• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Prescription safety (sun)glasses?

I’m looking to get something that is protective enough for shooting but also slim/stylish enough to be used as daily wear sunglasses.

Would it be a bad idea to get polarized lenses? I realize transition would cover my bases better but unfortunately they don’t work through UV blocking windshields which would account for the majority of my non-shooting use.

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Yesnick Eye Center
I got a pair of precription wrap around Rec Specs for shooting and driving. Impact resistant, look good, and convert to a goggle if desired. Also a strap to secure the standard ear pieces. had them for a while and pretty happy.

Yesnick Eye Center
I got a pair of precription wrap around Rec Specs for shooting and driving. Impact resistant, look good, and convert to a goggle if desired. Also a strap to secure the standard ear pieces. had them for a while and pretty happy.
I’ll look into them. What type of lens tint/polarization did you go with?

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
There are now transition lenses that do not require UV to change color - they do work inside a car, for example.

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’ll look into them. What type of lens tint/polarization did you go with?
Darkest possible. No transition. I think I got polarization. They have samples to show you how each type of lens or option works/looks.

Ask for Tim. He was awesome at finding the best combination and making it work.

My eyes are so bad that the lenses are made of the safety glass material and meet the requirements, whether I wanted it or not, due to the thickness and curvature. I asked for safety glasses and the doc explained the materials and showed how past a certain prescription, they all were of that material.

My eyes are so bad that the lenses are made of the safety glass material and meet the requirements, whether I wanted it or not, due to the thickness and curvature. I asked for safety glasses and the doc explained the materials and showed how past a certain prescription, they all were of that material.
That’s true but in my opinion there’s more to safety glasses than just the polycarbonate lenses. The frame itself should be reinforced, be more forgiving with ear muffs, have a more solid and close fit than general use glasses and there should be more eye coverage especially from the sides.

There are now transition lenses that do not require UV to change color - they do work inside a car, for example.
I know of transition lenses that have a default level of tint (always on), but nothing that transitions behind a UV shield as it would in direct sunlight. What’s the name of what you’re talking about?

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I know of transition lenses that have a default level of tint (always on), but nothing that transitions behind a UV shield as it would in direct sunlight. What’s the name of what you’re talking about?
However, Transitions® XTRActive® lenses do activate moderately behind a windshield as they react to both UV and visible light. In addition, Transitions® Drivewear® sun lenses self adjust to changing visible light conditions and are polarized to enhance visual performance and the driving experience by automatically changing their degree of darkness and color. They're specially designed to provide a more enjoyable driving experience.
https://www.eyeglassguide.com/my-guide/faq.aspx

I have the xtractive lenses in one pair of my glasses. They by default do have a little tint to them even when inside, but that doesn’t bother me. In the car they won’t get absolutely dark like when outside, but they certainly do work well enough for me to drive without squinting.

echo1er

uber Member
I have done oakley sun glasses lens that was $500 ish with all the bells and whistle on it.
This option I loved but only could use during sunny days.

I went back to my military roots and just order some U-RX inserts for my Oakley M frame SI alphas. This one was less then $100 not including shipping.
This one I'm getting set up on this Thursday. Looking also to add some oakley gaskets and upgrade the lens to tritium. With this option you can always change the sun glass lens.

You don't have to be committed to oakley the original insert was ment for ESS and wiley-x. But the U-RX has mad it modular between them.