the moon is in the house of the rising sun and Jupiter aligns with Mars, and chaos theory math rules the universe. Instead of cutting that barrel back to fix the issue, you should have used that micro second of Unbelievable Luck to buy a lottery ticket for that 1.5 billion dollar mega lotto...…..you would have been the guaranteed winner, but on the bright side, you fixed a $99 gun that wasn't broke! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: