• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Preview of first batch about to be completed

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well here is a small preview and teaser of the first batch that will be completed soon. The first batch is going to be stock removal method were it is ground from the steel instead of forged. I had to do this because they are tactical knives and forging thumb ramps and finger guards is pretty impractical.

First I ordered several steel plates from Aldo the New Jersey Steel Baron. The first step to making a quality knife is to start with quality raw material. Aldo has built himself a great reputation. http://newjerseysteelbaron.com

I had them delivered to a local water jet cutting service here in Vegas. Saber water jet. http://www.sabercutting.com These guys did a good job. They had a sign their from another knifemaker who used to live here. Trident knives. They used to do water jetting for him.

I didn't have the proper computer skills or software to set up my blanks for them so I just brought them in a drawing of the knives I wanted done and they did the rest.

Here is one of the guys at Saber checking out the cut.

The water jet actually cutting the steel like butter.

fresh off the jet

The finished stack of blanks and the original drawing they all came from.

One of each style was completed before the burglary. With the finished knives the grinding jigs were stolen as well because they were still in an unpacked box of tools. I bet they had no clue what they were.

So the new ones will not have a thumb ramp because I can not grind them properly without the jigs.

Here is a modified version that I am making for some co-workers who donated their time, labor, and some materials to do the electrical work at my shop.

First the blank was modified so only those two would have one like this, and to keep the sheep from getting scared at work.

To set up the flat grind first I hollow grind the blade to set up the angles. Then I flat grind it.

I then grind the blade on a disc sander to get the flat really flat. Then I glue a piece of sandpaper to my granite surface plant and work the flat on it getting it even flatter and removing any deep scratches before I heat treat the blade.

Tomorrow I should have about 20 more done in the original shape minus the thumb ramp and a few forged bowie knives.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well today was a slow tedious day but absolutely necessary to keep from having problems down the road.

The old sand paper had finally worn out on one of my disc sander. This ones was a grizzly. I guess the old sandpaper had baked on or something.

I had to nearly disassemble the entire thing. And several hours with some acetone and a gasket scraper I finally got the old disc off.

Before I could lay out my scribe lines for grinding I had to straighten the blanks quite a few were bent. When they ship your plates they just pick them up with forklifts and the weight of the plate itself will bend over the forks and leave you with bent blanks after they are cut.

So I had to build a bending jig that was simple and I could make without a welder. I had used this jib before and just held the bolts in place, but with as many blanks as I have fighting gravity while trying to hold three bolts and a blank require a permanent jig.

I first cut a piece of scrap angle iron to about the width of my vise jaws. My metal cutting bandsaw is a port-band type saw in a swag off-road table.http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V40-Portaband-Table_p_63.html It's worth every penny. I would prefer a full size metal bandsaw but this is what I could afford and takes up very little space.

My previous one was a dewalt. I prefer the dewalts rpm switch my had. I could change speeds from 80 rpm to about 300 rpm while it was running to adjust the cutting speed accordingly. The milwaukee has four speeds.

Then I cut two bolts the length of the side of the angle iron.

Using a little JB Weld I glued the bolts I had cut into the appropriate places on the angle iron.

waiting for the fast cure JB Weld to cure enough to set them down.

Some blanks weren't to bad and barely needed any bending, like this one on my surface plate.

Place them in my new jig.

You can bend some thick steel this way. I bought a bar of 5/16" N690 for a camp knife and it wouldn't bend this way. I had to first profile the blade shape then it bent with no problem using this jig.

Some blanks only took a little effort to straighten. Some were so bad that I'll have to fire up the forge in the morning and heat them up to straighten them and get the twist out of them.

But most came out like this.

What little bend is left can come out from surface grinding, but a deep bend will never come out no matter how much steel you grind off. The metal has a memory and as soon as you take it off your magnetic table it will bow right back up.

Some blanks will have different size holes, for different styles of fasteners.

The big holes with be black titanium chain rings. After seeing DJ Urbanovsky knives at the Usual Suspects Gathering here in Vegas I really liked them. They look to do a better job than flared tubing, are really strong and have a hole in the center so you can run paracord through the handle.

Well that was it for today.

Sin City Shootist

what do you charge to sharpen??

I have a couple of Wustoff - Tridents that I loaned a friend and they came back with some nicks in them...last time he'll see any of my good cutlery
I've had them over 25 years and he nicked them...DUH!!!!!!

They are still sharp and hold a great edge just need he blades shaped (slightly) and de-nicked

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I charge 1.25 an inch. If it needs reground I charge 10 to 15 dollars depending on damage and size of the blade. Small nicks can usually be sharpened out.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Most of yesterday and this morning was finishing paperwork for the hot work, kilns, forge, and propane permits. Just a small stack of paper work.

Then interviewing a new accounting firm. My current one left me hanging and didn't know who I was when I wanted a profit and loss sheet to prove how much I had put into my business for the SBA loan to cover the loss from the theft. So it's time to find a new accounting firm.

I got back and finished drilling the holes in the blanks for the handles.

That little ratcheting drill press holder I got from a local woodworking store here in Vegas. I love that little thing. It automatically adjust to thickness allowing me drill several things of different thickness without adjusting anything.

My belt sanders are the TW-90 built down in Casa Grande, AZ. I love these things. They are both vertical and horizontal grinders.

Travis has also built a nifty little surface grinder attachment to go with it that has a magnetic sine table built into it.

After the blade is surface ground it's back to the surface plate to scribe my center lines. This guides my grinds and ensure's I do not grind the blades to thin before heat treating them.

Then I surface ground and put my scribe lines on a forged L6 bowie knife I am also making.

It looks like I either have a slow payer or a non paying bidder on gun broker so I will not be attending the hammer in. So that allows me to work this weekend and make up lost time doing paperwork and interviews.

The big holes with be black titanium chain rings. After seeing DJ Urbanovsky knives at the Usual Suspects Gathering here in Vegas I really liked them. They look to do a better job than flared tubing, are really strong and have a hole in the center so you can run paracord through the handle.
Dose Dj still have that narly beard? Any way back on topic Dj been usein them fasteners for years digging your work man keep at it, I have some 1080 from Waldo laying around the garage it's yours if you want it shoot me a pm

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Dose Dj still have that narly beard? Any way back on topic Dj been usein them fasteners for years digging your work man keep at it, I have some 1080 from Waldo laying around the garage it's yours if you want it shoot me a pm
DJ wasn't at his table when I was their but I did look over his knives. I contacted DJ via email about his opinions on coatings and the chain rings. He told then that he was also working at the production companies table that was making a production knife of his. He was their but I didn't know to look for him at the production knife tables.

Who is Waldo or do you mean Aldo? Sure I'll take it. Aldo supplies some good steel though I did get some of his W2 he had to recall. I tried to make three knives out of it and was thinking my temperatures on my oven had to be way off when I heard it wouldn't harden and he had recalled the steel.

DJ wasn't at his table when I was their but I did look over his knives. I contacted DJ via email about his opinions on coatings and the chain rings. He told then that he was also working at the production companies table that was making a production knife of his. He was their but I didn't know to look for him at the production knife tables.

Who is Waldo or do you mean Aldo? Sure I'll take it. Aldo supplies some good steel though I did get some of his W2 he had to recall. I tried to make three knives out of it and was thinking my temperatures on my oven had to be way off when I heard it wouldn't harden and he had recalled the steel.
Yea I ment Aldo (auto correct fail) I know he land a production from böker and he is working pretty hard on his mid techs the best way to get ahold of him is to call him he's a really personable guy

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Yea I ment Aldo (auto correct fail) I know he land a production from böker and he is working pretty hard on his mid techs the best way to get ahold of him is to call him he's a really personable guy
I like Aldo's steel. He took care of everyone that got a bad batch. How many other steel suppliers would do that? The 52100 in this batch is from Aldo as we'll. so long as his service is the same I will use Aldo when possible. Are you a knife maker too? I'm in the shop now. All knife makers have an open invitation here.

User23

as soon as photobucket starts working again for me I'll update the progress.
If you need to set something different up that won't go on the fritz like photobucket, I can help you set up a domain with wordpress, so you could share images whenever you want.