Precision 22LR Rifles

Thank you Chaos!! For taking the and explain. What are the rules for rifles . Will be with peep sights or scope. Bolt action or semiautomatic. Thank you.
Look here:

http://dsrpc.org/tactical-precision-rimfire-22lr/

http://nrl22.org/

Bolt or semiauto. Scope with adjustable turrets will help a lot. The NRL22 page has info on the various classes (Base/Open) and has the courses of fire from previous months in the download section. The course of fire for March is not out yet.

It was my first time shooting this match in Feb. It was lots of fun and there is time prior to check your zero/drop for all ranges.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Sorry about that, I thought that you were just asking about the range not the match.

Yes all matches at DSRPC are open to the general public. You would almost certainly want a tactical style scope for the Precision rifle and Tactical 22 matches as the targets are fairly small in relation to the distances shot and trying to hold over would be futile.

The good news is that the price of these types of scopes has gone way down over the years. Athlon makes a bunch of options that are being used at the matches. There are a bunch of other options as well but that is a whole other conversation if you need to have it.

Last edited:

lasvegasxd

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
Sorry about that, I thought that you were just asking about the ranged not the match.

Yes all matches at DSRPC are ope to the general public. You would almost certainly want a tactical style scope for the Precision rifle and Tactical 22 matches as the targets are fairly small in relation to the distances shot and trying to hold over would be futile.

The good news is that the price of these types of scopes has gone down over the years. Athlon makes a bunch of options that are being used at the matches. There are a bunch of other options as well but that is a whole other conversation if you need to have it.
No problem QuickDraw!! Thanks for the scope suggestions I will look into the brand.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
No problem QuickDraw!! Thanks for the scope suggestions I will look into the brand.
I will be putting my Athlon Argos BTR 5-25x50 FFP Mil/Mil up for sale. Over the past year or so I have gone entirely over to Vortex. Because of that I've decided to keep my mental confusion to a minimum and let this Athlon scope go and pickup another Vortex PST II 5-25 for this rifle. The Argos is in perfect condition and like new. If you are interested let me know.

My toy finally made it to town this past week and got it all together. New stuff to me. Ruger precision rimfire/Athlon BTR with sunshade. Wind wasn't nominal today (Sunday) but what the heck needed to go shooting!!! 25yds only, 4400ft elevation, 70s and the wind was all over the place. One minute 9 o'clock the next 6-7 o'clock with an occasional gust from the 10-11 o'clock. 5-8 constant with some light gusts 10-13. Guessing on those. I wanted to do some 50yrd shooting but the wind nearly doubled by the time I did some 25yd stuff.

I'm happy with it :hurray:

I shot a fair amount of Federal HV 36gr/1260fps bulk stuff (my 10/22 and 22/45 plinking stash) to get some rounds down range and some form of zero. Then jumped to CCI standard, which I got my best groups out of. Then CCI sub-sonic 40gr/1050. Finally Federal Gold target 40gr/1080.

Out of those 4 I have no reason to ever shoot the Federal HV or CCI sub-sonic stuff again in this gun. CCI standard was the best groupings followed closely by the Federal Gold target. I have another 12 or so boxes of mostly match grade stuff to run through it some day to see what it really likes. Holding off until my suppressor gets out of jail to further test more expensive match grade ammo.

(Measurements on the paper is center to center/outer diameter of group minus the bullet diameter.) 5 shot groups with one 6. Lost count. lol

Tom

Attachments

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Congrats on the RPR. It will get better and better through the next 1K rounds as it breaks in. The Athlon scope will serve you well. Both together is a very cost effective precision 22lr package.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Next Saturday at DSRPC there will be an practice session for Tactical 22 Rifle. This is the off month in the NRL22 schedule before the new season starts in June. It would be a great opportunity for you guys that want to give this sport a try to get out and see how it works. Mostly it's just a bunch of fun. Show up and bring your rifle.

Here's some basic info for you.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
The next type of 22LR shooting coming into popularity is ELR 22. It will test the limits of the caliber and your gear. Optics and how they are setup is the limiting factor. 20 to 30mils is within the requirements of distances out to 400 to 500+ yards. Trying to call wind out past 400 is like a centerfire going out past a mile.

Is there predictable drop from the bullet at longer distances? Back before the ammo scarcity, I shot the 10/22 I had to about 200 but never further.

Though I have never tried any distance beyond 100yds with a 22lr looking at some ballistic calculators they indicate somewhere around a 50 FOOT drop at that range (+/- 600 inches) with a 50yd zero (CCI SV at 1070fps). Been reading people are runnng 30moa rails then going with an optic mount with an additional 20-30moa to help one get that far. 10 mph worth of wind is going to blow the bullet somewhere in the 10 FOOT (120 inches) left/right spectrum at 500yds.

If I'm reading the ballistic calculators correctly anyways.

Tricky stuff.

Tom

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
THe Ruger RPR 22lr now has aftermarket barrel available from ER Shaw and Green Mountain. Pricing is running fro the high $100"s to mid $200's. Reviews are just starting to come in but they look promising.

Sometime in the future Tika will be coming out with their new 22lr offering. It is already overdue so trying to get an ETA is impossible.

The market is responding to demand as usual. Some companies are rushing to market while others are taking time to respond. The results are still varied but give it some time and I believe that this will be the 2nd birth of the 22lr. Now if the ammunition manufacturers could break a little new ground things could really get exciting.

I have the Shaw. Last KYL match at CCSC I cleared the rack on the first round. Middle rounds the wind was weird and screwed everyone. Last round I stopped on the 7th target of 8. Windy but consistent so was able to compensate. Wasn't feeling the risk of going for #8 was worth it. IMO the stock barrel is a 1/2" group shooter at best at 50yds. You can't get any better that I could find w/o going to stupidly expensive ammo. The Shaw can get you much closer to 1/4" 5 shot groups if the shooter does his job with what I will call reasonably priced match grade rimfire ammo. SK PM.

Last edited:

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
I have the Shaw. Last KYL match at CCSC I cleared the rack on the first round. Middle rounds the wind was weird and screwed everyone. Last round I stopped on the 7th target of 8. Windy but consistent so was able to compensate. Wasn't feeling the risk of going for #8 was worth it. IMO the stock barrel is a 1/2" group shooter at 50yds. You can't get any better that I could find w/o going to stupidly expensive ammo. The Shaw can get you much closer to 1/4" groups if the shooter does his job. SK PM.
Is your Shaw barrel Bentz chambered?