Range Report on S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
My wife has gone through many firearms over the years in her quest to find an ideal CCW/home defense weapon she feels confident in controlling/firing accurately. Some of her issues are small hands, limited hand/grip strength and a strong aversion to felt recoil. She's tried Glocks 26/17/19/43, S&W 9mm Shield, Ruger LCP II and the Walther CCP. The closest weapon that she felt the most comfortable with was the Walther CCP. The CCP had the easiest slide to operate of all the 9mm's she's owned, but she still had issue with the recoil of the 9mm and couldn't overcome the anticipation flinch. I saw a vid reviewing the M&P 380 EZ touting it's ease of slide use coupled with it being a soft shooter. Some reviewers branded the gun as "your wife's/girlfriend/grandma's gun". I figured we'd give it a try and picked one up. I took her to a local indoor range and had her load up the mags. She found the mag easy to load with that side peg that assists in pushing down the follower. From the very first mag she was able to maintain center mass double tap hits right out of the gate at close quarters distance - this was a first for her. I push the target out a bit further to see if she could maintain accuracy under slow, controlled fire. She kept nearly all the rounds in the head zone. She has NEVER been able to do that with any weapon. During this range session, I had her fire a total of 350 rounds and she consistently maintained her accuracy and never complained about hand fatigue. The smile on her face confirmed this was the gun for her. Despite the fact the M&P 380 Shield EZ is slightly larger than the M&P 9mm Shield, it feels pretty light weight in comparison. If anyone knows of someone who suffers from arthritis and/or has limited hand/arm strength, this is a very good option. We opted for the model with the manual safety, but it is also offered with no manual safety. It does have a grip safety, but we didn't find it an issue to operate.

Attachments

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
Thanks for posting this. I have seen a few of these at the range lately, with much success for people who had difficulties with other makes and models. I think this is one of the better innovative products S&W has put out.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Thank you for posting; I've been looking at this pistol for a while. I know a few people that would benefit with it for the same reasons as your Mrs...
Generally did the pistol feed and extract well?
Really glad your wife is happy with it and she had fun. No doubt this will build her confidence/competence with shooting and handling that firearm. Start looking for deals on cases of .380 lol.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
The weapon cycled factory Federal 95gr FMJ and a box of Critical Defense loads I had on hand without one problem. On a side note, my dealer told me that earlier models of the .380 Shield EZ equipped with the manual safety (that were released prior to early April) did exhibit a defect with the safety engaging when using +p loadings and are subject to recall. I don't have any plans on having my wife fire +p 380 loads as that would defeat the point of going to the .380 caliber versus staying with 9mm. The current production model we have has been corrected for that problem. Given how much my wife enjoys this weapon, I'll definitely be on the lookout for discounted case pricing on practice 380 ammo.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
The weapon cycled factory Federal 95gr FMJ and a box of Critical Defense loads I had on hand without one problem. On a side note, my dealer told me that earlier models of the .380 Shield EZ equipped with the manual safety (that were released prior to early April) did exhibit a defect with the safety engaging when using +p loadings and are subject to recall. I don't have any plans on having my wife fire +p 380 loads as that would defeat the point of going to the .380 caliber versus staying with 9mm. The current production model we have has been corrected for that problem. Given how much my wife enjoys this weapon, I'll definitely be on the lookout for discounted case pricing on practice 380 ammo.
Awesome! Good to know the Shield line is reliable in 380. My 9 has been flawless. Here's where I buy all my case ammo with free ship.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/380-acp-auto-ammo-c-50.aspx#