POLL of your Preference: Hammer or Striker Fired?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I much prefer the hammer fired trigger, but the weight of the striker fired (Walther PPS M2 and G43 before it) is what works for EDC.

Last edited:

Ramone

Obsessed Member
Glock 17 - 9mm
S&W M&P - 9mm
Sig Sauer P226 - 9mm
Beretta 92FS - 9mm
S&W M&P - .40S&W
Glock 21 - .45ACP
Colt 1911 - .45ACP
S&W M&P - .45ACP

Pretty much the only guns worth owning and training with now.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Glock 17 - 9mm
S&W M&P - 9mm
Sig Sauer P226 - 9mm
Beretta 92FS - 9mm
S&W M&P - .40S&W
Glock 21 - .45ACP
Colt 1911 - .45ACP
S&W M&P - .45ACP

What no Walther love? Come on now....;)

Also if you can get an HK P7 of any flavor they are super sweet shooting guns.

Ramone

Obsessed Member
The list posted above are the guns used as rentals at Gunsite. They have stood up to hard use through many hands. This fact is not to say that the Walther could not do so too. Perhaps the P99 has, and it would not surprise me. As for the HK P7, it is now a collector's item because service for it is waning at Heckler and Koch. Running pistols hard with training, practice, and competition will cause them to need service and repair. You want one that has good support for this need. Whether hammer or striker, a reliable pistol needs smart people supporting it.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
...Also if you can get an HK P7 of any flavor they are super sweet shooting guns.
But if you're going to put more than a couple mags through it, you'd better be wearing gloves! They get HOT! I flipped my original version back when the flipping was good. I knew I wasn't going to let it do much more than collect dust. And my muscle memory would never let it be something instinctual to use.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The list posted above are the guns used as rentals at Gunsite. They have stood up to hard use through many hands. This fact is not to say that the Walther could not do so too. Perhaps the P99 has, and it would not surprise me. As for the HK P7, it is now a collector's item because service for it is waning at Heckler and Koch. Running pistols hard with training, practice, and competition will cause them to need service and repair. You want one that has good support for this need. Whether hammer or striker, a reliable pistol needs smart people supporting it.
The PPQ is basically a product improved P99. Mine has well over 1k of rounds through it. Sure it’s no rental pistol but I have no doubt it will perform when needed.

Yeah the P7 is more a collectors pistol than a daily shooter, but when was the last time that pure practicality was the only reason to own a pistol. I don’t carry my P7M8 daily. However it’s a really fun pistol to take to the range and I carry it on the odd occasion I feel like being different. Remember you said

Hell Springfield and FN make pretty good stuff too. There isn’t a good case to exclude any of the major manufactures for reliability reasons.

But if you're going to put more than a couple mags through it, you'd better be wearing gloves! They get HOT!
True statement. Likely not an issue for a civilian gunfight, but if at the range be sure to bring another pistol to shoot while the P7 cools or have lots of spare time and friend to chit-chat with.

For quick reactive shooting, a striker-fired pistol is a good choice. With an out-of-the-box model, it is easy to learn to draw and keep them in the A Zone out to 15 yards, very fast. In contrast, with a DA/SA pistol, while it can be done, the learning curve will be longer. It is why the Glock and its many imitators have taken over. People can feel confident in short order with these pistols. Yet, put the target at 25 yards, or farther, and ask a person to take careful aim, most will struggle to keep the hits COM at the longer distances. Trigger control is uneven on a striker-fired pistol. The flinch will be revealed: Low and to the right.