Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 CM, ...Entry level??

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
Just purchased one of these used. Read several reviews and watched a number YouTube videos. Many described it as a very good "entry level" precision rifle.
Here are the results from my 1st range test: shot (6) 3 round groups. Group size: 1x.3, 3x.4, 1x.5 . Average less than .5! So I'm wondering how much more accuracy can you squeeze out of a $3k high end LR rifle? I used Hornady 140gr ELD at 100 yds
I think this is very impressive accuracy for a so-called "entry-level" rifle

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Well your shooting at 100yds I’m guessing?

Here is a 850yd group from a 6.5x47 ...
The black square is 1”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cujo

FFI CCI
Forum Supporter
Here’s a group my friend shot while load testing a couple of months ago. 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 Hybrids with H4350. You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money but chances are, the guy shooting the match next to you is. He didn’t spend a lot of money on his rifle. This is with a stock Savage action with a 30” Brux barrel shot using a SEB front rest. He measured the 100 yard 5-shot group at .024”:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Enjoy your rifle. My RPR shot sub.5moa from day one through 2500 rounds when I replaced the barrel for this year's season. I sold a custom built $3,500 rifle after I got my RPR because it just fit me better and did everything I wanted it to do.

If you are shooting bencherest then you'll never find the prefect rifle and load. If your shooting tactical matches then you can hang with the best of them. My question would be: How accurate do you need it to shoot?

For me .5moa will get the job done all day long if I do my part. No matter how much the rifle cost if you can't call the wind it just won't matter. Accuracy of the rifle is only a part of the equation. How natural does it feel running the bolt, trigger and scope on the fly. How is it setup to give you options with different positions in terms of using a bipod or sling. How does the weight and balance feel to you. I personally feel pretty good about what I got for a little over $1K. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat and probably will when I wear this thing out someday.

I just got a Christiansen Arms Modern Precision Rifle yes is it about $1000 more than a RPR but, I paid that price for the 3.6 pounds I don't have to carry when hunting. Even with a suppressor bi-pod and scope it will weigh less than a RPR stripped down. Plus I admit I love the look of the carbon fiber barrel hand guard and cheek piece and the general lines of the gun.

Some guys might like the heavy weight or may only use it on a bench so the weight wont matter to them. For me my reason to have the MPR is for hunting in the back country for a week at a time an extra 3.5 pounds will add up in a short amount of time. The comparison between our guns the RPR is 14 pounds carrying weight with accessories. Mine is 9.3 pounds with a comparable equipment list.

My son inspired me to get a long range gun after shooting his RPR I really enjoyed shooting it. I shot a 4 to 5 inch group with it at 880 meters so I have no complaints with the RPR I still have to break in mine and work up what loads it likes before I can compare the accuracy of it.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Tozan that is pretty impressive you should bring your RPR out and shoot some matches at the palomino valley gun club...matches start next month.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
When I re-barreled my RPR I went to a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. That dropped close to 2lbs. I've only put around 75 rounds through it so far and while being lighter I still haven't decided whether I like the added recoil because of the missing weight.

I just use it for tactical matches so it's only being handled a few minutes at a time. When it comes to a hunting rifle 1lb becomes a big deal after hiking up and over a hill or two. DMR here in Vegas has built a bunch of lightweight rifles using CF barrels and stocks. They are really sweet.