• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

Question: Wanting to train my kids on Handguns

^A Friend just gave me the above little guy to try with the kiddos - I know nothing about “Hy Hunter” other than what I just researched on the internet.

I’ll have to clean it up and test it out before putting it in their hands.

I did pickup a Ruger Mark II from a nice gentleman the other day - feels like it’d be a little heavy for them.

That is the .22 that lived in my Mom's closet when I was a kid! She gave it to me when it finally died..I couldn't fix it and pitched it in the Virgin.

That’s awesome! I’m hoping after I go through it that it functions okay - he even had a cowboy type leather holster and belt to go with it!

Ended up that the timing is way off and the running it (without rounds) is very inconsistent where the cylinder ends up.

I’m probably not going to put rounds through it and it’s not “worth” the money to get it to a gunsmith to fix.

Looks like I’ll be looking for a .22 and giving this one back to my friend.

Thank you again everyone for the great input!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
If you end up with a .22 of any style, be sure to only dry fire it with snap caps.
While some designs are supposedly able to be dry fired without them, in reality no firearm should be dry fired, rimfire or centerfire, without a snap cap in the chamber to absorb the impact of the firing pin, etc.

Without that cushioning , one or more parts are going to see some shock they wouldn't see with live ammo or the snap cap.
That shock is cumulative, sooner or later something will be damaged and need replacement.
And that can easily be prevented with snap caps.

Most older .22 designs, revolver, semi auto or single shot, rifles or handguns, will experience denting of the chamber mouth at the least if dry fired without snap caps.