Picked up a Frost Cutlery knife

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I was looking for an inexpensive fixed blade that I could keep in the truck or carry occasionally.
Found a Frost Cutlery The Whistler on ebay for $5.75/free ship. I had a Frost folder years ago that held up well.
For that price I figured what the heck....I may try to find a horizontal carry sheath in kydex or leather.

some specs:

Overall Length:9.00"
Blade Length:4.50"
Cutting Edge:4.00"
Blade Thickness:0.14"
Blade Material:Stainless Steel
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Grind: Hollow
Finish: Black
Edge Type: Plain

Last edited:

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
I was looking for an inexpensive fixed blade that I could keep in the truck or carry occasionally.
Found a Frost Cutlery The Whistler on ebay for $5.75/free ship. I had a Frost folder years ago that held up well.
For that price I figured what the heck....I may try to find a horizontal carry sheath in kydex or leather.

some specs:

Overall Length:9.00"
Blade Length:4.50"
Cutting Edge:4.00"
Blade Thickness:0.14"
Blade Material:Stainless Steel
Blade Style:Drop Point
Blade Grind:Hollow
Finish:Black
Edge Type:plain

I like that knife. I have many Frost knives. Check out this site.
http://www.cutlerycorner.net/Products/Category?p1=Fixed+Blades+&+Hunters

jmano

uber Member
I am always skeptical when the blade material is just listed as “stainless steel”. It has taken me awhile but I finally learned that a couple extra bucks for decent steel is well worth it.

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I am always skeptical when the blade material is just listed as “stainless steel”. It has taken me awhile but I finally learned that a couple extra bucks for decent steel is well worth it.
I know. This is really going to be a beater knife I keep in the truck.
I have Kershaws, Gebers and Buck folders. I just wanted a inexpensive fixed blade that I can use and abuse if need be.

geo

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I have a knife that I used in my garage as a beater knife, thing keeps a nice edge, razor sharp, easy to get a nice hair popping edge. I liked it so much I had a friend make a sheath for it, then I redid the scales on it. They were hollow plastic with some crazy camo pattern on it, looked like this.

So I took a hunk of firewood, split it down, shaved it down, cut it in half and after shaping and refinishing, it looks like this. I also stripped off the black finish on the blade as well. I would not hesitate to toss this knife in a survival kit, thing just works. Sometimes cheap knives can shock you :)

geo

Obsessed Member
Staff member
It was pretty easy, I have never done anything like that before and figured it was going to be a mess, but with a good belt sander, some time, you can make it look pretty good.

Nice work on the scales and stripping the blade. I never really cared for coated blades but I guess they serve their purpose. I spend lots on my blades because for me their tools and I don't buy cheap tools. I do have a Kershaw Folder in the garage but still has decent but not great steel. My next purchase should be here Saturday A Nathan Carothers performance knife EDC 3" fixed blade. The way I look at it you get what you pay for in blades.