• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Remington 870 question/help

Bought an 870 a few months back and did a deep clean on it last week and noticed a spring/ pin missing and the other was loose. On the Numrich schematic for the 870 it looks to be part 69 or 70, the trigger plate pin detent spring. Would any NS forum member be able to tell me which one from the pics? And if you have an extra laying around? I'm looking to replace the one pictured and put in a new one where I'm missing one. Parts are $7.50-$9 each on Numrich. 20201003_105358.jpg 20201003_105355.jpg 20201003_105345.jpg

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
It's the front one, number 69, based on the picture with the missing trigger plate detent spring is showing the front bushing without the spring installed. This picture is the one I am referring too, and sorry, sold all my spare parts when I sold the shop and retired.
With springs, if you replace one in a gun due to it being worn out, it's best to replace all the springs at once. Springs get worn out through cycling, these two springs don't get cycled unless someone removes them, but doing so incorrectly can result in their losing the tension they require to keep them in place once reinstalled.

1602014467022.png

Thank you very much sir! I really appreciate the guidance. I was looking to replace both, are there any others I should replace?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Well, if you don't know the round count on it, I would go through and replace every spring in the gun, then you know the starting point, and can replace them all again after 5K rounds, to ensure reliability.

I have a pair of 870's one Trap, the other Skeet grade, that over the 60+ years I have owned them, I have put over 750,00 rounds through each, keep records on all my guns, and I have replaced all the springs every 5 K rounds, and they still run with 100% reliability.

Well, if you don't know the round count on it, I would go through an replace every spring in the gun, then you know the starting point, and can replace them all again after 5K rounds, to ensure reliability.

I have a pair of 870's one Trap, the other Skeet grade, that over the 60+ years I have owned them, I have put over 750,00 rounds through each, keep records on all my guns, and I have replaced all the springs every 5 K rounds, and they still run with 100% reliability.
Good to know! My 870 was neglected so sounds like a good plan to replace them all! Thank you!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Generally if they offer a full kit, with all springs in a gun, it will be cheaper than purchasing them individually.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Call Wolff or Brownells, talk to a human, if either has the kit they should know if a full spring kit is still available, they both used to stock them.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Talked to one of the experts at Brownells and they do not have any spring "kits" for the 870. They have a trigger spring kit but nothing that encompasses eerything I need.
Of course not. More money selling individually. :confused: