• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NV AB349 Classic Car Plates & Insurance

I use Hagerty for classic car insurance because it is way cheaper than my regular insurance. The company is far more "relaxed" than I expected. I sold my 73 Plymouth, but I have my 99 Miata and 2000 Wrangler on the classic car policy. I even have my 2011 NHP Crown Vic on the policy (although it doesn't have classic plates). So I expect the new law will be rough for those rolling old minivans and work trucks. To qualify for classic car insurance, you have to have normal insurance on a daily driver so those with 1 vehicle will also be SOL.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Bringing this back to the top. I went ahead and got a new policy for the jeep, just to get it off my procrastination list, and for the life of me, I don’t see what it accomplishes. It would have made more sense to charge me a fee of some sort to make up for my 1000 miles or so a year in which I pollute more than a modern vehicle

What does it accomplish? Well insurance was already required, so switching the "title" of the policy accomplishes nothing. Maybe its our leader's politically correct way of punishing folks without the means to fix their old vehicle. If you can only afford one, broken, vehicle, you won't be able to get classic car insurance so you can't register your vehicle.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
What does it accomplish? Well insurance was already required, so switching the "title" of the policy accomplishes nothing. Maybe its our leader's politically correct way of punishing folks without the means to fix their old vehicle. If you can only afford one, broken, vehicle, you won't be able to get classic car insurance so you can't register your vehicle.
I would have thought that as well, but, they’ve always required you to have a daily driver with insurance in that you’re not supposed to use the classic for basically anything but show

Aswild

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Bringing this back to the top. I went ahead and got a new policy for the jeep, just to get it off my procrastination list, and for the life of me, I don’t see what it accomplishes. It would have made more sense to charge me a fee of some sort to make up for my 1000 miles or so a year in which I pollute more than a modern vehicle
Can u explain to me what u did I have a classic vehicle tag as well that expired and want to re register it again as I only drive it to the range

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Many places won't insure a classic if you don't have an everyday vehicle insured. And Hagerty doesn't consider a motorcycle an everyday vehicle.

Some insurers require a classic to be garage kept, or a carport.

The law change changes nothing , other than to further inconvenience people.

I will say I have seen an awful lot of landscaper,, roofing or handyman work trucks with classic or classic rod plates, while having their company name on the doors. Those plates are certainly not for commercial.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Can u explain to me what u did I have a classic vehicle tag as well that expired and want to re register it again as I only drive it to the range
Sure. I called my insurance company and told them I needed to amend my coverage on the jeep to classic. They don’t cover classic and recommended Hagerty. I did the whole thing online in like 10 minutes without talking to a soul

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If I ran Haggerty, I’d identify a huge market for insuring 1990’s Hondas as classics.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I just saw a "Classic Rod" plate tonight on a foul smelling oil burning 1987 Toyota SR5 pickup truck
How is a Toyota a classic rod?

Speaking of which. I would love to find a nice condition original 240Z one day. Can't afford a freaking muscle car anymore.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I just saw a "Classic Rod" plate tonight on a foul smelling oil burning 1987 Toyota SR5 pickup truck

Speaking of which. I would love to find a nice condition original 240Z one day. Can't afford a freaking muscle car anymore.
Nevada classic rod is : " Vehicles manufactured not earlier than 1949, but at least 20 years before application"

1987 is 35 years, so it qualifies.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Plenty of folks look at that ‘87 SR5 in the same light you probably see that classic 240Z. There’s a beauty to cars and trucks from the 1980’s that brings nostalgia to those of us who grew up admiring them as new, and in many of the classic car circles, the 80’s are being brought into the fold. I’ve personally got a soft spot for old square body trucks and Yotas, whereas a 60’s VW does nothing for me (unless it’s got a Porsche engine overhanging the back end).

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
you’re not supposed to use the classic for basically anything but show

Depends on policy. Hagerty lets you declare annual mileage, and they also have an option for it to be considered a "seasonal daily driver."

They've also told me over the phone that if I'm driving my classic truck and day I need to stop at home depot and pick up some lumber, that that is totally fine.

The things they WOULDNT let me do in the past, however, is go "off road" or tow a trailer. Unless that trailer was matched to the truck and say, towing another classic car on it to a car show.

The other issue here, is that Farmers, for example, will not provide collision or comprehensive insurance on any vehicle older than 1970 I think it was. So, I am forced to have a classic policy anyway on my truck if I want anything other than liability.

What I should do is just carry both policies. Haggerty for all of the declared value full coverage type (poop), and a Farmers policy for if anything bad happened when I was say, towing a trailer full of gravel or something.

Its all idiotic and arbitrary.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Depends on policy. Hagerty lets you declare annual mileage, and they also have an option for it to be considered a "seasonal daily driver."

They've also told me over the phone that if I'm driving my classic truck and day I need to stop at home depot and pick up some lumber, that that is totally fine.

The things they WOULDNT let me do in the past, however, is go "off road" or tow a trailer. Unless that trailer was matched to the truck and say, towing another classic car on it to a car show.

The other issue here, is that Farmers, for example, will not provide collision or comprehensive insurance on any vehicle older than 1970 I think it was. So, I am forced to have a classic policy anyway on my truck if I want anything other than liability.

What I should do is just carry both policies. Haggerty for all of the declared value full coverage type (poop), and a Farmers policy for if anything bad happened when I was say, towing a trailer full of gravel or something.

Good to hear about the bit of leeway on the depot thing

JB33

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Hey I have a question- do I need to switch insurance when my current insurance policy ends, or is it at my next registration? Or is it right on January 1? I’ve been searching high and low and can’t figure out exactly when I need it by. My next insurance period will be Feb-August and my next registration isn’t until next October.

My read on the new rule is that you need the classic car policy when you go to renew the vehicle registration:

• You must show the Declarations page from your insurance policy as proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance that is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles and meets the minimum liability coverage. You must submit this at your next renewal or at the time you first obtain plates.
https://dmv.nv.gov/platesclassic.htm

Of course I don't work at the DMV so who knows. I use Hagerty for my classic car insurance and it is much cheaper than my Geico insurance for my daily driver. It may be worth getting quotes from a classic car insurance company when your insurance renews just to save some money.

JB33

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
My read on the new rule is that you need the classic car policy when you go to renew the vehicle registration:

• You must show the Declarations page from your insurance policy as proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance that is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles and meets the minimum liability coverage. You must submit this at your next renewal or at the time you first obtain plates.
https://dmv.nv.gov/platesclassic.htm

Of course I don't work at the DMV so who knows. I use Hagerty for my classic car insurance and it is much cheaper than my Geico insurance for my daily driver. It may be worth getting quotes from a classic car insurance company when your insurance renews just to save some money.
that is how I read it, but one of the local insurance places here is telling me it’s renewal of my insurance, not my plates. Not sure if he is just trying to get another sale or if I’m missing a detail in the law.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My read is that you’ll need a classic insurance policy active and in-force when your plate goes to renew. You can end the current policy mid term and get the new one if you want to wait til the last week of your plate’s expiration.

That's why I stopped doing business with Farmers Insurance.