Recommendations for a revolver for petite woman

My girlfriend is 5' and 105#. She shoots a Glock 19 very well. It's all in the training. I know a lot of people contend that there's less to go wrong with a wheel gun, but you get 6 or so shots and then it's a ***** to reload quickly. Again, comes down to training. But if you're going to get training anyway (which she should), then don't start with something that's ammo deficient and hard to reload.

Have her go fondle and hold every 9mm at the gun store and pick the one that's the most comfortable in her hands. Personally, I'd recommend a striker fired gun with no thumb safety, for ease of use. No DA/SA or DAO guns with different trigger pulls. I'd want the most consistent thing she could find.

Once she picks the gun, she can find the guy on Backpage that will give you a free cert to go take a Front Sight class for free. A few people on here have offered the same. If she wants to pay, and go for a shorter class, Chuck Burnett at Invictus Training offers the women only beginner class here and there. It's a good class, and what I had my GF cut her teeth on before going to Front Sight.
Just how many rounds do you think someone might need in a self defense situation? Maybe a belt fed machine gun would be better than a semi?

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Just how many rounds do you think someone might need in a self defense situation? Maybe a belt fed machine gun would be better than a semi?
Depends on how accurately they can shoot under the life/death stress they will be under, lighting conditions, number of assailants, if those assailants are jacked up on PCP or something else that allows them to take 5 or 6 round and keep coming.

Personally, I will have as many as I can carry without undue burden. Currently, that's 6+1 in my pocket gun and another 6 in a spare mag in my pocket.

Depends on how accurately they can shoot under the life/death stress they will be under, lighting conditions, number of assailants, if those assailants are jacked up on PCP or something else that allows them to take 5 or 6 round and keep coming.

Personally, I will have as many as I can carry without undue burden. Currently, that's 6+1 in my pocket gun and another 6 in a spare mag in my pocket.
Thats it? your own argument you persuasively made seems that would not be enough. The median and average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is 2 of course some are many more. I think whatever makes you feel confident that you could defend yourself with is the number you should carry and that would be different for each person.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Thats it? your own argument you persuasively made seems that would not be enough. The median and average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is 2 of course some are many more. I think whatever makes you feel confident that you could defend yourself with is the number you should carry and that would be different for each person.
Pretty sure it was clear I was suggesting what a woman might want, and shared what my girlfriend shoots. My choices are different, but that wasn't the question asked.

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
me thinks some folks here need to start their lorazepam again. Carry what is comfortable, functional, and accurate. A hit by a .22 is lots better then a near miss by a 50bmg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I'm a revolver guy, I put a bunch of revolvers in my wife's hands (5'7, 115lbs). She just plain couldn't deal with the double action pull in any realistic time frame. She tried my j frames, N frames, k frames, and an SP101.

If she stood there, and ultra focused on her target as she applied more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more pressure, she could hit beautifully. She could not, however, pop off any shots in an effective amount of time. We're talking taking her 10-20 seconds to fire. Her smaller hands make a DA pull too far of a reach on even a K-Frame, and she found the airweight .38's too small to hold comfortably and a little unpleasant in the recoil department with any decent defense loads.

Honestly, I think she was being a bit of a wimp, but hey, I'm not the one that matters in this situation, she is.

So, I went about putting her hands on like 15 different semi autos. I landed on keeping it to a 9mm polymer thing with no external safties and stuff to keep it simple. Handed her a glock, she gripped it, pointed it, pulled the trigger, and her reponse was "yuck no" (thank god, not all hope is lost!). A bunch more, HK VP9's, CZ P10c, Sig P320s of all shapes sizes and calibers, Caniks, big guns, little guns, blah blah blah.

In the end she ended up choosing a 5" Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm. SPECIFICALLY with an external safety because she feels alot better about the step of physically clicking off the safety. Not at all what I thought she'd land on, but she likes it. First time we took it out, she said "this is the easiest gun I have ever shot, its like cheating" and I said "good, its supposed to be like cheating!"

So, all im saying is sometimes what we think is, or should be, ideal, is not.