Picked Up Another Henry,This One In .357/38 Special

Just got back from camping last week near Caliente.Took my new Henry along in .357.This is one of the best gun purchases I ever made.Hardly any recoil and is new shooter friendly.Super smooth action that does'nt hurt your fingers.Won it on auction NIB for $530 no reserve and they are at Sportsmans Warehouse for $759.It's very fun to shoot even though it's old school.I have all the tactical stuff but this is a different kind of fun.

Attachments

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Nice rifle. Yes they are old school but very fun. Henry make a very nice rifle. I picked up a Golden Boy 22lr a few months ago and it is very fun to shoot silhouette matches at DSRPC.

Flying Tiger;

I picked my Henry .44 magnum Carbine this past Monday and it sure is a sweet rifle. I also put in my order for another Henry in .45-70 in brass with a big loop lever that I got for $715 with my Buds Team discount. I could not pass up that deal. Made in the USA or not made at all, right?

Teresa

uber Member
Just got back from camping last week near Caliente.Took my new Henry along in .357.This is one of the best gun purchases I ever made.Hardly any recoil and is new shooter friendly.Super smooth action that does'nt hurt your fingers.Won it on auction NIB for $530 no reserve and they are at Sportsmans Warehouse for $759.It's very fun to shoot even though it's old school.I have all the tactical stuff but this is a different kind of fun.
Nice!

You guys with the larger caliber Henry's how's the recoil on those.44 mag,45/70 and.41mag.Is it manageable.I needed something a little lighter due to herniated disk surgury on my neck 2 years ago.I also like some of the Henry's in the shorter barrel being a little lighter and faster on target.I watched some of the YouTube videos with them.I took along my M-4 camping and didn't even shoot it.I had a large Baggie with a couple of hundred .357 reloads the shot well.
Can't wait till my next camp trip.

Attachments

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I had one in 45 Colt but never shot it before selling it. I do have the 22 and 357 and sure enjoy them!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Went out yesterday to the Cold Creek area with my Henry.357 shooting it long range about 150 yards out for some fun.I was using American Eagle 158 grain semi-jacketed soft flat point.Not my first choice,they had a few hang ups.Fiocchi 142gr.FMJTC is the perfect ammo for this gun and will always work flawlessly.

Last edited:
I loaded up a round based on this that my Henry loves.
http://www.powderrivercartridge.com/38-special-ammo-p/38s125-1000.htm

They ended up running me about 11 or 13 cents per round. I forget.

This is what I ended up with:
125gr TC (Clark's) Trail Boss 4.2gr OAL 1.500"

(That's a cast, Truncated Cone, Flat Point bullet.)
That bullet shape works best for sure,they slide right up the feeding ramp every time.I was just finishing up other brands I still had left over first.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
That bullet shape works best for sure,they slide right up the feeding ramp every time.I was just finishing up other brands I still had left over first.
The OAL is important as well. No hangups whatsoever with that length. The shorter ones did have issues feeding.

Enjoy that Henry. They are a lot of fun!!

Good To Go

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My Son took a Urban Rifle course at Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch in Oregon.

Of the 30 guys with all kinds of AR's my son was there with his Henry 357 and had a blast. After seeing my son have a blast about 1/2 the class want's to take the course with Lever Action Rifles.

He did bring his AR's for back up but never needed them. For the 3 day course it ran flawless and shot great and even clearing the house it worked well.

Steve

Hey guys, I bought a Big Boy Steel in 357 mag and I love it but... my old eyes are not what they used to be. I was thinking of a scope. :reaction:

Can anybody recommend one that would work ok? I just want something to help my eyesight.

nevadachuck

Don't Give Up Your Guns
Hey guys, I bought a Big Boy Steel in 357 mag and I love it but... my old eyes are not what they used to be. I was thinking of a scope. :reaction:

Can anybody recommend one that would work ok? I just want something to help my eyesight.
I'm kind of in the same boat... old age vision. I have a couple of Marlins with the front sight covered by a shroud (proper terminology?) I have a couple others with the front sight replaced with the shroud. It really helps me. Just food for thought. :cheers2

I'm kind of in the same boat... old age vision. I have a couple of Marlins with the front sight covered by a shroud (proper terminology?) I have a couple others with the front sight replaced with the shroud. It really helps me. Just food for thought. :cheers2
First off apologies for hyjacking this thread. I’m not sure what the shroud would do. I can see the front dot on the Henry and I can see the V notch on the sight. I can put the dot on the V notch, but I can’t focus the sight, dot and target clear enough to get tight groups.

A lot of people say peep sights. But all this seems like I would just be trying to focus my old eyes another way. A scope would only have one signal plane to focus on so that’s why I was thinking scope.