Recommendations for desert shoot

Smokiebear

BaconOperator
I plan on doing some ammo testing and would like recommendations for between 150-500 yards outside of LV. What do you all suggest?

Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club range in Boulder City has public use days and ranges.

http://www.brpc1.org/

The Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club range features a Courtesy Range open to general public use, as limited memberships, on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturdays, Sundays and when the Federal Holiday falls on Monday between 8 AM and 4 PM, weather and events permitting. This Courtesy Range provides 12 shooting bays (25 to 200 yards), 2 shotgun stations (limited to #6 shot or smaller) and an Archery range with fixed targets (10 to 130 yards). All shooters must provide their own targets, ammunition, firearms and safety gear etc.

Smokiebear

BaconOperator
Thanks Tophog I'll look into them. Dreamweaver I looked into BRPC but they won't allow 50 BMG on their range only up to .338 Edge. Plus I have to go out into desert to do a comparison test on US Raufoss and Norwegian Raufoss rounds on 1/2 plate.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Thanks Tophog I'll look into them. Dreamweaver I looked into BRPC but they won't allow 50 BMG on their range only up to .338 Edge. Plus I have to go out into desert to do a comparison test on US Raufoss and Norwegian Raufoss rounds on 1/2 plate.
Ive been looking at the 338 edge but am now leaning towards the 338/408 big bear.. Something about the 300 grain matchking moving at 3000+ fps.

Then again since im not shooting beyond 600 yards regularly or 1000 frequently.. At this point it would be that "wow" weapon in my safe that I'd reload for since it will probably be an obsolete niche caliber in 10 years. Anyway I'm getting off track.

Theres a few spots at sloan thatll get you to 300+ yards but it'll be uphill/downhill for the most part. Theres a few spots down near searchlight I know of, on the way to cottonwood cove where people hunt yotes pretty often. Haven't been there in a bit but theres some areas that'll give you 500 yard shots and relatively flat.. Just not a oft travrled area so one of those "make your own road deals" if shooting is even allowed down there anymore. Been 12 or 12 years since I made that trek.

Be careful shooting that stuff right now, it will start fires. I started a small fire shooting APIT once but my buddies and I got it put out before it got very big. Are you going to shoot mild steel or AR500/Armor plate? If you are shooting MS you are wasting you time and money, that stuff will blow right through it, it will go through AR500 too but it has to work at it.

MP15Reloader making velocity 3k+ work real good. I will look into the searchlight area.

Earthquake it will be AR500 plate as the baseline test medium. As far as my client is aware of its capable of punching right through at a distance of 400 yards and still keep going. He just wants me to verify the Norwegian stuff is as good as it says it is. Got my 2 E-tools, 4 5 gallon jugs of water and 2 extinguishers in case of starting fires split between my buddy. Trying to get it done in the morning where its at least cooler and only shooting 3 rounds of it.