• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NV AB349 Classic Car Plates & Insurance

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
FYI. For those with classic plates/registration:

"Beginning January 1, 2023, owners of vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod, or Old Timer license plates will be required to carry classic or antique vehicle insurance. Owners who do not meet the requirements will have to obtain a different license plate style."

"These are new laws passed during the 2021 Nevada Legislature. See Assembly Bill 349."

I don't recall hearing anything about this bill. I heard about it on the news after the law was passed.

You can't tell me there isn't a political agenda to get older cars off the road, ie global warming. The state legislature voted along party lines.
All Dem. voted yes. All Rep. voted no and the governor approved it.

At least I won't have to worry about it for a whole year and my insurance carrier has some sort of classic car insurance. I'm sure it will be more expensive
then the basic liability coverage that is required now.

The sad part is, This past year I only put 1 mile on my car. The previous year was only 12 miles and that included a round trip to the DMV office.

Covid shutdown, job lay-off, hot weather, and now gas prices have parked the car. Now it needs new rear tires....:rolleyes:

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Yeah I have no issue with them doing this for the 80s/90s sboxes, but should have some thought process for actual classics that can be driven regularly.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Its not political, its to put a stop to all the idiots with “Classic Rod” plates on their 90s $hitbox sedans and suvs just to sidestep the smog requirements.
And it will serve the purpose to have those cars that can't pass smog off the road. I still think it has a green agenda

IMO, it's a sideways way to tie up the law they already have to classify a classic vehicle. They should have a rolling exemption date from the current 1967- older exemption or a 1975 older exemption like CA does.

A lot of the cars with "classic" plates wouldn't qualify if the DMV actually checked/verified mileages.
I know there are plenty of them that exceed the 5,000 mile limitation.

I asked one time why I had to come in person to renew my classic plates. The DMV clerk told me because I needed to fill out the mileage affidavit.
I asked why I couldn't just mail it in since the DMV doesn't actually verify the mileage on the paperwork to the vehicle.
The clerk just looked at me and told me, because I needed to sign the affidavit. I said whatever and proceeded to hand her the mileage affidavit that I filled out and signed at home.

During the covid shutdown. I mailed my forms and got my renewal in the mail.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have been seeing lots of older pickup trucks being used for roofing/construction with classic rod plates on them.
The plates were never meant for business use.

Aswild

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I have a classic plate it expires this month I wonder if they will renew it since law doesn’t go into effect till next year. When I got my card in the mail that was the first I heard about it

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
FYI. For those with classic plates/registration:

"Beginning January 1, 2023, owners of vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod, or Old Timer license plates will be required to carry classic or antique vehicle insurance. Owners who do not meet the requirements will have to obtain a different license plate style."

"These are new laws passed during the 2021 Nevada Legislature. See Assembly Bill 349."

I don't recall hearing anything about this bill. I heard about it on the news after the law was passed.

You can't tell me there isn't a political agenda to get older cars off the road, ie global warming. The state legislature voted along party lines.
All Dem. voted yes. All Rep. voted no and the governor approved it.

At least I won't have to worry about it for a whole year and my insurance carrier has some sort of classic car insurance. I'm sure it will be more expensive
then the basic liability coverage that is required now.

The sad part is, This past year I only put 1 mile on my car. The previous year was only 12 miles and that included a round trip to the DMV office.

Covid shutdown, job lay-off, hot weather, and now gas prices have parked the car. Now it needs new rear tires....:rolleyes:
Remember Obama’s Cash For Clunkers program?
And then they poured epoxy into the engine blocks of all the cars so that they could never be salvaged and used again? A big FU to American classic car culture, under the guise of “environmentalism”, and at taxpayer expense.

Also, remember that Thomas Edison, J.P. Morgan, and the US Gov conspired to discredit and destroy Nikola Tesla and his electric AC car motor, so that gas engines and Standard Oil could have a monopoly and prosper. Descendants of those deals still running the show in America today.

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
And it will serve the purpose to have those cars that can't pass smog off the road. I still think it has a green agenda

IMO, it's a sideways way to tie up the law they already have to classify a classic vehicle. They should have a rolling exemption date from the current 1967- older exemption or a 1975 older exemption like CA does.

A lot of the cars with "classic" plates wouldn't qualify if the DMV actually checked/verified mileages.
I know there are plenty of them that exceed the 5,000 mile limitation.

I asked one time why I had to come in person to renew my classic plates. The DMV clerk told me because I needed to fill out the mileage affidavit.
I asked why I couldn't just mail it in since the DMV doesn't actually verify the mileage on the paperwork to the vehicle.
The clerk just looked at me and told me, because I needed to sign the affidavit. I said whatever and proceeded to hand her the mileage affidavit that I filled out and signed at home.

During the covid shutdown. I mailed my forms and got my renewal in the mail.
As a rule, they want you to sign it in front of a witness, and on camera because it is signed under penalty of perjury. If the milage doesn’t jive and they decide to go after someone targeted for Perjury By Declaration, they have their evidence.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
As a rule, they want you to sign it in front of a witness, and on camera because it is signed under penalty of perjury. If the milage doesn’t jive and they decide to go after someone targeted for Perjury By Declaration, they have their evidence.
I understand that but the fact that she didn't care that the form I handed her was already signed and didn't say a word irked me.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Its not political, its to put a stop to all the idiots with “Classic Rod” plates on their 90s $hitbox sedans and suvs just to sidestep the smog requirements.
Yeah I have no issue with them doing this for the 80s/90s sboxes, but should have some thought process for actual classics that can be driven regularly.

Its this. I am all 100% 1000% 10000% for getting classic plates off of the (poop)boxes.

That being said, MORE LEGISLATION is never the (lov)ing answer and I HATE this requirement. What they SHOULD have done, is just change the requirement so that only cars 1979 and older can get any of the classic plates, and then remove the smog requirement for anything with a classic plate. Would have had the same effect and it would have worked by REDUCING regulation.

Its the single most absurd thing in the WORLD that my 1968 and 1969 vehicles "have to" pass smog or be limited to the number of miles they can drive.

But now I have to have classic car insurance, which in the case of my truck, or an old jeep, limits what I can do with it.

In all reality, just get the (lov) rid of smog for anything that doesn't have an OBDII port and call it a goddamn day, let the 1980-1995 (poop)boxes be (poop)boxes.

Rem222

RD2
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I am not the brightest member of this forum but I have not seen in NV AB349 where my 72 El Camino will have to pass smog.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
I am not the brightest member of this forum but I have not seen in NV AB349 where my 72 El Camino will have to pass smog.
You will be required to carry specialty insurance to continue to keep the classic plates.

"Beginning January 1, 2023,

You must show the Declarations page from your insurance policy as proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance that is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles

If you do not meet these requirements, you must obtain a different plate style and an emissions inspection if needed. These requirements apply to all vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod or Old Timer plates regardless of location or whether they are subject to emissions testing."