• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

PSA AK47 Gen 3 Failure

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
UPDATE on page 2, different ammo had no issues.

Just got a new PSA AK47 Gen 3 in, took it out to shoot for the first time yesterday and had a very quick failure. I got through 10-12 rounds out of the first mag and had a misfire, cycled and it fired another round or two them misfired again. After that, 100% failures. I checked the rounds and it looked like it might be a light primer strike issue. Stripped it down and the firing pin is not moving at all, it looks slightly bent or off-center in the bolt.

That's a pretty fast failure for a rifle that's designed to be extremely reliable. Got the firing pin out and these shavings came out with it. With those out of there the firing pin now moves freely. Are those from the pin itself? There don't appear to be any chunks of it missing. Anybody had an issue like this before?

akbolt.jpg

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have a few friends with Gen2s and never an issue operation. Reliable as hell.

Those little pieces look odd. Is that a copper color, or just the lighting?

Ironballs

Vegas 4 Life
Not right at all!
Might be a little tooling that got in there, or shrapnel from the machining process of your Ak. PSA is supposed to test fire these things and make sure they’re proper before they leave their building.

Stuff like this gets by with every manufacture but it should be less common with a good manufacturers. I’d call PSA to inform them, but I wouldn’t worry about it,... problem solved.

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Not right at all!
Might be a little tooling that got in there, or shrapnel from the machining process of your Ak. PSA is supposed to test fire these things and make sure they’re proper before they leave their building.

Stuff like this gets by with every manufacture but it should be less common with a good manufacturers. I’d call PSA to inform them, but I wouldn’t worry about it,... problem solved.
They could well have test fired it, it went through close to half a mag before seizing up.

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Those look like pierced primer remnants that got into the firing pin channel , ive had those jam up the trigger on an AR & get into the chamber preventing the bolt to go into battery , did you check the spent casings for pierced primers ? They look like the ones that jammed my gun.
Hmm, I did not. I did collect the casings though, I’ll check tonight.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Those look like pierced primer remnants that got into the firing pin channel , .
That was my exact thought when I asked about the color. Roundish, concave with dent in the center. I was thinking of a few types of Ruskie ammo that I have that has those copper colored primers.

USNGoat

Just another dude...
Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but measure the length of your firing pin and compare it an AKM armorer's manual (or just google around for the correct size). There's been some reported issues exactly like yours with several PSA AK variants, including the new 74, which seem to be attributed to improperly sized firing pins.

Also been some reports of improperly timed barrels, so keep any eye on it.

Just took my new PSA Gen 3 AK to the range today for the first time.

Inserted the first mag. Got about 15 rounds off and then heard a click. Never fired again. Tried different mags, etc then stripped gun. Firing pin broke.

NoT happy. I’ve heard about the reliability and durability of AKs, and my first one is a lemon. Never happened with any of my self-built ARs. Luckily, I had one with me to save the day at the range.

liking my new AK? “Nyet”

USNGoat

Just another dude...
Just took my new PSA Gen 3 AK to the range today for the first time.

Inserted the first mag. Got about 15 rounds off and then heard a click. Never fired again. Tried different mags, etc then stripped gun. Firing pin broke.

NoT happy. I’ve heard about the reliability and durability of AKs, and my first one is a lemon. Never happened with any of my self-built ARs. Luckily, I had one with me to save the day at the range.

liking my new AK? “Nyet”
I'm generally supportive of PSA, because I believe they do more for the 2nd Amendment than 90% of gun manufacturers, but basing the reliability of the AK platform off of one of their AKs isn't quite fair.

They're a relatively young upstart in the AK game compared to COMBLOC manufacturers, and as such have had their fair share of growing pains. COMBLOC manufacturers have skilled technicians with decades of experience building military contract rifles on established tooling. PSA has only within the last couple years started to take their AK line semi-seriously and just don't quite the same level of institutional knowledge present overseas.

That said the "legendary" AK reliability is kinda bull(crap). ARs are just as reliable, and in some environments more reliable.

sleepdirt

Forum Supporter
...I’ve heard about the reliability and durability of AKs, and my first one is a lemon. Never happened with any of my self-built ARs. Luckily, I had one with me to save the day at the range...
That's because you bought a USA wannabe AKM. When PSA sells these "AKM" rifles, it's the customers who are the actual beta testers. You're better off plunking down the extra cash and buying a genuine import.

And if I hurt anybody's "feels" over the above statement, ZFG.

Just waiting on the return label to ship back to PSA. They have always been very good to me. I just want them to make it right so I can have some fun.