Officer, I fired Center Mass

While reading comments on the recent Tulsa, Ok OIS, one person asked why the Officer could not fired have to disable rather than to kill. First, even if a suspect is shot in the arm or leg he or she can still fire at Officers and/or citizens nearby. Officers are taught, when they perceive a lethal threat to themselves or others, to fire "center mass". Based on this fact, I have some advice to any of you if you are ever involved in a defensive shooting. When you are asked and you WILL be asked what you aimed for, reply with words to the effect that I fired center Mass. The Officer may or may not say so but in his/her mind they will think that that is the way I am trained.

Lrh502

Very Active Member
Only problem is in the current social/political climate it doesn't matter if the shooting is by the book correct-if the assailant you shoot has more skin pigmentation than you the media and SJW/BLM scum will crucify and work tirelessly to destroy you.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I don't think you are required to answer such questions. I can't see how it can help your case no matter what you say. Any answer you give to such a question will be used to make you look bad. Imagine what it would sound like in court if there is a recording of you saying the phrase "center mass" even without any context. Unless you are military or law enforcement, the prosecutor could be using that to spin you as a wannabe rambo using tactical jargon.

In general you should keep things pretty much to the point. Tell the officer you acted in self-defense. Tell the officer if you kicked the bad guys gun in the bush so they can find it. But don't really say much more than that. Police policy for officers generally allows a 24 hour period prior to making a statement after the use of deadly force because when a person is hyped up on adrenaline, making a cogent statement can be difficult. They should understand if you tell them you'll need time to calm down but that you'll be happy to make a full statement later. And hopefully at that time you also have an attorney present too. And I doubt an attorney is going to entertain such a question like that which is entirely immaterial to the case. The only purpose for such a question is to attack your character no matter what response you give.

jim

Obsessed Member
If I'm ever in a defensive shooting I personally won't be answering any questions without my attorney. Why take any chances even if you're 100% in the right.

I have some advice to any of you if you are ever involved in a defensive shooting. When you are asked and you WILL be asked what you aimed for, reply with words to the effect that I fired center Mass. The Officer may or may not say so but in his/her mind they will think that that is the way I am trained.
I have some advice, if the officers ask you anything, reply with "I am waiting for my legal representation". Be polite, but nothing ever good came from talking with the police. With my wife being a criminal defense lawyer here and in south Florida for 15 years you would be amazed on how much the cops/DA's try to twist anything on the record into vigilantism.

I have some advice, if the officers ask you anything, reply with "I am waiting for my legal representation". Be polite, but nothing ever good came from talking with the police. With my wife being a criminal defense lawyer here and in south Florida for 15 years you would be amazed on how much the cops/DA's try to twist anything on the record into vigilantism.
SAY NOTHING WITHOUT YOUR LAWYER PRESENT
Absolutely, the best advice ever. Worth repeating.
Cops are not there as your friends.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The advice I remember the most was as follows:

Sir/madam i was in fear for my life. Point out any meaningful evidence like the attackers firearm/knife, a camera that may have seen the events, etc. Then you say I'd like to fill out a complaint against the person who just defended yourself from as soon as your lawyer gets there. After that be quiet.